TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

That hill's kinda iffy...I alot of people forget the proximity of Golden Bear Theater to Sammuri Summit, which is basically what occupies half of south side of the hill (at least the seating does) so noise my be an issue if they want to continue using the venue. Now there are a few spots WITHIN the park that could still be used for numerous things. As I've previously mentioned, Going up the lift on X, you'll notice that out of 16 coasters, 9 of them sit on the edge of the park. There's still plenty of room over between X an Viper, Between Viper and Deja Vu, Removing Freefall opened up some space...and of course there's always cutting more into the asphalt...

The park hosts a lot events at Golden Bear (not sure you were saying that) but I just don't see it being taken out anytime soon. I except that at some pint the park would spill out into the parking lot if they really needed more room. Not saying we're there yet, but at some point in the future I could see that being a logical place to expand the park outward.

I could even see them building an Intamin launched coaster on Superman's structure. It could shoot up the right hand side and come down on the left and they could have loading and unloading stations and make a turnaround through the existing emergency magnetic brakes.

I've heard this for the past several years and I've always doubted that this would ever happen. Granted I'm not an engineer, but I would think that the cost to completely retrofitting the existing Superman would be more costly then just rebuilding. Not that I think S:TE is going anywhere in the near future.

The "base" of Goldrusher rumor certainly does seem to imply the former Freefall area. That does sound like a Tony Hawk clone, will be interesting to see it squeeze in and around Riddler & Tidal Wave (hope they don't remove it), especially where the line will go. If it is a Tony Hawk clone, they should save themselves a couple bucks and not use Tony's name & likeness, but Mr. Six.

Who knows it also could be a Disko coaster. In general, I don't think children's rides are good for a park like SFMM, where they could use all ages style attractions instead - like any number of Sally dark rides.

As far as the record breaker thing goes, I'm not real sure which record they would challenge without making the current operating coasters redudant. Height, speed, and inversions ? Kind of pointless to do that in a park like SFMM. Imo, if it's a record breaker of any kind, it will be a very, very specific record like angle of descent or something.

A Superman retrofit (hello Bizarro) would be interesting conceptually. I imagine that would take quite a bit of analysis to justify the cost versus expected return. A Superman money pit is something they wouldn't want to do again.

The only good usage I've ever seen of the Golden Bear Theatre was when I went and saw The Aquabats there this summer. Which pretty much means it should not go anywhere ever . Magic Mountain does not need a record breaker, they need more solid coasters like Terminator. Something that is very, very fun to ride but is not too intimidating that the whole family can try and ride it.

---Brent

As for SFMM not having the room, don't second guess what they can do. Who'd have thought that Tatsu would have been built where it is? Certainly not me, and I've been going to the park since opening year.

This park has more room than you think, and they're not afraid of winding a new ride into, over, and under an existing one. Even if Superman--The Escape stays in place, there's some real estate on the hillsides where something could go and not even interfere with it.

Eric

The park does have a lot of space, and there are a lot of rides that can be squeezed in certain places, but I just can't see another ride on the mountain...

Possibly on the other side of Superman (back side, closest to Jonny Rockets and Gold Rusher), and have the entrance be somewhere where the metro station is, but I can't see a record breaker in that spot and there's no way they could make the entrance for a coaster over there in Samurai Summit.

^I've had that exact thought before. There is actually a lot of room up on Samurai Summit. Actually I've always thought that if the park were to remove Jet Streamer (not something I'm advocating, especially since it's a ride I enjoy) they'd have a large amount of land in which to use, with a station up on the summit. Again not something I see happening, but it is possible.

Another place that I'm actually surprised has never been used is the area where the Cyclone 500 ride is. I seldom see that many people on the go-carts, I've thought for years that land was going to be used for a coaster. For a long time I was being told that the park was at least considering that land as a location to move Flashback. I never was terribly sure how accurate that information was but it was floating around.

While it's highly unlikely, I still wonder if Six Flags would ever consider a parking structure for at least some of the parking lot. That would open up some space as well.

"The north side of Sammurai Summit houses Gold Rusher and Ninja, and Golden Bear Theater is on the South side" (Bolliger&Mabillard)

NITPICK ALERT!!! Just for orientation, the Golden Bear Theatre is actually on the east side of the mountain, and Gold Rusher and Ninja are on the west side.

Eric

In a 2008 interview with Six Flags President and CEO Mark Shapiro, the Los Angeles Times quoted Shapiro stating that Magic Mountain will be installing a new roller coaster for the 2010 season. People have said it will be a record breaker as the tallest and fastest in the world. It will be a mirror image of Kingda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure, which currently holds the world record for tallest. An interveiw with Six Flags said that they will NOT be getting a Tony Hawk's Big Spin. People say it will be a record breaker, yet no one knows for sure. In addition, a brand-new themed area dedicated to younger children based on the Wiggles is to follow in 2011, along with an expansion to the adjacent Hurricane Harbor water park.

LULZZZZ

While it's highly unlikely, I still wonder if Six Flags would ever consider a parking structure for at least some of the parking lot. That would open up some space as well.

Eric I've also thought that this would be a future possibility for the park if they were needing to free up some space. Many years ago I always figured that the park would expand out into the parking lot over near Colossus. However the park has since added Scream! which is in the way if they ever wanted to do an expansion like that.

^ Yeah, Scream!'s placement sort of makes a dead end over that way. That's one reason I don't think they'll go that route.

As I've stated before, they'll get creative when it comes to squeezing in new attractions. And remember that there are still older attractions that can pass into history and open up some room. You think they'll keep Buccaneer and Swashbuckler forever? They're still popular, but both are 30 years old as it is. Tidal Wave will probably not be around much longer, either...at least I don't think it will be.

Eric

^On the website it says that it ends October 31st

How will the crowds be next weekend? Does anyone have any ideas? My last SFMM trip (which was supposed to be last Sunday) had to be postponed until next Sunday

last year they added Nov 1 and Nov 2 at the last minute.

^ I saw that on Wikipedia! That is hilarious ,yet that would be (kinda) cool to have a Kingda Ka clone. It is definitely not in any kind of Six Flags budget though. I wonder how the person who edited it got that, or if it was a joke.

They wouldn't spend that kind of money on a clone when that product could easily be built taller and faster for record breaking purposes. I can't help but think that if a park wanted a record breaking coaster along the lines of TTD & KK it would end up passing the 500ft. mark.

Not saying that I think this ride is going to happen (and by that I mean I seriously doubt that this ride is going to happen), but I seriously doubt the park cares much about the whole clone thing. The thing about a clone, especially when they're on opposite sides of the country, is that nobody is really going to know it's a clone. Other then the people on this site, most people would never have the slightest clue that an exact copy of a coaster exists elsewhere.

With that said if I were to build a clone I think I would add on 1-2 mph and maybe an extra 5 feet of height simply for advertising purposes.

Other then the people on this site, most people would never have the slightest clue that an exact copy of a coaster exists elsewhere.

Aside from Youtube. Those guys are perceptive. Without them, we never would have realised that Psyclone and Terminator are just the same ride renamed, or that every inverted coaster in the world is just a rip-off of Raptor.

"The thing about a clone, especially when they're on opposite sides of the country, is that nobody is really going to know it's a clone. Other then the people on this site, most people would never have the slightest clue that an exact copy of a coaster exists elsewhere." (AllenA07)

The bolded part explains why it ticks me off when people around here get upset about clones. No one knows they're clones except us. And the parks don't build rides for us.

Would I like a Kingda Clone? Honestly...no. But I also don't mind whatever SFMM has in store for us.

Eric