TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum.

Anyways, I'm a season pass holder and I went to fright fest for the first time ever this past Saturday. All I can say is...you get what you pay for.

I arrived around 5pm and bought a wristband($5). The festivities hadn't started yet so the first thing I wanted to try out was Colossus backwards. It was pretty cool. The wait was only 20 min. Once it got dark I went to the mazes and scare zones. Only 1 of the mazes was actually good. The rest kinda sucked. No where near as good as Knotts. The scare zones were a joke. The areas were lit up, so there really wasn't any scaring being done. The costumes were also pretty weak. I love going to magic mountain...but not for halloween. I know six flags recently went BK, but they should invest on some good mazes and costumes. the only cool thing about my trip to MM was colossus backwards, rides in the dark, and first time being on Deja-vu.

Just a 411 for anyone thinking of going to MM for Halloween.

I'm personally hoping to go to both Universal and Magic Mountain this year. I know not to expect too much of Magic Mountain as I've been there in years past, but the upside to their Halloween event is you still got a ton of great rides to ride as well as mazes to go through, and you can enjoy it ALL DAY! I think a lot of people forget that and judge the Fright Fest simply on how it compares to others when they forget that a) it's not a separate ticket and b) there are 16 coasters to enjoy, some even backwards or in the dark!

I prefer to think of Fright Fest as supplementing my day at Magic Mountain, where as if I were to go to Knott's or Universal I'd go just to do the mazes and such.

^ Funny...this past Sunday, I had about a two- or three-train wait for X2. On and off in less than 15 minutes.

Eric

I like that Sunday much better, I've pretty much made other plans now.

I'm still ticked off about the the upcharge ontop of the gold q-bot, what is it at the moment, $10 a ride for X2 or Terminator Salvation. Although I doubt you's need it for Terminator Salvation on a quiet day.

I hope this Sunday is a "Quiet Sunday." This trip will be the first time my brother has been to the park since he blacked out on Goliath several years ago.

I'm a little disappointed that Colossus Backwards is only running at night, but I'm sure the line wont get too long.

When I was there on Sunday, backwards Colossus opened at 6pm. I wasn't over there during the afternoon, so I don't know whether it ran or not before then.

Eric

It actually opened at 5p on Sunday 10/4.

Funny thing is, in the morning it valleyed/got stuck at the midcourse. So both sides were closed initially. When we arrived in the parking lot around 1130a they had a bunch of engineers getting ready to winch/pull it up on to the brake run enough to send it the rest of the way. It was really windy and chilly in the morning hours, so I have a feeling that was a contributing factor for empty testings gone wrong.

The front side opened around 2p. When rode a little after 3p we asked an op what time the other side would open, she said 5p. Despite the various announcements that it was opening at 6p, it opened at 5p as she said...we boarded a little before 530p.

I had only done it backwards once before (back in 2002) and I have to say the ride is definately rougher backwards, but not too bad. I had forgotten just how roomy those trains were too!

One thing interesting was that they sent out an empty train to race with us. We got ahead, but it caught up and passed pretty quick.

I remember when Colossus first ran backwards with the old three-bench PTC trains in the early '80s. Initially it was done for Fright Fest, but later on ran like that all year. The ride has two tracks, so why not? Only then, the backwards side was the track closest to Goliath.

So I've ridden both sides of Colossus forward and backwards!

Eric

^The op working unload on the backwards side kept telling the controls op to hold up and start dispatching at the same time as the other side, but she wasnt having it. Honestly they were having such a difficult time getting people on and off the ride, it wasnt worth the extra hassle. All the denied boardings due to height checks, baby swaps, and people not following the yellow and black tape on the platform made for lots of stacking (at least while we were over there).

Oh yeah, and suprisingly X2 had one of the shortest waits I have seen (save for the morning of WCB and the Terminator Pre Opening Party). In fact you could pick which side you wanted to wait for and thats where the line began...no more than 10-15 minutes.

I know I posted this idea already but I thought since psyclone's trains are on colossus again, I'll post this train switching idea again. Its impossible to do but its a fun idea to poke around with. Switch Riddler's trains with the Scream! trains. What do you guys think?

I might be going tomorrow but I still haven't decided yet. But I'd like to go and check out Fright Fest!

I've always wondered this though, what if they changed the orientation of X2's trains so that in the station you're facing forwards and not backwards. Total fantastical thought right here, but you know, everyone dreams!

Colossus Backwards was running all day yesterday with two trains, although the yellow train did come off for a little bit for a problem with the lap restraint.

However, the surprise of the night ridewise was Terminator. It was cold and condensation formed on the track... needless to say, it was running even faster than it ever has.

As far as mazes, Lector's Slaughterhouse was probably my favorite. And if ya'll remember Brutal Planet, you'll recognize parts of both Slaughterhouse AND Bite.

Went to Fright Fest yesterday and I'd have to say that my favorite maze was Willoughby's Haunted Mansion. It was the longest and I got scared a lot! (I was the second person through the maze!)

Few notes:

Lector's Slaughter House was pretty good, but it was short, as was Bite. I almost feel that I'd rather see them put in 1 really good, long maze in rather than 2 short mazes. Just don't do it like Brutal Planet...

The 'ride hauntings', Log Jammer and Tidal Wave queues, were short and lame. Going through Tidal Wave there must have only been 5 actors in the whole thing. Log Jammer's was better, but there was really nowhere for them to hide well so it kinda ruined it. I think it would be sweet if you were able to go through the maze and then get on Log Jammer and have even more actors throughout the ride (Blood Falls).

Jokester's Hideout was actually really fun, but like almost every other maze, was really short. There were some great effects in it and I loved the spinning tunnel in this maze. And they made Pop Goes the Weasel scary! This maze has so much potential they just need to expand it more.

Oh and Scream on Scream was nonexistent. Viper was supposed to be in the dark and it was still completely lit up. And I actually enjoyed the whole 'rave' scene by Batman, it really made the whole area lively and fun.

Unrelated to the Fright Fest, but X2 went down 3 times while I was there. The first two were for audio, and the last time was because they were having trouble rotating the seats back to dispatch the trains.