TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I know a lot of people are saying that the lack of freefall cleared up some space, but come on. Really? It's a tiny little plot of land, and furthermore, doesn't anybody remember that RR literally went OVER the ride? It would take some mean custom fitting to get something else to go there. I know that it is a possibility, but there are many other, larger, pieces of land to work with.

Chris.

It's actually a bigger area over there than it seems. The "on-stage" area was quite a small footprint, but there is a decent sized backstage area right there too. A ride could definitely fit in that area.

^What backstage area are you referring to?

^You may agree with it, but it is an up charge attraction so SFMM probably makes a decent amount of money off of it.

I don't have any real statistical information for you, but from my observation every time I go to the park the only up-charge attraction that gets any real ridership is Dive Devil. Cyclone 500 hardly draws anybody and add the fact that it's a costly ride to maintain, (gas, go-cart servicing, etc.) I don't see that it would be making too much money for the park, if any.

I think that it would be a great space for a coaster or something else just to break up the monotony walking through that area. Before Terminator, you could walk from Deja Vu all the way to the Jet Stream/Gold Rusher area and you wouldn't hit a single free attraction.

But who knows, I want Magic Mountain to surprise me!

I am still wondering why they won't put anything over in the Colossus County Fair area? I mean it's a dead area of the park and if they give it some love and put, who knows a THBS there, It would liven up that area of the park.

Andrew "Still dreaming of a Mega Lite in 2011" Iorio

Maybe you guys are getting the first Mega Lite in the US. It's not a bad idea and there small and fairly cheap. It also brings airtime to your park...which you desperately need. I like SfMM just because there top competitor against Cedar Point...which I hate.

X2:

Capacity: 1600 riders per hour

Piraten:

Capacity: 810 riders per hour

I don't really think a mega lite would work at a large park like SFMM, unless it was a custom one with longer trains and more block sections. It still wouldnt have great capacity even after that

^LOL! I'm guessing X probably hasn't hit more than 1100 (if that)....

Underneath/behind/next to Tidal Wave. With Freefall's maintenance shed gone, something could definitely fit there combined with the "on-stage" space. In fact, it was rumored Terminator would wind through that area...

Why are you comparing X2 capacity to a Mega Lite. Of course it's going to look bad. Large park or not a small coaster like that would be nice at MM. My opinion.

@Coaster Prince:

I think he was trying to present the case that the park for the most part engineers high troughput in their major attractions (yet I can't for the life of me figure out why they bought a 850pph GCI) and a Megalite would go against that...but then again so did Terminator so whatev...

@Coaster Prince:

I think he was trying to present the case that the park for the most part engineers high troughput in their major attractions (yet I can't for the life of me figure out why they bought a 850pph GCI) and a Megalite would go against that...but then again so did Terminator so whatev...

Ah I didnt even notice Termy's capacity...though I have yet to ride it with a line, so I havent experienced the queue first hand.

But if SFMM can make a ride with a projected 1600pph into like an 1000pph ride, who knows what they'd do with an 810?*

*denotes that the pph estimate for X2 is probably listed way too high on RCDB

Underneath/behind/next to Tidal Wave. With Freefall's maintenance shed gone, something could definitely fit there combined with the "on-stage" space. In fact, it was rumored Terminator would wind through that area...

Well "wind through" is a bit different & easier to pull off than landing an entire ride/queue/maintenance area in that space AND keeping all the back stage buildings intact without alterations, which would no doubt be a requirement.

Maybe an aerial photo would help me understand, but I don't see how there's enough room for both a new ride & all the backstage area without the ride being rather small, even if Tidal Wave was removed.

^ I honestly don't think SFMM would be too concerned with a bunch of rides all over each other. If done right, it wouldn't be a bad thing.

Next year's coaster may not be a big one anyway---perhaps a wild mouse type or a spinner, and they don't take up much room. While I have not personally ridden a Tony Hawk or Dark Knight coaster, something like that fills the gap between "kiddie" and the "Xtreme" that SFMM is known for. Capacity on those isn't so great, but then neither is it on X2 and Deja Vu, as has been pointed out.

Not everything that will appear at SFMM will be big and themed. And I don't think it needs to be.

Eric

Next year's coaster may not be a big one anyway---

As long as it's not another "Parking Lot: The Ride" like Scream, then I'm down. I love it when rides intertwine (see Tatsu/Orient Express/Revolution and Ninja/Jet Stream).

I think a smaller ride tucked in somewhere could be really cool. I second the idea of using the dead space around riddler/freefall/batman overflow. that could be fun. make a small TwoFace attraction or something. That could be cool!

Thinking about going to Fright Fest this year. I've never been and have always been curious about their event. So I was wondering what nights would SFMM's Fright Fest be the least crowded or dead? Also how does it work, like you stay in the park all day and then the mazes open at some point as upcharge? What time do they open?