TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^Welcome to TPR. I havent been to SFMM in more than a few years but I think you might have just caught the park on a bad day. Remember it is winter time right before christmas so they wouldnt have a whole lot of staff available. They should also have postings of the rides that are closed at the ticket booths. Anyway I think you should give it a second chance. Maybe go after this coming summer.

I know I got a bad day, my luck with theme parks is very low (going to Legoland Windsor on the first day ever it was closed due to weather to name one experience) but I am annoyed with the way the park handled it. They could of ran both tracks on Colossus and Superman which were both open and stuggling to handle the queues they were getting as a result of the other ride's closures. I may try again if my parents want to go back to the LA area but we normally only go abroad for long trips once a year and I found queuing for the rides my sister wouldn't do somewhat intimidating and the looks I got with the flashpass were pretty nasty. It's a pity because nearly all of the rides I got on I found amazing.

Welcome to TPR. Sorry your visit to SFMM did not work out for you. I have not had problems like that and the high winds are what probably destroyed your day. Unfortunately for you they do close most coasters when the winds are strong enough and the park does clearly state that they don't give refunds for inclimate weather. I was there on 12/21/09 and with good weather operations were not an issue, except for what has recently been posted about 1/2 full trains running on Terminator. Deja Vu was open when I was there, but Batman and Goliath were closed. I hope you get a chance to come back and give SFMM another chance when weather is not an issue. I go there regularly and this is not typical of what happens there.

^Welcome to TPR. I havent been to SFMM in more than a few years but I think you might have just caught the park on a bad day. Remember it is winter time right before christmas so they wouldnt have a whole lot of staff available. They should also have postings of the rides that are closed at the ticket booths. Anyway I think you should give it a second chance. Maybe go after this coming summer.

I know I got a bad day, my luck with theme parks is very low (going to Legoland Windsor on the first day ever it was closed due to weather to name one experience) but I am annoyed with the way the park handled it. They could of ran both tracks on Colossus and Superman which were both open and stuggling to handle the queues they were getting as a result of the other ride's closures. I may try again if my parents want to go back to the LA area but we normally only go abroad for long trips once a year and I found queuing for the rides my sister wouldn't do somewhat intimidating and the looks I got with the flashpass were pretty nasty. It's a pity because nearly all of the rides I got on I found amazing.

lol Give SFMM another chance. It's a great park. You just went at the wrong time. I've gone to Six Flags MM in December before (Dec 30, 2005 to be exact-- when Tatsu's lift hill was just erected ), but I didn't go through the extent of annoyances as you have. I don't recall much annoyances actually.

Anyways, I don't think the park would have ran both sides of Superman or Colossus anyways.... if they don't run them ever simulataneously, I don't see why they should in this scenario.

The day wasn't a good day to go to the park. I think the park shouldn't have been open that day in particular.

I don't know why everyone recommends people the flashpass, as if it is essential to experience these rides, I personally never buy it and see no reason really.....but whatever. I do find it annoying when people have the flash pass and they take your spot on a ride like Superman...so I kinda feel for those who show you their nasty looks haha.

hey guys, ive been going on this website for many years but i just decided to make a profile and start posting. My name is Chad and im from San Diego.

ive been going to SFMM since i was 5 years old, I loved that park as a kid yet i havent been there since Tatsu opening week. anyway i made plans with some friends to go there on sunday for the first time in years, im really excited.

i was wondering if Goliath will be open, if not what other rides are closed right now? I will be bringing my camera so i'll try to get some pictures of the park and B:TR new paint job. Oh and how would i get some discounted tickets for the park for me and four friends. Thanks.

Chad DeLanzo

hey guys, ive been going on this website for many years but i just decided to make a profile and start posting. My name is Chad and im from San Diego.

ive been going to SFMM since i was 5 years old, I loved that park as a kid yet i havent been there since Tatsu opening week. anyway i made plans with some friends to go there on sunday for the first time in years, im really excited.

i was wondering if Goliath will be open, if not what other rides are closed right now? I will be bringing my camera so i'll try to get some pictures of the park and B:TR new paint job. Oh and how would i get some discounted tickets for the park for me and four friends. Thanks.

