TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

This was quite an interesting post on SFMM's Twitter. Granted, its Twitter, and of course nothing official has been announced, but I'd thought I'd post it anyway:

"Critter Canyon's Animals are now at Acton Santuary, Animal Acres! Critter Canyon's last day was Sunday making room for a future attraction!"

And I say it might be interesting because if its true, might this be a possible site for Wiggles World? Or a new coaster if the site next to Deja Vu turns out to be for something else?

^ Thanks for that!

]Park employees also took some of the animals home after the Valencia theme park's Animal Farm attraction closed Sunday to make room for an expansion project, Magic Mountain officials said

All Animal Farm attractions are equal, but unfortunately this one found out that some Animal Farm attractions are more equal than others.

Glad to see the animals were moved to a sanctuary. Good move. I just couldn't imagine the animals actually enjoyed their small plot of land and the noise coming from the park. The land there would be a good fit for the small coaster if the spot by DV is marked for something else at this point.

I also see this a chance to expand Thomas Town. If the right attraction is installed and marketed, it would be a "re-launch" of the land into the minds of the kidde/family socal market. On a side note, when I saw the "Barnyard" attraction from Zamperla, I immediately thought of the barn area at SFMM.

http://www.zamperla.com/en/product/131/barnyard.html?category_id=2

In order to be come more family friendly, Magic Mountain removes the petting zoo. Huh? Well, with the smaller area since the development of Thomas Town, I am not surprised. But it is disappointing to see the petting zoo disappear. As a kid, I enjoyed it. As I did with the one at Knott's (also removed).

You know, it actually does make more sense to add more to Thomas Town than to put it a Wiggles World. Since our Thomas Town has, what, two rides, whereas SFA's Thomas Town will have ten, I think with more attractions in Thomas Town the busier that area of the park will be.

I agree. I would much rather have SFMM add more to the nothingness that is Thomas Town than add another pointless kiddie area with a couple rides.

At this point I'm torn on the whole 'adding Kids Stuff' to SFMM. Obviously as a park enthusiast with a child who lives 5 minutes from the park it would be great to have them get more kids stuff. BUT...from what I've seen and heard I just don't think it makes sense. No one in Santa Clarita wants to bring their children to the park, they didn't do anything with Thomas Town (really could have marketed that one a lot better!), and a lot of the kids area is just dirty.

I do believe if they were going to do ANYTHING to try and get more kids to come to the park they need to expand the Thomas Area and not add another half ass small kids area. Just look at the Thomas Areas at other Six Flags Parks and even Drayton Manor and Fuji Q internationally. Those areas are reasons to bring your kids to a park. Thomas 'Cul de Sac' Town at SFMM is just not enough.

Thomas 'Cul de Sac' Town at SFMM is just not enough.

But cul-de-sacs are always family friendly!

^It really depends on what they replace it with. Hard to judge the decision at this point.

Well, true. They could add another family attraction in its place. But to me, it's not the same. I mean, what other family attraction in the park can eat your clothing?

^I'll chime in on the people in Santa Clarity not wanting to bring their kids to the park. When I was growing up my entire family had season passes for several years. We'd occasionally do dinner out, and then head over to the park for a few hours prior to closing. They used to have a deal where if you got there in the final three hours of the day parking was free. I had numerous friends whose families also had passes. So, unless things have changed, I would assume that there are still a lot of families that enjoy going to the park together in the area.

However I do agree that in terms of small children (which is what I'm guessing Elissa was talking about) there really isn't much to do at the park. As a family we didn't really start going a lot until I was a bit older (10 or so). I also agree that the answer is not building a bunch of small, subpar kid areas, but rather cleaning up and really improving the ones they have.

^Exactly! I can tell you all the mom's at Gymboree and Preschool won't go to SFMM. And THIS is the prime age for Thomas the Tank Engine. I've tried to convert some of them, I mean, tons of them didn't even know that a Thomas Cul de Sac had opened. But the park has a bad reputation and these moms are used to taking their kids to Legoland and Disney which are cleaner and more small kid friendly.