TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Sierra Sidewinder at Knott's (the only one I like so far) is a Mack. I did ride something called Pole Position at the Ventura County Fair a few years back, and I found out that was a Fabbri. Then good ol' Primeval Whirl at Animal Kingdom, which is a Reverchon.

What I didn't like about the Fabbri and Reverchon version was the four-across seating. For whatever reason, I spent the entire ride bumping into the other riders. On the Mack version, however, with only two-across seating, back-to-back in each car, made the ride a lot easier. I do know that the THBS rides have two-across seating as well, only the four riders in each car face each other, so my guess is that the spinning experience on that ride is similar to the Mack version.

Whatever...we'll find out more in the next few months.

Eric

^My home park is SFNE and we have Pandemonium, a THBS clone, and it's really fun. You spin like crazy. The only bad thing is the capacity. It is really low. There is always always an hour and a half plus wait.

Plus I don't think it will be called THBS I think yours will be named something different. Plus you already have the red and black color scheme.

^ Honestly, I think you're right. We may get the off-the-shelf THBS coaster, but I think it'll be themed to something else and have a different color scheme. That area really has no theme to speak of, so it could be anything.

Eric

I really do hope that if it is a spinning coaster, it's NOT themed to Tony Hawk. Even with the other clones, I've never liked the idea of a skateboard themed coaster. But if it brings the families in...

And I also think they should be focusing on flats. Primarily a drop tower. Then, one coaster that I think SFMM desperately needs is a Maverick-style terrain coaster, that would wind through the hillside of the park and have lots of air time. Those small terrain coasters are more exciting to me than the big giant hyper or strata coasters. They're also not as intimidating to kids and families.

I actually think they should avoid flats for the time being. Part of the SF image problem is that it is viewed as an overgrown carnival and not actually considered a theme park. And that leads to the lower guest spending, because it is not valued at the same level as say Disney, Seaworld or Universal.

So for SF to break that image problem, instead of replicating a carnival, they have to go in a direction that makes them stand out. As much as I would love to see the kind of flats from the European fun faires take over the Collosuss County Fair area, not sure if that is a marketable concept like a new coaster can be.

If things go well, it's conceivable that SFMM could have 20 coasters within the next few years. That's a great way to sell SFMM to the masses.

Well also keep in mind if SFMM gets the most coasters record back they can market Magic Mountain as "The park with the most variety and coasters in the world." I wouldn't be suprised if they did that to bring in more guests.

Andrew "I can't wait for the new coaster" Iorio

"...it wouldn't shock me to see this as a Mr. Six Pandemonium." (Guy)

Even just calling it "Pandemonium" would work.

Just a few comments on theming... I really appreciate what SFMM did with Terminator, but as time goes on, I'm noticing that people don't even bother to watch the pre-shows, the onboard soundtrack is barely audible during the ride, and I wonder if the whole Terminator theme will even mean anything a few years down the road when the movie is a memory.

I think Six Flags should stick to what it knows best---straightforward family fun and thrills.

Eric

They reeeaaaallly need to fix Termy's audio system though, at the moment it's a complete disgrace. On Sunday, one of my rides had really crackly/annoying audio, and another had a wire sticking out of the speaker box. On top of that, the audio is barely audible in the freaking pre lift section! After that you can really forget about hearing it.

I really do hope that if it is a spinning coaster, it's NOT themed to Tony Hawk. Even with the other clones, I've never liked the idea of a skateboard themed coaster. But if it brings the families in...

And I also think they should be focusing on flats. Primarily a drop tower. Then, one coaster that I think SFMM desperately needs is a Maverick-style terrain coaster, that would wind through the hillside of the park and have lots of air time. Those small terrain coasters are more exciting to me than the big giant hyper or strata coasters. They're also not as intimidating to kids and families.

That might not be a good idea right now. Intamin is pretty expensive and although it would be cool I dont see it happening. If the new unique coaster(mentioned on screamscape, not always reliable) does happen am I the only one who sees a Eurofighter. It would be cool for that to be terrain based, it is unique(no beyond vertical drops in California) and would run Six Flags cheap. Especially considering they will have a gerstlauer(most likely) spinner soon, giving them a pretty good relationship. Just my prediction, but this seems like it would be a good move to me.

^Haha i highly doubt it'd be considered a family coaster, although an Intamin Mega-Lite would be an awesome addition though!

I too like the idea of a Eurofighter coming to SFMM, that'd be really cool and definitely unique for the area. Either that or the S&S El Loco. Which of the two would be a better choice?

Well, Mark considers many thing family. Evel Kneivel, Dark Knight, Tony Hawk, and don't forget all of them Vekoma roller skaters! There is a whole book of options. I am not sure if Wacky Worms are still being made? Those are pretty out-dated, but anything can happen I guess.

I would also think a Mega Lite as a family ride

Actually, even Terminator is family friendly. While it is pretty wild, it's not so TERRIFYING wild. I've seen some very young kids get off that ride grinning from ear to ear---and I'm talking about five- and six-year-olds.

That would count as a "family" ride, wouldn't it?

Eric

Both my kids love Kentucky Rumbler & Thunderhead. They are 7 & 9. All I know is that before they were both 48" they used to get pissed when they wern't tall enough to ride a coaster they wanted to go on.

What is the exact definition of a family coaster. Cause, honestly, the second Jarett was born we became a family. Seriously, I don't know any coasters that allow infants.

Now, I know that that is an extreme example, but honestly, what is the definition of a "family coaster?" Is it 36", 42", 48", or is it something inbetween? I would love to hear from Jay or Neil what 6Flags definition of a "family" coaster is. Not that I'm calling them out or anything.

Guy "Did I just call Jay and Neil out? I didn't mean to. I'm just curious." Koepp

If Magic Mountain does indeed get a wild mouse, bravo. Thinking back to some of my favorite parks around the nation, almost all of them have some style of wild mouse. It's one of those rides that, in my opinion, round off any coaster collection. The placement does seem a bit crammed, but at the same time, I can't complain with another coaster in that area of the park. I can't tall you how annoying it was to head back there to ride Deja only to find out that it was closed. My second option, of course, being Psyclone. Fast forward to '10, I'll have two options (Terminator and this new addition) to choose from. Both clearly being better alternatives than what I had before. And when everything is up and running, I'll be able to hit 3 coasters without doing much walking.