TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

According to Screamscape Goliath is going to be painted sky blue instead of teal... I actually preferred the teal look that our Goliath has compared to elsewhere.

I've been on Magnum XL-200, Phantom's Revenge, Maverick, Voyage, etc...but this air-time hill is by far my favorite. I love floating out of my seat for a few seconds. It definitely is "true air-time".

El Toro is like Goliath's x10 on every hill. Ride it.

As far as Goliath goes, I for one enjoy the ride a lot. I guess I'm just not a huge fan of the 'out and back' hypers. Oh and MF is just lame. But to me Goliath is something of a hybrid. It has it's airtime moment (only 1 really) and then has some intense and fun spirals the second half of the ride. I just wish the train wouldn't slow down so much at the MCBR...

I've been on Nitro (the only B&M hyper I've ridden) and I actually really liked it, but it was only a front seat ride, meaning that if you weren't in the front, the ride just wasn't as good. It was also different enough not to be labeled a 'true' out and back which I liked.

Ranking the two coasters I'd say I'd put Nitro slightly ahead of Goliath based on the fact that it was such a great front seat ride. However, Goliath is still up high on my list and I have ridden quite a few hypers.

One more thing to add, I don't think Goliath is really comparable to other 'hypers' that you all have talked about (other than Titian, obviously) because it's so different then a traditional hyper. I also agree with whoever said that it should be labeled as something a bit different, like a twister.

^^ My point was that the park won't be empty on Black Friday. A few weeks back I went to SFMM on a Sunday afternoon and waited about two trains for X2. But I may go anyway because I didn't make it out there on Veterans Day.

Eric

There's an old, unused building that will probably come down to make way for this ride. Once that building is gone, that will signal the start of construction. And I don't expect to see anything of a construction nature till possibly after the first of the year.

Eric

One more thing to add, I don't think Goliath is really comparable to other 'hypers' that you all have talked about (other than Titian, obviously) because it's so different then a traditional hyper. I also agree with whoever said that it should be labeled as something a bit different, like a twister.

You're joking right? You can't possibly be serious. Your statement makes no sense. How is Goliath that different any more or less of a "twister" than several other hyper coasters? And how is it "so different???" You have seen pictures of other hyper coasters, right? You do know that many of them aren't much diffrent, right?

Here, let me enlighten you...

How is Goliath any more or less "twisty" or different than let's say SROS/Bizzaro...

Or Expedition GeForce...

Or Raging Bull...

In fact, I'd even argue that this Goliath is MORE of a twister...

Let me make something very clear...

Goliath is a "Hyper Coaster" and that's what it's labeled as.

ONE HELIX DOES NOT MAKE A COASTER A "TWISTER!!!"

If you really need to pile another label onto it, then consider it to be a "Weak Hyper Coaster."

I just don't understand why people feel the need to pile multiple descriptors on to something that's already defined.

/end rant

--Robb

You're joking right? You can't possibly be serious. Your statement makes no sense. How is Goliath that different any more or less of a "twister" than several other hyper coasters? And how is it "so different???" You have seen pictures of other hyper coasters, right? You do know that many of them aren't much diffrent, right?

Here, let me enlighten you...

How is Goliath any more or less "twisty" or different than let's say SROS/Bizzaro...

Or Expedition GeForce...

Or Raging Bull...

In fact, I'd even argue that this Goliath is MORE of a twister...

Let me make something very clear...

Goliath is a "Hyper Coaster" and that's what it's labeled as.

ONE HELIX DOES NOT MAKE A COASTER A "TWISTER!!!"

If you really need to pile another label onto it, then consider it to be a "Weak Hyper Coaster."

I just don't understand why people feel the need to pile multiple descriptors on to something that's already defined.

/end rant

--Robb

I think he was simply referring to how compact Goliath's "twistyness" is, even though Raging Bull and Titan are just as compact, because almost all hypers cover more area than Goliath does.

That's just what I make of it anyway :/

I think he was simply referring to how compact Goliath's "twistyness" is, even though Raging Bull and Titan are just as compact, because almost all hypers cover more area than Goliath does.

That's just what I make of it anyway :/

Have you ever seen an overhead layout of Goliath? It covers a lot of area. In fact, length-wise, it probably covers more area from one end to the other than any other coaster in the park. I will say it once more time. GOLIATH IS NOT TWISTY!!!! It has ONE COMPACT HELIX. It is no more or less twisty than about half of the other hypers out there.

I don't understand the boner some people have for putting this ride and Titan in a "different category."

It's a "Hyper Coaster." Deal with it.

--Robb

I've always thought of Goliath as a Hyper Twister. The first half is out-and-back, and the second half is twisted. Is it this new brand of hyper? No. Is it a standard out-and-back? No. Is it a Hyper Twister like, say, Raging Bull. I'd say yes.

I look at an image like that and say the ride is pretty twisted.

^ Well, we could restart the debate about those coin operated lock boxes, but we'll spare you that, too.

I've not ridden either, but is (Mr. Six's) Pandemonium at SFNE the same ride as THBS or at least a near clone? From pictures they look similar to each other. I bring this up because I believe that this type of coaster is a good candidate for next year's ride.

Eric

I've always thought of Goliath as a Hyper Twister. The first half is out-and-back, and the second half is twisted. Is it this new brand of hyper? No. Is it a standard out-and-back? No. Is it a Hyper Twister like, say, Raging Bull. I'd say yes.

I look at an image like that and say the ride is pretty twisted.

Isn't a hyper coaster one that has a drop of over 200ft, has no inversions, and has a chain lift? Goliath meets all of those requirements so its a Hyper then, right?

"...the day after thanksgiving! Hopefully no one will go..." (Troy98)

I went last year on that day, and the park wasn't as uncrowded as you might think. The line for X2 was about 45 minutes, if that's any indication.

Eric

I will be THRILLED if the line is only 45 minutes for X2. Both times I have went on X2 the line has been 100min (1hr 40min).

^ Well, we could restart the debate about those coin operated lock boxes, but we'll spare you that, too.

I've not ridden either, but is (Mr. Six's) Pandemonium at SFNE the same ride as THBS or at least a near clone? From pictures they look similar to each other. I bring this up because I believe that this type of coaster is a good candidate for next year's ride.

Eric

Well there are different versions of the THBS, like the one at SFFT, SFOT, and SFStL are all the same. The one in SFDK has its own layout and same with Pandemonium.

Eric

Well there are different versions of the THBS, like the one at SFFT, SFOT, and SFStL are all the same. The one in SFDK has its own layout and same with Pandemonium.

The Spinning Dragons at WoF also has the same layout as the Tony Hawks from SFFT, SFoT, and SFStL.