TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Is it just me or does anyone else think that this coaster that they are going to announce at the end of the month will be more like a kiddie coaster then a family coaster?

I would be pretty disappointed. I think it will be something like along the lines of Sierra Sidewinder.

Is it just me or does anyone else think that this coaster that they are going to announce at the end of the month will be more like a kiddie coaster then a family coaster?

I doubt it. SFMM already has 2 tiny coasters, they really lack in the medium sized family coaster department, this'll fill a big spot needed at SFMM

I would be pretty disappointed. I think it will be something like along the lines of Sierra Sidewinder.

You SoCal people are really hard to please. You just got Terminator this year and now, when the park is building the follow up coaster in the next year instead of waiting a few, you're already going to be unsatisfied if it isn't something big? Man, I can't imagine how you would make it here in Colorado where no new coasters have been built since 2007 (and even that was a used Python Pit kiddie coaster).

Whatever this turns out to be, kiddie coaster or not, I'm sure it will be a good addition to the park. Especially if it means ripping out a closed dilapidated structure to replace it with a coaster that will improve the family atmosphere of the park, be a new credit for you guys, and bring SFMM back into a tie with CP for the coaster count. Can't complain about that last part, can you fanboys?

^ Same.

I kiddie or family coaster would be great back in that area. There isn't anything for kids ANYWHERE in that area.

It would be nice to have something where parents could switch off while riding Deja, Terminator, etc...

--Robb

and bring SFMM back into a tie with CP for the coaster count.

This comes up a lot, but the way I (and a lot of other enthusiasts) count credits, both parks are already tied.

Counting Colossus and Superman The Escape as two credits each, SFMM has 18 coasters. Counting Gemini as two credits, CP has 18 coasters.

So at the moment, they are tied, but with this coaster SFMM will be in lead.

I guess it depends on how you count credits though.

Am I the only one who really doesn't care whether SFMM has the record for number of coasters?

In a way, this reminds me of when Goliath opened. SFMM gave us a decent (in my opinion) ride, and five minutes after it opened, Internet forums all over were buzzing with "What's coming next year?"

For me, the every other or every third year addition of a coaster is plenty. There are too many other things that any park can do that will add to the overall experience for everyone.

Eric

I feel that sometimes that an addition is expected EVERY year by some Southern California people. Eric, I noticed the same thing when Terminator opened. Only a couple weeks after the ride opened, the question was already being thrown around, "What's next?". Terminator is an absolutely fantastic ride and is a perfect fit for SFMM. I agree with Robb, something medium thrill like Goldrusher would be a great fit in that area of the park. Heck, even a Sierra Sidewinder-esque ride would be amazing! A family coaster, with a shorter height restriction like 42 or 36 inches would be the perfect fit for SFMM, they need to balance out all of their intense coasters with medium sized coasters, something I feel like they are starting to focus on. Magic Mountain has done nothing but impress me these past couple years and I am sure that whatever they add next year will be fantastic!

---Brent

The key is a ride that everyone in the family can ride. Preferably with a 42" height limit, not 48".

According to Screamscape, the rumor is that the next ride is next year, and something unique to be built somewhere up on the mountain. If that is the case, I hope that after that the park takes a break and begins its infrastructure improvement (that is, the notorious restroom replacement plan).

Also, I can't remember right now, but I recall that either Jay or Neal told me that Metro's track is supposed to be removed within the next couple of years, since they're not replacing that. However, Tim said at one event that they're "playing around with some ideas to use it." And we have to remember that Six Flags is still trying to recover from its financial woes, so things will happen when they happen.

Eric

^ Their comments on Metro were very mixed. I don't think they really know what they are going to do with it. However I remember Tim saying that they took forever to take Flashback down because they had to write it off so maybe they are doing the same thing with Metro? Even though its older. But I would imagine that taking down metro will cost more since it covers a larger area.

^ Didn't SFMM specifically decline taking the Dark Knight coaster that was supposed to go up at SFNE? I mean, park management flat out said, "We don't want it" so Six Flags shipped it off to another park.

