TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^TKO! Anyway back to the Tatsu subject like it was said before it is the tallest, fastest, and longest flying roller coaster so I think it's awesome the way it is. Sure it would have been better if they used the mountain but it's a great ride the way it is. Anyway that is my two cents.

As Tatsu goes, even if you don't think the ride itself is all that great, you do have to like the view from the so called "egg turn" and from up high on that mountain. Topping the lift, you get one of the best views in the park.

Eric

The lift and the pretzel are the most exciting parts of Tatsu for me, you've just gotta love how freaky the height on that ride is, the whole midsection doesnt really do too much for me though, it feels really slow. The egg turn looks like it should be forceful and I expect it to be, only to be let down, every time.

But Tatsu is still my 3rd favorite ride there

I don't know how the pretzel loop is on other flyers, but Tatsu's is 1-1/2 times as high as all others, even Manta's.

Funny...I can still remember when Gold Rusher's spiral was the thrill of the park!

Eric

^Superman:Ultimate Borefest.

Enough said.

I'd have to say that of all the rides I worked at the park, Tatsu was my least favorite. Fun ride, but I was there when the last two cars were designated for flashpass, and they used that stairway towards te back of the station, and before the locker policy. When we'd have all three trains, and you come back in the opposite station from which you left, people would hop the gate to get the stuff they left on the side. Annoying.

For the amount of room that they had to build Tatsu, its a pretty incredible ride. They had to design a ride that could some how be put in the middle of the park and still make a good ride. The height of the ride is probably one way they conquered it. There's really only two parts of the ride you get really close to the ground. The pretzel loop obviously and the bottom of the first drop. Its a pretty impressive piece of engineering for how much space they had to work with. As for it being slow, I think almost all flyers go slowly through the barrel rolls because of the position your body is in is alot more venerable to g-forces so I'm sure if they could have it go faster through the barrel rolls they would. You guys correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there's any flying roller coaster out there where the train's go through the barrel rolls with too much smoke.

^Better yet...

"The Tatsu train will accomodate four flyers per row. In preparation for your flight on Tatsu we would like to remind you that loose articles such as hats, cameras, purses and cell phones are not allowed and must be left in a lo.cker or non riding member of your party. Enjoy your flight aboard Tatsu".

How much do the ride ops there know about the coasters they operate? Because I remember there was this one Scream op a couple years ago that was saying "I'll make the ride more awesome if you can answer this question." He asked about the height of the ride, and then where the ride was from. I'm not sure if he was a coaster nerd or something, or just all ride ops are at least decently in the know about their rides

I dont know about now but when i worked at six flags in 1976, a lot of people worked on different rides. So it is understandable that most dont know the stats. I am more concerned with speed and getting trains out of the station than what they know about the ride itself. I dont want to spend all day waiting in line.

^Everyone I work with knows our ride and it's stats, some people just like to do the spiels themselves and others do not.

I was at the park yesterday and it wasn't very crowded! We didn't ride many coasters because we spent a long time in Guest Relations discussing our issue with souvenir bottles and lo.ckers.

I didn't like how some ride attendants didn't follow the same loose article policy as others. At the queue split on Tatsu they were telling people that they couldn't bring souvenir bottles into the station area (last time we went in June it was ok) We were told that we could leave them in a lo.cker or in the grass to the side of the stair case. Of coarse I went with the grass and even put mine above the others next to a sprinkler. When we came back from the ride it was gone!

I'm not upset about the bottle being, but I'm upset that they expect us to stand outside in the heat all day without something to drink. Right when enter the queue for Terminator they tell you that your souvenir bottle must be stored in a locker, and now you have to stand in a hour and a half line without anything to drink.

I wish I remembered the supervisor's name we talked to at guest relations, because when I told her we like to stay hydrated before riding coasters because it prevents us from getting sick, she told me that that was just our problem.

^ Weird. Now, while I don't know the current and official policy on free ice water at Six Flags, I do know that it has never been an issue when I have asked. Though, a lot of times employees are misinformed and try and charge you.

For example, while it isn't a Six flags park, I know that when I was at Carowinds on a hot summer day they had park wide announcements over the speaker system about being able to get free water at any of the vending locations. And when you went to the locations they had water ready to go.

Magic Mountain is no different when it comes to the heat. I'm sure that they would rather give out free water than have an incident where someone is passing out from heat stroke or exhaustion.

Does anyone here know the official policy for Six Flags in regard to free ice water at the vending locations?