Chad DeLanzo

First: I like your name.

OK, I think you can get discounted tickets via Six Flags.com (online) for around $27.99 right now.

Goliath should be open, now... from what they said. But according to the SF site... it is closed.

So is Ninja and Deja Vu.

Let's see what other people say.... I'm going by what the site says.

Good luck and have fun.

Chad DeLanzo

Chad,

Please read this:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=224#224

Thank you!

--Robb

^ Were the rides "unexpectedly" closed or "unplanningly" closed?

Even though technically there is no "off season" in Southern California, about now is traditionally the time when a park can close a ride for maintenance/refurbishment. Better now than in the middle of July when parks can be at their busiest.

Eric

I don't know why everyone recommends people the flashpass, as if it is essential to experience these rides, I personally never buy it and see no reason really.....but whatever. I do find it annoying when people have the flash pass and they take your spot on a ride like Superman...so I kinda feel for those who show you their nasty looks haha.

I have found Flashpass to be unnecessary most of the time, but it has helped me get on many extra rides on a few visits when the park was very crowded. Two of the times I have used it were last July and August when the parking lot appeared to be near capacity and the lines were long on almost every more popular coaster. Using Flashpass I was able to get on nearly 40 total rides on both visits which is probably near double of what I could have done without it.

I've never been dissatisfied with it. The only time it isn't worth it is if the park is totally dead. If there's any kind of lines it makes your day so much more enjoyable to not have to stand in them that much. But then again, I loathe waiting in lines, so other people may feel differently.

Well it is sort of hard to judge on your first ever visit and if I didn't have it then I would have been queuing for 2 hours for tatsu and about an hour for Colossus. I will try to go back but to me the park seems like a bigger version of Thorpe Park - it's fun with friends because you are making jokes and don't really take much notice of the scenery but you try to avoid most other people. Also, are the roller coaster stations normally just a jumble of people with no staff member directing anyone?

^They are on busy days yeah, especially since they're probably understaffed right now. Being an SFMM local, I always make sure that I go on days that arent too bad (I actually went the day after you and the lines never got to more than like 10 minutes [well 20 for X2, but still very short]). I have been to SFMM on a bad day though, and I will agree that it gets pretty miserable, when the lines are long, the queues tend to be slow moving and unorganized. That said, that trip, and my spring break trip in 08 were the only 2 unsatisfactory visits I've had there. For obvious reasons.

Well it is sort of hard to judge on your first ever visit and if I didn't have it then I would have been queuing for 2 hours for tatsu and about an hour for Colossus. I will try to go back but to me the park seems like a bigger version of Thorpe Park - it's fun with friends because you are making jokes and don't really take much notice of the scenery but you try to avoid most other people. Also, are the roller coaster stations normally just a jumble of people with no staff member directing anyone?

I understand, man. To be honest with you, that was just a bad day. If the park had that many ride closures, I think it should have warranted a park closure.

I wasn't sure if you were recommended a flash pass or not... usually when there are people on this board that are talking about going to SFMM, some recommend that they buy a flash pass...which I think is unnecessary. If you have a great attack plan and familiarize yourself with the park, in many cases it will be unnecessary.

I agree with some of the things mentioned above about being able to get in more rides... that's probably true. I guess there's a benefit there, but I still prefer to go without it.

Damn.. I would not wait 2 hours for Tatsu...I wouldn't wait more than 5 minutes for Colossus.

...this sounds really painful.

Some rides are staffed with employees that direct people... rides like Tatsu, X, Deja Vu, for example all have additional staff for this purpose (you know, to limit the amount of people in the immediate station). I hate it for Deja Vu because I sometimes have to go with row I don't want (I like row 16)... but usually I just get to the park early and ride Deja Vu and Terminator first in the morning. ...so I digress....

Anyways, I don't understand what you mean about it being a bigger version of Thorpe Park. Could you elaborate a little more?

Some rides are staffed with employees that direct people... rides like Tatsu, X, Deja Vu, for example all have additional staff for this purpose (you know, to limit the amount of people in the immediate station). I hate it for Deja Vu because I sometimes have to go with row I don't want (I like row 16)... but usually I just get to the park early and ride Deja Vu and Terminator first in the morning. ...so I digress....