Regarding the restrooms, the McDonald's restaurants here in town have installed new "waterless" urinals. Not sure how that works, but I wonder if SFMM will use the latest, greatest, up-to-datest technology as the restrooms are renovated. In my limited travels, I've seen urinals and toilets, faucets, towel dispensers, soap dispensers, and hand dryers all operated with the infrared sensors. (Diana even told me that the restrooms at O'Hare Airport in Chicago have automatic seat cover dispensers on their toilets! )

The new hand dryers I've seen at Disneyland/DCA are pretty cool (where you put your hands in and slowly pull them out).

These enhancements to restrooms are all great things, but I've also seen all of the above (save for the seat cover dispensers) on the fritz---toilet didn't flush, water didn't turn on or shut off, etc. Those things may save water and/or help prevent the spread of disease, but they have to work reliably.

Should SFMM go that route, I hope they stay on top of it and keep those things running.

Of course, unfortunately, you'll always have a few people with the mentality of "Let's see how much TP we can cram in there..." Not much you can do about that.

Eric

^It's funny, those waterless urinals are really great at lowering the level of stink in a bathroom. They don't need urinal cakes (obviously, there's no water to activate them), yet they don't ever smell like urine. And they save a lot of unnecessary water-use. Things like that are a great way for a park to save on its utility bills.

^^^^There was lots of hype for CP this year but look how that turned out. But that's a discussion for another thread...

Yeah but the so-called "hype" was based purely on fanboys and girls' ridiculous expectations for what CP should be adding as new attractions every year. It wasn't based on any kind of logic.

That was still hype though. And yes we CP fanboys do have very high expectations. Maybe even higher than you SoCal people.

^^^^There was lots of hype for CP this year but look how that turned out. But that's a discussion for another thread...

Yeah but the so-called "hype" was based purely on fanboys and girls' ridiculous expectations for what CP should be adding as new attractions every year. It wasn't based on any kind of logic.

That was still hype though. And yes we CP fanboys do have very high expectations. Maybe even higher than you SoCal people.

You didn't look at my location, did you?

I worked at CP for two years.

You SoCal people are really hard to please. You just got Terminator this year and now, when the park is building the follow up coaster in the next year instead of waiting a few, you're already going to be unsatisfied if it isn't something big? Man, I can't imagine how you would make it here in Colorado where no new coasters have been built since 2007 (and even that was a used Python Pit kiddie coaster).

Whatever this turns out to be, kiddie coaster or not, I'm sure it will be a good addition to the park. Especially if it means ripping out a closed dilapidated structure to replace it with a coaster that will improve the family atmosphere of the park, be a new credit for you guys, and bring SFMM back into a tie with CP for the coaster count. Can't complain about that last part, can you fanboys?

Yeah, how about here in Arizona? The only thing close to a theme park we have here is Castles n Coasters! Lol I'm hoping for that Decades park...doubtful, but I'd love for it to happen. But anyway, I'm digressing...

I'll be satisfied with whatever ends up getting built there, no matter how "big" or "small" it is. I'm just looking for another credit!

Regarding gisco's much repeated comment, I also don't think that next year's coaster will be a kiddie coaster. It will appeal to all family members, I'm quite sure. Park management knows that they already have two kiddie coasters and are aiming for something that everyone can ride.

"Yeah, how about here in Arizona? The only thing close to a theme park we have here is Castles n Coasters!" (disney4me2001)

I'm surprised, too, that the greater Phoenix and/or Tucson areas don't have any major parks. Surely there's enough of a population to support one. Perhaps investors feel that the weather comes into play (scorching hot in the summer, cold in the the winter)? That's a good question.

Eric

^I was gonna make the point that people wouldn't like to travel to the face of the sun to go to an amusement park, hence why there isnt one in Arizona...but then I remembered SFMM is also on the face of the sun.

I also believe that this'll be a fun for the whole family kind of attraction, which is seriously what the park needs.