TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Sorry guys, I should have been more specific. I was listening to in the loop two weeks ago, and they mentioned 2011 getting a new unique non family coaster to use the terrain. The rumor is on screamscape(not 100% reliable) so I am thinking something like a eurofighter. They are cheap and unique considering there are few in the US, and seem to have good reliability and seem generally well liked. I know it is way too early to talk about this now, especially as it is nowhere near confirmed. I think the new coaster will be a custom(or at least not tony hawk) spinner.

Funny how in Japan, apparently infants can ride certain coasters, as we've seen here. Yet I've heard that if you're over 60, getting on certain ones is iffy because they're worried about the health hazards of "old people."

I have a feeling that SFMM will reach 20 operating coasters at some point. They'll just be crammed in wherever they can fit.

Eric

I have a feeling that SFMM will reach 20 operating coasters at some point. They'll just be crammed in wherever they can fit.

Eric

I fully agree with you there, I think the park is going to hit 20 operating coasters sometime likely within the next 10 years or so. I think eventually we'll see significant growth of the park out into the parking lot near where Scream! is located.

I will mention this as I remember it being brought up when Terminator was announced. I distinctly remember hearing something along the lines of the Mummy being intact for the 2010 coaster. Not sure if this rings any bells, but just thought I would point that out.

So if it is a THBS, which I hope it is NOT, we might have cheap cardboard cut outs of Brendon Fraiser instead of Tony Hawk. Oh joy.

^^ I don't think SFMM will take much more of the parking lot. They need it for their more crowded days. There are some nooks and crannies that they can fill. I'll bet the placement of some future attractions will surprise us.

Eric

Personally I think they should USE THE MOUNTAIN!! They have it and they could make any ride so much better if they used it. They could add fog and light filled tunnels or valleys in the mountain that would add to the ride's experience. Anyway I know I'm just pointing out the obvious.

Andrew "I'm for whatever helps the park" Iorio

I didn't even know until recently SFNO had another coaster, a family Vekoma one. I read on Wikipedia about the Roadrunner Express.

"The Road Runner Express (Vekoma Junior Coaster 207M) (Since removed by Six Flags to be placed in another park)"

Depending one your trust of the Wiki is this a possible install for SFMM?

^IDK...I doubt it

Has anyone noticed that Tatsu makes a new, drilling sound after its seats get folded back before the cycle and before it drops to sitting position after the cycle? It's a new sound as I hadnt heard it before my last visit on Sunday, what causes it?

I really wish Six Flags would purchase a custom Maurer Söhne spinning coaster. They are so much better.

Of the two I've been on (Winjas and Tarantula) they were both way better then the Tony Hawk they have at SFDK. I would LOVE if SFMM got a custom Maurer Söhne.

^IDK...I doubt it

Has anyone noticed that Tatsu makes a new, drilling sound after its seats get folded back before the cycle and before it drops to sitting position after the cycle? It's a new sound as I hadnt heard it before my last visit on Sunday, what causes it?

Its not new...its the sound of the chassis pins unlocking/unscrewing. It makes that noise after the seats raise (before leaving) and before the seats lower. In fact, all the B&M flyers make this same noise. Whether or not you hear it depends on the ambient noise in the station.

^IDK...I doubt it

Its not new...its the sound of the chassis pins unlocking/unscrewing. It makes that noise after the seats raise (before leaving) and before the seats lower. In fact, all the B&M flyers make this same noise. Whether or not you hear it depends on the ambient noise in the station.

Oh okay, I guess the station was literally empty the last time I rode it, that's probably why I could hear it for the first time. Thanks for answering

Just a quick side note about the SFMM season pass... I received the email about renewing my season for next year and on the item list (#8) kinda confirms that there will be another "Private Passholder Night" next year for season pass holders. I did go to this year's event and without a doubt it was the best day I had at the Mountain since I can remember. So everyone who couldn't go this year this is your chance to get into the mix.

*The following was not a "paid for" commercial advertising SFMM season pass... But I really wish it were!"

Here's the link... And trust me I did not get paid for this!

Here's another Screamscape post regarding the Wiggles World addition to SFMM. At least this one is semi-believable...

(11/6/09) A Screamscape source tells us that the once planned Wiggles World addition to the park may have been canned due to the fact Thomas Town’s failed to get a rise in attendance figures.

Here's another Screamscape post regarding the Wiggles World addition to SFMM. At least this one is semi-believable...

(11/6/09) A Screamscape source tells us that the once planned Wiggles World addition to the park may have been canned due to the fact Thomas Town’s failed to get a rise in attendance figures.

I'm rather sad at that. Not that I like Wiggles World at all, but it'd bring in the more family-friendly atmosphere Six Flags is striving for in all of its parks. Thomas Town's failure I believe was just the fact that it was poorly placed, since we all know the right side of the park is the less popular area. Wiggles World would be more successful since it would have most likely ended up in the area between Freefall and Tidal Wave.

In regards to Terminator's theming, I really think SFMM's efforts are underappreciated. It may not be Universal or Disney, but its still pretty good theming.

Yeah, having one nice tiny area doesn't make up for the rest of the parks hatred of small children or the parks reputation. I've got plenty of 'mom' friends here in Santa Clarita and most of them shudder at the notion that I bring KT to SFMM. They all have Disney and Legoland passes instead.

Can't say I blame them too much.

They need to can the whole family thing...THEY CANNOT COMPETE WITH DISNEYLAND AND THEY SHOULD NOT EVEN TRY!!!! They need to keep giving the park small facelifts and improove their website/advertising. THey can bring in more revenue if they make stuff like...idk...ride challenges. Something like, ride on every coaster and recieve a special pass 2 eide X2 an hour after hours or something. Little things like that would be huge for revenue

Just a quick side note about the SFMM season pass... I received the email about renewing my season for next year and on the item list (#8) kinda confirms that there will be another "Private Passholder Night" next year for season pass holders. I did go to this year's event and without a doubt it was the best day I had at the Mountain since I can remember. So everyone who couldn't go this year this is your chance to get into the mix.

*The following was not a "paid for" commercial advertising SFMM season pass... But I really wish it were!"

Here's the link... And trust me I did not get paid for this!

Did you not do the WCB? The wife and I rode almost every ride twice, and 80% of the time there was only two other people or less. Glad you had fun though! I wouldn't be surprised if SFMM asked Robb and Elissa to plan it:)

^^^thomas town is pretty small. I remember walking through during WCB 2 years ago thinking it would be a pretty decent area. Then when I saw it this year I though, that's it? They definitely need more. I think the wiggle world at SFNE is a good attempt though. But at SFMM they would have to spend a massive amount of money and space to be even considered by parents.

^^ I actually did! I did not include WCB in the same line of thought because it was a TPR event which of course kicked major booty!!! So to be fair I just wanted to praise SFMM for an event they were soley reponsible for and boy did they DELIVER!!!

Sorry didn't mean to be too vague...

They need to can the whole family thing...THEY CANNOT COMPETE WITH DISNEYLAND AND THEY SHOULD NOT EVEN TRY!!!!

A good family ride is one that kids and adults both want to ride, not just one that they both can ride.

Magic Mountain used to have rides like that, but they took them all out and replaced them with coasters. And coaster after coaster is a cycle of diminishing returns.

But you're right, they shouldn't try to compete with Disneyland. They should try to emulate them in some ways, though.

How about a shooting dark ride? Their clientele should enjoy that.