TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Well it looks like Six Flags's embargo on anything made by Vekoma (that started after the Deja Vu fiasco) has ended. I think it'd be a good addition to the park. Out of curiosity, though, don't they still have that Bradley and Kaye kiddie coaster, too?

Actually, not quite. They technically didn't buy this coaster from Vekoma, they just relocated it. It was originally bought before the anti-Vekoma embargo, so it doesn't mean that it has ended. And yes, the Bradley Kaye kiddie coaster is still there.

Ok, thanks! That makes sense (the kiddie coaster relocation).

I actually love the theme...very creative use of the "shoes."

Not to mention, I love Mr. Six's theme song; it gets me really pumped up and...ready to party. (Or in this case, dance. )

Am I the only person that thinks having Mr. Six be the theme of a kiddie coaster is a BAD idea?

He's creepy enough as it is and to have your guest's children riding in his shoe, well, isn't that sending the wrong message?

LOL

I can hear it now...

"Mommy Mommy, I want to take a ride on Mr. Six!"

Finally someone else shares my concerns.

How will you feel when I tell you SFNE is getting a Mr. Six themed water park expansion?

Am I the only person that thinks having Mr. Six be the theme of a kiddie coaster is a BAD idea?

He's creepy enough as it is and to have your guest's children riding in his shoe, well, isn't that sending the wrong message?

LOL

I can hear it now...

"Mommy Mommy, I want to take a ride on Mr. Six!"

Finally someone else shares my concerns.

How will you feel when I tell you SFNE is getting a Mr. Six themed water park expansion?

A geriatric themed water park? Will their toilet bowl slide land you in an oversized bed pan?

I don't know where everyone is getting the idea that there is going to be music, lights, fire, an inclosure or any effects or theming other that some red and black paint and shoe-shaped cars. The press release mentioned none of this, and I can guarantee that it's going make Gadget's Go Coaster look like the most incredibly immersive experience ever.

While it's an okay addition, the park could have used a non-coaster ride FAR more than they could have used this.

^That wasn't a press release.

^^Nothing has been released about the water park expansion for SFNE other than the name, Mr Six's Splash Island and that it is geared for little kids.

Is there a reason why you've been coming across so rude in your posts lately or have you just always been like this?

... almost Japanese-to-English like.

My thoughts exactly. I understand copyright issues get in the way but surely they could have gone with something less awkward.

How about Mr. Six's dance bash, dance train, party train, groovy coaster.

heck, anything besides "dance coaster."

While I am not excited about this coaster in any way, it is nice that younger kids will have another coaster to ride. I have been on the clone at Castle Park and didn't enjoy it. I found it to be equivalent to the Canyon Blaster, very short and not very much fun. I will ride it at least once since it is a new coaster at my favorite park then decide if I ever want to ride it again, which is unlikely.

Just thinking about this, it's nice that SFMM has three small coasters for kids/families. That's actually more than some parks have. Gold Rusher and Ninja (with its relatively low 42" height limit) help round out a decent group of coasters for everyone.

Eric

^ But Gold Rusher has a height restriction of 48". That's totally ridiculous! "Hey son, you're tall enough now for... Gold Rusher, X2, Terminator Salvation The Ride, Superman, and Goliath..."

Gold Rusher *should* be 42" or at very most 44". I can't think of another Arrow mine train (or many other mine trains at all for that matter) that isn't. Oh, wait, yes I can...Jaguar. Which is totally stupid for other reasons that I don't even want to go into now.

Big Thunder Mountain is 40" ...Heck, Hersheypark's Arrow Mine Train is 36"!

Gold Rusher is absolutely a "family coaster", and it's a great one too... it's just too bad that by the time everyone in the family is tall enough for it, they've moved on...probably because they've been riding Big Thunder Mountain for the last 4 years and are ready for something bigger.

Why do you think Gold Rusher's station is always empty and Big Thunder Mountain has a line? Because one ride targets the correct audience while the other one doesn't. The people who want to ride Gold Rusher can't, and those who can no longer care.

I can't wait to take KidTums on Big Thunder Mountain and by the time she's tall enough to ride Gold Rusher she really care because she'll have ridden plenty of other 42" - 44" inch coasters that are far more thrilling and interesting in that time.