Anyways, I don't understand what you mean about it being a bigger version of Thorpe Park. Could you elaborate a little more?

Well both theme parks seem to try and build rides in extremely small spaces (Goliath and Colossus for example) and seem to let rides rot when the next one is built (I have heard the Riddler's station used to have strobes and lighting which has gone over time. In comparison, a roller coaster called Nemesis Inferno used to have red lighting in the station and in a tunnel with very thick misting and steam. Other water effects are also long gone. Some of them were fixed for the Halloween event only because a member of staff said he would do it for free in his own time) and the atmosphere can be very tense at points when you are a group of 2 or by yourself.

Also, we saw the sign for no refunds but we could of at least got our flashpass gold for another day or been given tickets that are one use but don't have a time you have to use them by. A 3 month expiry date is just stupid for abroad visitors who probably won't come back for at least a year.

Well both theme parks seem to try and build rides in extremely small spaces (Goliath and Colossus for example) and seem to let rides rot when the next one is built (I have heard the Riddler's station used to have strobes and lighting which has gone over time. In comparison, a roller coaster called Nemesis Inferno used to have red lighting in the station and in a tunnel with very thick misting and steam. Other water effects are also long gone. Some of them were fixed for the Halloween event only because a member of staff said he would do it for free in his own time) and the atmosphere can be very tense at points when you are a group of 2 or by yourself.

Also, we saw the sign for no refunds but we could of at least got our flashpass gold for another day or been given tickets that are one use but don't have a time you have to use them by. A 3 month expiry date is just stupid for abroad visitors who probably won't come back for at least a year.

That's funny, I went the day after, and the strobes in Riddler's station were actually finally working! And I highly disagree about them letting coasters rot. In the past few years, these coasters (that I can remember) have gotten full paint jobs:X2, Viper, Ninja, Deja Vu, Batman, and Goliath. However, I will agree that Scream has been totally left to rot (although it was a rotten ride to begin with ). Batman has also lost some of its effects like Nemmie Inferno, but for the most part, SFMM has been good at keeping their park presentable recently.

That's funny, I went the day after, and the strobes in Riddler's station were actually finally working! And I highly disagree about them letting coasters rot. In the past few years, these coasters (that I can remember) have gotten full paint jobs:X2, Viper, Ninja, Deja Vu, Batman, and Goliath. However, I will agree that Scream has been totally left to rot (although it was a rotten ride to begin with ). Batman has also lost some of its effects like Nemmie Inferno, but for the most part, SFMM has been good at keeping their park presentable recently.

I thought Dejavu was looking pretty shiny.. But I am glad that I was wrong and will try and get there if we travel to the area. Lightning never strikes twice in the same place (hopefully)! Colossus however at Thorpe Park looks a mess and no paintjob is in sight. A lot of paint was gone from the tracks after 3-4 years. I just hope that SFMM really do get some more staff and motivate some of the existing staff (Tatsu attendant, grrrr).

Deja Vu was repainted in the winter of 08 into 09, when it had a major rehab. Flash Pass was very useful when I used it last June, July and August when the park was very crowded. If you know which rides to hit first before the lines get too bad, the park layout and pick days when the crowds aren't that bad, you don't really need it. If you go on a busy day and want a decent amount of re-rides on the most popular coasters, Flash Pass is worth it. I have found the Regular to work fine. The Gold seems to be overkill, unless you can't stand to wait at all. Even on a busy day, you can find some less popular coasters to ride with short waits while you are waiting for your reservations to be ready.

I just hope that SFMM really do get some more staff and motivate some of the existing staff (Tatsu attendant, grrrr).

Oh, they will. I even think they have too many staff on certain rides during the summer. One ride in particular where they employ too many people, I think, is Riddlers Revenge... there's people standing around...totally not really needed.

As for the motivating part, you should call them out on it. Tell them they're not doing their job or to some effect...and make a scene out of it...

^^^ You're right. I couldn't remember exactly when it was painted, but I knew it was during that 5-6 month period when it was closed. Your post reminded me that it was in the Spring. The first time I rode it, following the long rehab, was in April, 09. It had been closed since approx Oct.