TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

The entire layout of the ride depends on the weight of the trains, from the heights of the hills, to the banks of the turns. I also don't think fitting a wide B&M train into Goliath's dixie cup sized tunnel is a very good idea. Goliath is fine without the B&M or Intamin trains. Lets just see what the new ride has in store for us, maybe we'll get lucky and have one of those trains on the new ride.

I agree that SFMM shouldn't bother replacing Goliath's trains with four-across B&M ones. Those trains are pretty wide, though. Goliath's track gauge is close to or identical to that of B&M rides. If Goliath's trains seated four across, each train could carry 60 people!

Spend the money elsewhere, I say. SFMM could always get some sort of Intamin or B&M hyper or giga sometime in the future.

Eric

The fact that Intamin is going to be building a hyper coaster at Kings Dominion leads me to believe that Magic Mountain wont be getting a hyper but I could be wrong. I'm going to stick with a smaller ride like Maverick that can pack a lot of excitement and speed with a small design for what I think is going to be built. Can't wait to see what the new coaster is going to be!

SFMM has its hyper (Goliath), and Superman--The Escape, which it still claims to be over 400 feet tall (OK, the tower is, but the cars never get anywhere near the top).

Something in the 300+ foot range may well be in store for SFMM, as over and over at our Q&A sessions, park management appears to be quite interested in making SFMM the world leader in roller coasters. They've claimed that SFMM will regain the title of having the most in one park, and even though smaller coasters will raise the count, I don't think Jay, Neal, and Tim are going to settle for that---they're going to go BIG again sometime.

Granted, that's just my opinion, but I think we will see something like Intimidator or Millennium Force out there at some point.

Eric

Well, I just can't wait until they announce something. Hopefully what is to be revealed will be right around the corner.

Something big will really get me pumped up. But regardless of what we get, I don't think I'll be too disappointed... at least we get this attention for new rides and attractions unlike other places like SF America.

But hearing the things I'm hearing from you guys above, I hope they do go BIG, Goliath-BIG personally ( ). I don't know if that is the right direction for the park, however. That's disputable.

^ Jay and Neal have both said that while SFMM wants to increase the number of its family friendly rides, they're not going to forget those of us who like the more "Xtreme" thrills. Not every attraction will be for all members of the family.

Eric

Terminator filled SFMM's 'Good Woodie' hole (Hmmmm I probably could have worded that better... ) But there are 2 spots that SFMM still needs filled, more family rides, and airtime, their new coaster will probably take up one, if not both of those spots

^I'm gonna have to disagree. I know on-board audio seems to be the way to go, if you find the layout to be "boring" a bunch of random movie quotes and a streak of fire won't really change that.

I just went to great adventure and i want to join in on this very long conversation, if I may :

Bizarro was substantially more agreeable and amusing than Scream! has ever been for me,

HOWEVER, Bizarros onride audio was absolutely ludicrous and ridiculous.

They should have played MUSIC!

Who wants to hear people yelling about things ? Yes it raises anxiety, but in an unkind way. Some good techno would have made things a lot better.

Thinking about this discussion,

Scream! and Riddler seem very similar, very large rides with many inversions. So perhaps the park can add safely another hyper coaster, making it substantially different than Goliath, since it did not seem to think that adding Scream! would conflict with the similar, albeit it NOT layout of Riddler.

( many people think, oh loops, whats the difference? )

Magic Mountain needs to clear some things up,

Nitro and El Toro would most definitely beat Goliath and (I assume) Terminator any day of the week. As wonderful as Goliath is, and I do fancy its helix and would choose to ride it right now for that reason vs Nitro, the parks next coaster needs to truly shatter everything we have conceived of.

it needs to be LONG, it needs to be intense, it needs to be spectacular, and it must not be a clone.

I do vote for a hyper coaster with tremendous airtime, personally.

Take for instance Tatsu, this is a wonderful wonderful ride, and yet it is far too short. So much more innovation with the terrain could have been done. Some people seem to be complacent with stamping roller coasters here and there just for the sake of it, although the rides are good, sometimes they are missing a certain amount of quality.

For instance, how much more amazing Goliath could be with one or two intense airtime hills, and the helix! Or if they KEPT THE LIFT HILL GOING FAST AT THE TOP FOR EJECTOR AIR like it once somewhat had.

I can't speak for Bizarro's audio but I do know that the only time I could hear the audio tracks very clearly on the rides at Magic Mountain was when they were going up the lift hills. I heard some glimpses of audio in parts of the rides but it wasn't very clear and it was very brief. I think the ride with the best on ride audio is California Screamin'. You can hear it very clearly and if its working properly it flows with the ride very well. Its not people yelling, or gunfire like Terminator, it's just music. Granted the audio on x2 can be humorous if you haven't heard it before. X2's audio does a good job getting you antsy for the drop but once the ride starts you can't hear it that well. California Screamin' has the best on ride audio in my opinion.

