TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^I imagine that the theme park industry walks a fine line trying to balance those out. Between budget and guest satisfaction. I would love to learn how it is done and what parks do and don't do that leads to a guests satisfaction or dissatisfaction of a park. There is so much to learn!

^^The nearest alpine slide is at Heritage Square, which is 15 minutes south of Boulder. It is smaller and tamer though than the one at Winter Park.

Jordan 0 - B&M 1

From the article posted above, here are a couple relevant quotes.

-Six Flags hired more people than ever before to work at the parks

-their guest satisfaction surveys remained at or above all time highs.

-Ride downtime was slashed

With the rest of that article though, Shapiro was very elusive in reveling any details. Almost like he doesn't want to commit to saying something like a new ride when it might not happen. This whole 50th birthday might be somewhat of a gimmick it seems like.

@smartestcoasterkid- Vail has one too on top of the mountain, one that is open during the winter too I believe (like Park City's). Between the MTV studio and alpine coaster on top of the mountain, who needs to ski? I want to know why those alpine coasters like the one at glenwood don't count as credits though.

@atem- No megalite...I mean I hardly consider that a family attraction anyway. Lets be honest anyways, the list of "needs" for a park though is never ending for a coaster enthusiast.

What about Wiggles World? Could that have a "children's ride?" Interesting that nothing was said about the previously announced coaster for 2010.

But if the new ride is a Tony Hawk or Dark Knight coaster, it doesn't bother me. Like it said in the article, laying low on giant coasters year after year after year will ensure the long term survival of Six Flags. Then they can build bigger and better rides, just not as many and as often.

And I think we already know that SFMM is one of the chain's premier parks.

Eric

But if the new ride is a Tony Hawk or Dark Knight coaster, it doesn't bother me. Like it said in the article, laying low on giant coasters year after year after year will ensure the long term survival of Six Flags. Then they can build bigger and better rides, just not as many and as often.

Agreed. I would be happy with a new ride no matter what it is because it's new. If we get a Dark Knight I don't care because if it means the long term survival of Six Flags than I'm ok with that.

Andrew "Bring on the THBS" Iorio

^ Having said that, though, I don't know what kind of capacity THBS/DK have. If either is fairly slow to load and move people, then it might not be a good fit for SFMM. Perhaps that's one reason why DK was rejected previously. (The never-built DK at SFNE was offered to SFMM, but they turned it down---so I heard.)

Eric

^^THBS at SFDK does have the slowest moving line there...but it also attracts a huge crowd, so we'll have to see where SFMM goes with this. I am all down for a medium sized coaster in the 40-70 foot range. Or a dark ride like at other SF parks such as Monster Mansion and the likes thereof.

Edit: A splash battle would also fit the bill nicely as they chose to build SFMM on the surface of the sun.

^ Having said that, though, I don't know what kind of capacity THBS/DK have. If either is fairly slow to load and move people, then it might not be a good fit for SFMM. Perhaps that's one reason why DK was rejected previously. (The never-built DK at SFNE was offered to SFMM, but they turned it down---so I heard.)

Eric

How much do they cost to build though? If they cost a little than SFMM might change their mind.

Andrew "SFMM will have the first THBS with Fire and Audio" Iorio

True...lets see if an SFGAm fanboy answers our question!

However, the restraints and loading processes of a splash battle are much less complex than X2's

Buccaneer Battle has had NO LINE whatsoever this year. I went to the park 5 times over the summer and every single time I rode it was a walk on. To tell you the truth, there were more people shooting from land, than there were on the actual ride.

What about Wiggles World? Could that have a "children's ride?" Interesting that nothing was said about the previously announced coaster for 2010.

And I think we already know that SFMM is one of the chain's premier parks.

Eric

I'd have no doubt in saying Wiggles World will have at least one or two children's rides, just like Thomas Town wouldnt be Thomas Town without some sort of Thomas The Tank Engine themed attraction. But seeing that, as you mentioned, the '2010 coaster' was not elaborated on-and I dont think the guy even asked Shapiro about it during the conference call-, nor was Wiggles World.

What I gotta ask if its possible that Mark let slip the mention of a third attraction (the children's ride) that is not obviously Wiggles-related?

And if they do receive a Dark Knight or a Tony Hawk ride, I hope the layout will be at least completely different.

Hmmm, I am the SFGAM fanboy...

I would think 2,200 people per hour for the splash battle. It has continously been running with 10 or 11 boats, and it just keeps on going with 8 people per boat. Never is my 20 visits to SFGAM have I not seen Buccaneer Battle with a line when it is super hot outside. Even when all the boats are filled to capacity.

SFMM should adopt a Mack Splash Battle!