TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

his is a ride that hasn't gotten much love in the past 10 years and now it's going to look brand spankin' new.

I don't think the ride got any love (except yearly maintenance) since it opened in 1994

I like the colour, it will bring much needed new energy into this area of the park

I also think Riddler's Revenge would look nice if they painted just the rails black. But I will also admit that its paint job looks pretty nice for a 12-year-old ride.

And I saw Goliath today. It's not open because there's still a bit of painting left to do. But it looks really sharp.

Eric

It's awesome to see rides at SFMM getting painted!

As Robb pointed out, the color matches the comic book version of Batman. So it's not terribly out of place by any means. I would have preferred they kept the old color scheme, since now the ride will be the comic book colors while the rest of Gotham is based on Tim Burton's movie. But that's just nitpicking on my part...not a huge deal.

Where did someone say that SFOG's Batman being painted blue is just primer? I'm thinking that person is full of shit because its been blue for about a month now.

It looks good to me, regardless of how you think it fits in with the Gotham theme. Then again I'm one of the few who actually likes the yellow scheme

Where did someone say that SFOG's Batman being painted blue is just primer? I'm thinking that person is full of poo-poo because its been blue for about a month now.

It looks good to me, regardless of how you think it fits in with the Gotham theme. Then again I'm one of the few who actually likes the yellow scheme

It was posted on ScreamScape, with a picture of just spots of blue over the SFoG clone, suggesting that it was just a primer for new paint. However, SFMM may be going in a different direction.

I was there Sunday (12/20). Did not immediately notice Batman's blue paint, looks nice actually. Breaks up the grey tones of "Gotham City". I saw them working on Gearwork's q. Quite a few things were closed..Goliath (which is vibrant now and I anticipated that closure), Collosuss (surprise), Tidal Wave (seasonal), Roaring Rapids (seasonal), Terminator down to 1 train, didn't notice Ninja running, and Superman crawling up the left tower.

Thomas Town cul de sac fully operational and vacant. Still had an enjoyable yet brief visit.

Couple of observations.

There is a considerable amount fo dead space at the park. Next to Johnny Rockets (County Fair), there is a basketball carny game in front of some kind of falling apart structure. Kind of a waste of space considering most people play the basketball challenge instead. Perfect spot for an actual ride. Same for the former monorail stations. Quite a bit of potential open area in those locations.

The Longhorn BBQ is a huge improvement over the tacos. Price is too high though, watched plenty of people walk out due to the cost. Essentially it's a premium priced food option (really, it's sit down restaraunt cost like Tony Roma's or Famous Daves) with the ambience of sitting on park benches. I think maybe they might want to look at Sea World San Diego and how they created a fun eating environment to enjoy the overpriced food.

Did a bit of Christmas shopping as well. Let's just say the merch mix left a lot to be desired.

While lying on my back in X2's former unloading area, noticed the "roof" is essentially tarps. Imo, that would be a good element for either Batman to go "enclosed" for a "Dark Knight", for Scream's interlocking corkscrew section, or Goliath's helix.

^ I was there yesterday as I mentioned earlier. And I rode Colossus, so it wasn't closed the entire day. However, on my way in, I noticed some guys giving the red train a push so it would go around the last turnaround. Must have valleyed or gotten stuck on the block brake.

Eric

I only rode Terminator once yesterday, but I noticed that they made us watch all three pre-shows from start to finish. When I got up to the station, only about half of the 11 rows had anyone in them. The end of the line was right at the break between the first and second covered queue areas, so there were enough people to keep the pre-shows and station full.

It appears that there is still some tweaking that needs to be done with the pre-show timing to assure a full station and full trains.

Eric

If it were up to me, I would have painted Scream! this year instead of Goliath. Sure it had started to fade, but it didnt look nearly as bad as Scream!. Then again when they get around to painting that one, they are also gonna need to do some work on all the signage and queue walls. Perhaps it was the quality of paint used? Bright colors and direct sun exposure/intense heat do not a good mix make...take Manhattan Express for example. It was repainted a few years ago and its fading AGAIN.

^ The new blend of paint that SFMM is extremely expensive, but it's supposed to be much more resistant to fading. I think Scream! was the last coaster to get "regular" paint, though I'm not sure if Tatsu got the "good" stuff. X2 is the first coaster where they actually came out and said that the paint formula is different.

Eric

^^^That happened to us a few days ago. The timing was off. Granted, it was a slow day, but we would wait for a few minutes after the video would end, and when we were released to the station, the train would be sitting there empty. The previous riders were nowhere in sight (so they had been gone for a while). But if they get the timing right, it could work out very well. It seems like such a waste to theme it, and have a pre-show, just to have you walk by it all.

^ The new blend of paint that SFMM is extremely expensive, but it's supposed to be much more resistant to fading. I think Scream! was the last coaster to get "regular" paint, though I'm not sure if Tatsu got the "good" stuff. X2 is the first coaster where they actually came out and said that the paint formula is different.

Eric

Tatsu is really faded on some parts so I have a feeling that it was the same type of paint that was used on Scream.

I'm quite honestly amazed at how good Riddler's Revenge still looks. It's never gotten repainted as far as I know and it still looks great. I hope that whatever type of paint they used on it is the same that they're now using on all of the rides.

^ Right now Riddler has black supports with green track. Maybe a reversal of that scheme would put a new spin on it.

Yesterday when I rode Gold Rusher I laughed when I looked at the track in its station---almost 40 years later, the original red paint is still there.

Eric

According to their Twitter, Goldrusher is closed. Maybe for painting? And who is to say that Scream! won't get painted? If you didn't know, 2010 is the year the park is trying to get all the parks looking like new for 2011. Al the parks are going all out and painting everything.

Gold Rusher's entire layout was red in its first season (1971). When the park reopened for the 1972 season after an extensive six-month improvement, the track was painted a bright yellow color, and has been various shades of yellow ever since. The supports were dark green for awhile, too.

Eric

They have way too many rides closed right now for winter break, I was really hoping Goldrusher would be open so that I could get another night ride on it tomorrow, but damn, this should be interesting.

Hopefully I'll still have a decent day tomorrow, even though a lot of what I wanted to ride will be closed...I'll still have X2, Termy, Ninja, and Viper though