Think about it, even if you compare just California's rides by the time she's tall enough for Gold Rusher she'll have ridden Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, Indiana Jones, Matterhorn, Mulholland Madness, Sierra Sidewinder, Technic Test Track, The Grizzly, Ninja, and bunch of other kiddie coasters. Do you think when she's finally 48" Gold Rusher is going to excite her?

Oh, of course she'll get the "credit" on it, but other than that? Why bother. It's a real shame. Because it really could be a good ride for families too...

Here's an idea for Magic Mountain, spend the money to make the modifications it would require to make Gold Rusher a 42" height restriction ride and re-market it as "Renovating Magic Mountain's History so the whole family can enjoy it." I mean, it's Six Flags Magic Mountain's first ever roller coaster. Give it some love and attention that it absolutely deserves! I think your "family audience" would really appreciate that too.

--Robb "Done with my Gold Rusher rant now..." Alvey

^If that's why they do it, at least they do it on a case by case basis, instead of making it a company-wide restriction.

Case in point, Adventure Express now has a 48" restriction, to match the other Cedar Fair mine trains, even though it has individual lap bars (unlike CCMR or Carolina Goldrusher). Which is unfortunate, as my bro is flirting with 44" this year.

In regards to the new ride though, I've always been a fan of Mr. Six, so I'm glad to see they're fully committing to his return.

I'd say that the lap bars were put into place much more for creating the illusion that you are "safe" and locked in, rather than being an actual restraint.

Considering the fact all 3 rows of lap bars in a car lock in the same place, it's rare the lap bar even gets near your lap unless you are the fattest/tallest person in your car. Otherwise you can fall out/climb out/etc. just as easy as a kid.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Gold Rusher's 48" requirement present because if a sub-48" rides with adult, the adult would keep the lab bar too far away from the kid, allowing him/her to possibly slide out from under it?

The same can be said for Big Thunder Mountain. The both use a single position lap bar for both riders in the train.

Runaway Mine Train, the Arrow Mine Train at Six Flags Great Adventure using a very similar single position lap bar and it's 44"

Other Arrow Mine trains in the Six Flags Family:

Roadrunner Express - Six Flags Fiesta Texas - 42"

Dahlonega Mine Train - SFOG - 42"

River King Mine Train - SFSL - 42" (I think this one also uses the same bar at SFMM)

Runaway Mine Train - SFGadv - 44"

Canyon Blaster - The Great Escape - 42"

The Runaway Mine Train - SFOT - 42"

Other Arrow mine trains operating in the US:

Big Bad John - Magic Springs - 42"

Carolina Goldrusher - Carowinds - 48"

Cedar Creek Mine Ride - Cedar Point - 48"

Thunderation - Silver Dollar City - 42"

Adventure Express - Kings Island - 44"

There you have it. There are 11 Arrow mine train roller coasters in the US. Only 3 of them operate with a 48" height restriction. And Magic Mountain's is the only one in the Six Flags family with a 48" height restriction.

It's not going to change. I don't expect it to. But it's a shame that such a great family ride doesn't get the attention I think it deserves. But hey, I have no room to complain as it doesn't affect me personally. I'll take my family to a park where they CAN ride more coasters!

--Robb

minetrain.jpg.503ca3b6df370144132fd60c44d7ce63.jpg

SFGadv's Mine Train restraint.

Robb, you might want to segregate out the Arrow mine trains that have seat belts in addition to the lap bar. Gold Rusher has no additional seat belt. An individual seat belt per row would remove the potential problem I described.

Past that, I'm just speculating here, but my first thought for the reason in the variance of the height requirement is each coaster's respective layout. I'd venture to say that Gold Rusher has a more intense layout in terms of drops & terrain. It might have been a consideration that went into establishing the height requirement.

Perhaps the question of why Gold Rusher has a 48" height requirement as opposed to the other Arrow Mine Trains is a good one to pose during the Q&A at this year's West Coast Bash?

Furthermore, I remain insanely jealous of KidTums' incredible access to various coasters in the USA & around the world.

Is there a reason why you've been coming across so rude in your posts lately or have you just always been like this?

No I wasn't trying to come off as rude. It was probably because it was late at night and I was tried. Sorry for coming off like that.

I'm just happy that Six Flags is getting away from theming all their rides to DC comics and movies and finally going for an original theme.