TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

It's nice to hear that Goliath is getting some new paint. Of all the coasters in the park, it was definitely the one needing paint the most. What's crazy is how bad it looked compared to Riddler, an older coaster. Unless I'm wrong, Riddler hasn't seen new paint since it opened.

^ For whatever reason, I seem to recall that Riddler was painted with a long lasting paint, not unlike what was used on X2. Its paint job has held up rather well for a nearly 12-year-old ride.

Goliath will be 10 years old in February, believe it or not. It is nice to see it getting a fresh coat of paint, and hopefully it's of the long lasting variety, too.

It doesn't look like I'll be getting out to SFMM today. I'm just not feeling up to it.

Eric

If you look at SFMM's official twitter, they mention details about the ride closures...Scream! is scheduled to reopen this weekend.

Goliath is scheduled to reopen on the 25th...they say it'll be orange and sky blue...

Now I know the track's orange, but I always thought the supports were more of a teal, not sky blue. Maybe it'll look slightly different? Guess we'll have to wait and see...

Their twitter also says that Riddler is closed Dec. 5, 6, 12, and 13; Deja Vu is closed Dec. 19-27, both for refurbishment.

If you want to see for yourselves, here's the link to their twitter page:

Six Flags Magic Mountain's Official Twitter Page

Btw I'm going on Nov. 21st with a few friends! Can't wait! It'll be my first trip to the Mountain in 4 years! There's a choir competition going on that day...how do you think that'll affect the lines? It's on a Saturday.

^ Thank you for that info. For some reason, I wasn't following the park. I am now.

As as far as the colors for Goliath - I'm sure they will be the same. But if not, it'll still look a lot better than the faded mess it has been for the past four or five years.

Now, if they would only do something with Colossus ...

"Now, if they would only do something with Colossus" (metrock)

SFMM has done a lot of retracking and I-beaming work on it, but what's needed now are new trains. Jay, Neal, and Tim already know that, but it isn't a high priority because the trains they use now still work. The thing is, if they got Millennium Flyers, GCII would have to come out and retrack the ride to fit the trains (they don't fit trains to existing track).

However, single-bench trains wouldn't do much for Colossus in my opinion, just because it's mostly straight track. I always liked the old three-bench PTCs that were on it before the Morgans, but I heard someplace that maintenance isn't fond of PTC trains for some reason.

Maybe the reason that Goliath's color was listed as "sky blue" is because the teal color has faded to that shade. But if it is a new color scheme, that's OK, too. As long as it continues to be smooth and fast, I'll take it.

Eric

All we know is that the new coaster will be located next to Deja Vu, with at least some of the layout below Ninja's first swooping curve. There's an unused building there now (next to the newest Johnny Rocket's Shakes and Fries outlet is) that is going to come down to make way for the ride.

As to exactly what kind of ride it is, I don't know of any details. But I wouldn't expect anything really big.

Eric

A ton of us have been on both. I personally find them both totally overrated and dull. If I had to choose one over the other I would pick Goliath because the midcourse doesn't totally stop you...twice...like Titan's did!

The extra helix does nothing but make the mediocre ride last longer.

Goliath (am magic mountain) isn't very good at all in my opinion. Hyper coasters should be like Behemoth, Diamondback, or Nitro with loads of airtime. All Goliath gives me is one good hill after the second drop. Then It gets all weird with the twisty stuff and the blackout helix =\

While I do enjoy Goliath for its speed and smoothness, I will agree that there should have been more to it, preferably in the airtime department. The ride only has the one airtime hill---which to me is great floater air---but it would have been nice to have had the track double back for another one. For a ride with such a tall drop that produces the speed, a lot of energy is wasted.

We can only hope that perhaps a better hypercoaster is in the plans for the future. A nice, long out-and-back could fit with some creative thinking.

Eric

While I do enjoy Goliath for its speed and smoothness, I will agree that there should have been more to it, preferably in the airtime department. The ride only has the one airtime hill---which to me is great floater air---but it would have been nice to have had the track double back for another one. For a ride with such a tall drop that produces the speed, a lot of energy is wasted.

We can only hope that perhaps a better hypercoaster is in the plans for the future. A nice, long out-and-back could fit with some creative thinking.

Eric

Exactly, I find myself riding that ride for that one airtime hill which is pathetic since he should have like 10 of those ;D