There's no doubt that Disney does their audio best. They time the music with the speed of the ride instead of the action in the first car. For instance the song on Screamin speeds up as the train speeds up, but on X2, the "Gooooiiiinnngggg dooooowwwwnnnn" only times with the front car as the back car is still looking up at the sky at that point. While the audio is inaudible on some parts on X2, you can hear it for the most of the ride, Terminator on the other hand is unacceptably quiet rendering the onboard audio completely useless beyond the lift.

Take for instance Tatsu, this is a wonderful wonderful ride, and yet it is far too short. So much more innovation with the terrain could have been done. Some people seem to be complacent with stamping roller coasters here and there just for the sake of it, although the rides are good, sometimes they are missing a certain amount of quality.

For instance, how much more amazing Goliath could be with one or two intense airtime hills, and the helix! Or if they KEPT THE LIFT HILL GOING FAST AT THE TOP FOR EJECTOR AIR like it once somewhat had.

It's a lot easier said than done. There are limits, parks don't have unlimited resources and money.

Tatsu: Keep in mind that Tatsu was $21 million as it is. Any longer and we're talking about a coaster that only Disney or Universal could afford. Probably a $30+ million coaster.

Goliath: A lot of rides are slowed down on purpose for maintenance reasons. The faster a ride goes, the more likely things such as welds, bolts, etc. are going to come loose, wheels wear down faster, track needs to be inspected more, etc. And thus, the park has to spend more money to upkeep these rides. Just simply slowing a ride down can solve a ton of future problems waiting to happen.

Tatsu is almost a thousand feet longer than most other flying coasters (only about 250 longer than Manta at SWO). It is rather short, but packs a lot into its layout.

Goliath could have been more as well; even a second airtime hill and/or helix (like Titan at SFOT) would have been nice. But I like it anyway.

As I've said, I don't doubt that SFMM will come up with something really big at some point. Just not now while the company is trying to get itself together financially.

Eric

It's a lot easier said than done. There are limits, parks don't have unlimited resources and money.

Tatsu: Keep in mind that Tatsu was $21 million as it is. Any longer and we're talking about a coaster that only Disney or Universal could afford. Probably a $30+ million coaster.

Goliath: A lot of rides are slowed down on purpose for maintenance reasons. The faster a ride goes, the more likely things such as welds, bolts, etc. are going to come loose, wheels wear down faster, track needs to be inspected more, etc. And thus, the park has to spend more money to upkeep these rides. Just simply slowing a ride down can solve a ton of future problems waiting to happen.

this park can build a new coaster every year, though,

surely for instance, not building scream, would give them $40 million (?) to work on with a really really really really good coaster?

I'd rather see them create themselves as being able to have made Tatsu the most incredible ride ever, going through tunnels along the mountain, doing amazing things, than having built it the way it is, very wonderful (much better than superman ultimate flight) and incredibly short.

the same with Goliath, 2-3-4 airtime hills, the super helix still there, would make this the best hyper coaster ever, if they make the first drop have airtime.

if you can't afford to keep your rides amazing, why build them? its a suicidal park plan. Goliath was so much better when it had air on the first drop!

this park can build a new coaster every year, though,

surely for instance, not building scream, would give them $40 million (?) to work on with a really really really really good coaster?

I'd rather see them create themselves as being able to have made Tatsu the most incredible ride ever, going through tunnels along the mountain, doing amazing things, than having built it the way it is, very wonderful (much better than superman ultimate flight) and incredibly short.

the same with Goliath, 2-3-4 airtime hills, the super helix still there, would make this the best hyper coaster ever, if they make the first drop have airtime.

if you can't afford to keep your rides amazing, why build them? its a suicidal park plan. Goliath was so much better when it had air on the first drop!

I'm sure the vast majority of the GP thinks Goliath and Tatsu are world-class coasters, and that's all that matters considering they are the ones that spend most of the money, not coaster enthusiasts. Why build a $40 million coaster that caters to a select handful of enthusiasts, when you can build a $10-$20 million coaster that the GP will think is just as good and eat right up? Also, keep in mind that they don't notice the things we do about coasters and rides, such as Goliath slowing down over the years, Tatsu being a tad bit short, etc. For most people, their local park is the only park they go to (not counting Disney and Universal).

I couldn't agree with you more there. The GP loves the rides the way they are. As much as we would love these rides to have improvements on them all the time, we aren't the largest group of people going to the parks. Also if these rides were at smaller parks with fewer coasters such as Discovery Kingdom, or Great America, I don't think people would be asking for improvements on the rides. I bet even Cedar Point would love to have Tatsu. They don't even have a flying coaster. For those who think Tatsu's too short. Isn't it still the longest flying roller coaster in the world? As well as the tallest and fastest?

^^ In regards to Tatsu being shorter than most rides.

Tatsu :Length: 3602'

Superman: Ultimate Flight (Longest of the Clones): Length: 2798'

Air: Length: 2755' 11

Manta: Length: 3359'

Source: RCDB

In my opinion Tatsu is one of the best flyers out the three I have been on. The length is a good length for a roller coaster.