TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Why would our batman get better? It makes no sense, its not like we have the original batman or somethng like that. It would be awesome for Riddler's to be rethemed so the station just feels more "evil." Also, some fire for Riddler would kick ass. However, if any ride is getting a re theme/upgrade it will be Sream. Shapiro knows about the parking lot jokes and everything for scream. Also, SFGAD's Medusa was recently turned into Bizarro, so the enhancement would be easy as there is alredy known places for fire effects and what not. in fact, most everything else at Six Flags is nice enough. Colosus never bothered me, its not themed, but it does all it needs to to look nice. Goliath's jungle que is quite nice for a Six Flags park. Viper and Tatsu could be better themed, but I have no proble with the over all look of either station. Revolution looks good with the hills around it. I mean, goldrusher could be a little more mine themed, but its been there since the 70s and ninja looks ok. It's really just scream that screams it needs theming.(Im clever)

Thinking about it, you could'nt quite copy and paste Bizarro's effects onto Scream due to queue placement. Keep in mind that the entrance to Bizarro is under the cobra roll, and the entrance to scream is between the loop and the dive loop. If you were to put the flames in the same spot, you'd burn trees and probably people too, so they'd need to switch it up and maybe put the flames after the cobra roll as a means of keeping it safe.

It doesn't even have to be the Bizarro-like treatment with theming to make the ride better. If they just tore up the parking lot under the ride, planted grass, and added some simple landscaping, it would be a nice improvement. Scream could be one of the most beautiful coasters out there with its layout and structure but because of its setting, it's one of the ugliest, IMO.

Considering how much SFMM has improved, I would hope that they would consider such a move, since the ride is sort of like the crown image of the old Six Flags, in the days when they were so focused on plopping down coasters everywhere and ignoring things like park atmosphere.

Yeah, if any coaster at the park needs an upgrade, it's Scream!. Especially a new paint job, but keep the colors. As for a theme, on-board audio we be a great addition to the ride especially with the current name of the ride. I'm kind of tired of fire effects for rides, it just doesn't cut it for me. Oh, and tear up the parking lot under the ride and plant some grass!

I really like the fire on X2 and Terminator, but if SFMM just threw fire onto another ride to "improve" it...I'd laugh.

About Batman, at WCB, management had mentioned Batman getting its mist back sometime...sounds like this could be that time!

As for Scream! being rethemed, sure, it's on an ugly parking lot and the only queue theme it has is real spider-webs, but really, what can you theme it to? Batman actually could be themed a lot better and could really change the ride experience. Its compact layout is also perfect for some mist and near-misses throughout the layout.

Some of the other Batman rides in the Six Flags chain have been given new paint jobs. SFMM's Batman is the only one with the all-gray track/spine, and I honestly like the way it looks with the black supports. Somehow any other colors would kill the theme. Just my opinion, though. But getting the original effects back in place would be nice.

Scream!'s theme? Leave it alone. I can't speak for anyone else, but whenever I'm in a parking lot---especially this time of year---I find myself "Scream!" ing at the antics of so many other drivers. The ride's tri-color scheme looks good, but can use a freshening. It's almost seven years old.

There is definitely enough fire on the rides at SFMM. One more ride with it would be overkill.

Eric

I think that Batman getting it's original effects back is awesome. Plus if they synced Batman's lights in the station when a train leaves and Riddler getting it's station fixed with the lights and everything would make a good ride a better experience. As for Scream! onboard audio would go awesome on it but audio like X2 where it's actual music not random quotes. One thing while I'm on the subject does anyone know if Goliath will get the fog back in the tunnel that it had when it opened?

Andrew "Also Batman's queue right before the station needs A/C!" Iorio

Too much money is spent on theming. Just make a high-quality ride and it will scarcely even need it. Theming is just a crutch for an average quality ride (in most cases).

SF spent what, $10 million each? on refurbishing the Bizarros. El Toro was built for just over $10 million. Get the point? If you're willing to spend all that money to repaint a ride, put crap in the way, and put REALLY loud speakers that pipe sound that you can't even hear because of the ride, why not build a whole new ride all together? Or better yet, if you don't want to build a new ride with that money, make capital improvements?

They spent $10 million on the X2 refurb, Bizarro was a lot less(maybe a million)

Also dissagree on the theming part, if you just plop down rides, you might aswell visit a county fair. Part of going to an amusement/themepark is to be put into another World. Nobody will be able to touch Disney, but if Six Flags continues what they started with Terminator, I certainly would encourage them to keep going that route.

It makes the visit special, word of mouth will ensure that it is not a "run down park", more people will come and most importantly, have a great experience while there for each and everyone, including us "locals" who go there a lot

EDIT:

One Thousand Page, cue music, I want to thank my mom who put me on this earth, my dad who hates coasters and that I wanted to do the exact opposite of him that introduced me to Magic Mountain (cue, cry) Del Holland for being retired and TPR for keeping me up to date on everything that is happening at one of the most underrated parks in this World

^Nobody considers Cedar Point to be a run down park, and it's almost devoid of any theming. Would Millennium Force be a better ride with a 6-minute preshow and some crazy person on a video screen screaming at you about how "the future is riding on it"? No. A great ride speaks for itself.

You don't need cartoony people, an insane amount of way too loud midway music, and a dancing bald man to make your park more exciting. I'd rather feel the atmosphere of being at a park where you can hear the rides and take in the experience without a million attention-whoring gimmicks screaming at me.

And sure, nobody can touch Disney's theming, but I frackin' HATE going to those parks. Disney wears thin after about the age of 11.

^Different strokes for different folks, MF bores me to tears and if it got a "bizzaro" I might actually be entertained on the ride so to answer your question, YES! Millennium Force would be vastly improved with theming in my eyes. And The nearly 1 million annual Passholders at Disneyland are more then just parents going for their kids (just go look at how many Disney forums are out there and the people who post on them compared to roller coaster/ theme park forums) it may not be for you, but the theming is great for a lot of people.

Point though is on how much money you spent at the park to go just for rides vs the families that actually cares for the theming...

EDIT

(Man, you guys are fast) Cedar Point was a huge dissapointment in my book aswell. It was great to get on some rather mediocre rides, but because this park has no(and I mean NO) soul or identity so to speak, I have no desire to get back there anytime soon.

You dont have to take down coasters(well 3 or 4 at CP are way past there lifeline), but to answer your question, YES, if they would add a theme, nice areas to relax, have good meals and all around being actually able to enjoy your stay there besides just coasters, there would be more people inside the park and actually even stay at there hotels(for a longer period of time)

If you look at attendance levels for CP, they dont get more visitors when they open a 20 million record breaking ride, the level is the same. The years they dont open something "shiny" new, attendance drops. Should tell you that there strategy is not working, at least in the long run..

^^There's a very big reason Magic Kingdom gets 17 million people a year (14 million for Disneyland) and it doesn't all have to be only for families, if Cedar Point was more full of Maverick type attractions I think CP would get a LOT more repeat visitors (and more importantly families) and that's where Six Flags seems to be heading. Even Cedar Point seems to be getting that a bit with Maverick and now Shoot the Rapids, it's not Disney quality, but it's more then Millennium Force got.

You can have your cake and eat it too lol.