TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Scream! certainly isn't the best ride at SFMM. But it's not that bad, either. Parking lot location? Pfft...who cares? Lack of intensity? So what---there's nothing wrong with a coaster that's just good fun without the powerful forces that other rides have.

Remember, the park is trying to attract families, and middle-of-the-road thrills fit that bill. There are plenty of high-intensity thrills there, and there will be more as time goes on.

Eric

^I will actually completely disagree with you there, before I knew about the loose articles policy, I brought at hat on Riddler's and they told me I had to hold on to it. I put it on my head really tight figuring that I'd just kind of hold onto it in the fast parts, to my surprise the whole ride all the way down to the last turn was "fast" and I nearly lost my hat about 5 times. Another great thing about Riddler's is how much the force is amplified in the standing position, especially the negative force on it, you really can't beat airtime on a stand-up coaster.

Another reason why Riddler's eats scream is due to the fact that it doesnt feel like you're riding a jackhammer. Plus it has the sexiest roar in the park!

Scream! certainly isn't the best ride at SFMM. But it's not that bad, either. Parking lot location? Pfft...who cares? Lack of intensity? So what---there's nothing wrong with a coaster that's just good fun without the powerful forces that other rides have.

Remember, the park is trying to attract families, and middle-of-the-road thrills fit that bill. There are plenty of high-intensity thrills there, and there will be more as time goes on.

Eric

I had always been a huge advocate to a retheme of some sort for this ride for a long time, but you have just opened my eyes to a different argument. I haven't heard anyone state it that way before.

Eric

I'd love to agree with you on this, I really would. However, this is not the arguement the PARK is trying to make with this ride. This isn't a family style, or wild mouse or bobsled type of ride that would be more family enticing. This is a 156ft, 65 mph, 7 times inverting steel beast. Now I agree that the park is trying to attract families and in doing so, they are gearing their agenda to getting them to come back. But to throw Scream in that category I think is unfair, seeing it was built circa 2003 simply to stay neck-and-neck with Cedar Point for 16 coasters (at that time) In fact it's the only ride in the park that still uses "Six Flags Magic Mountain, the Xtreme park" in its auto spiel. Nothing about that ride says "family friendly" It's just not that good for what it is and its supposed to be. It's sole intention was to be a major addition to its thrill category, and it lacks in that category. Is it bad? No. But I also see nothing wrong with admitting it's just not a good thrill ride. There are better floorless coasters out there (Batman:DK, Batman:KF/Dominator, Superman:KC, Kraken to name a few) and Scream can't hold a candle next to any of these rides. To sum it up, Scream just isn't a good ride for what it's marketed to be That doesn't mean it's not fun, nor does it mean its "bad". It's just not that "MAX" thrill that Six Flags rates it as.

Wow I wont say that Riddler's is a bullet compared to Scream! but Its certainly has a little give up if not less than Scream! They're both very fast paced rides and only have 1 spot in the ride where they give you a chance to catch yourself if you haven't been on them 100 times. I just have a hard time agreeing with Riddler's a slow paced ride. You know what would be cool, even though its impossible, if they switched Riddler's trains with Scream's trains. Not going to happen but its a fun idea to brainstorm. You could also mess around with the idea of switching Tatsu's trains with Batman's trains. Again its impossible but its a fun idea to mess around with.

^I will actually completely disagree with you there, before I knew about the loose articles policy, I brought at hat on Riddler's and they told me I had to hold on to it. I put it on my head really tight figuring that I'd just kind of hold onto it in the fast parts, to my surprise the whole ride all the way down to the last turn was "fast" and I nearly lost my hat about 5 times. Another great thing about Riddler's is how much the force is amplified in the standing position, especially the negative force on it, you really can't beat airtime on a stand-up coaster.

Another reason why Riddler's eats scream is due to the fact that it doesnt feel like you're riding a jackhammer. Plus it has the sexiest roar in the park!

You disagree with a lot of things... .

Riddlers feels horribly slow due to the fact it slows down so much at the apex of its loops and turns. Scream! for what it is was more entertaining to myself and my guests. I'd rather have the illusion of speed than going fast with the illusion of slow. A quick car can be more fun than a fast car. I find Scream! more intense than Riddler's. I could personally take a nap on Riddler's as it induces the urge itself without trying.

This is merely based on perception so to each his own.

Wow I wont say that Riddler's is a bullet compared to Scream! but Its certainly has a little give up if not less than Scream! They're both very fast paced rides and only have 1 spot in the ride where they give you a chance to catch yourself if you haven't been on them 100 times. I just have a hard time agreeing with Riddler's a slow paced ride. You know what would be cool, even though its impossible, if they switched Riddler's trains with Scream's trains. Not going to happen but its a fun idea to brainstorm. You could also mess around with the idea of switching Tatsu's trains with Batman's trains. Again its impossible but its a fun idea to mess around with.

I like your thinking. That would be something cool.

You disagree with a lot of things... .

Riddlers feels horribly slow due to the fact it slows down so much at the apex of its loops and turns. Scream! for what it is was more entertaining to myself and my guests. I'd rather have the illusion of speed than going fast with the illusion of slow. A quick car can be more fun than a fast car. I find Scream! more intense than Riddler's. I could personally take a nap on Riddler's as it induces the urge itself without trying.

This is merely based on perception so to each his own.

The hangtime in Riddler's loop is probably my 4th favorite element in the park (right behind X2's Drop, Tatsu's Pretzel, and Goliath's Death Helix)

But that ride feels ridiculously forceful on your feet, it's amazing and in no means feels slow, I'd rather have the hangtime over the standard "forceless" inversions on Scream

That is a much better response than your original and I appreciate it.

I race cars as a hobby and there are many aspects of different vehicles that I find appealing. I adore exotics for their beauty prowess, I like muscle cars for their grunt and persona, but I love Go-Karts for their fun. Has the slowest top speed of any vehicle I drive but is all around a lot more exciting.

So people see that differently and that is fine.

Yeah, I agree the pretzel loop would probably be pretty problematic with batman's trains . I think it would be interesting though to have riddler trains on scream's track. Are there any B&M Stand Up's that have either a Cobra roll or a zero g roll, let alone both? It could be very interesting . It would also be interesting to see how a floorless train goes through all of the loops on Riddler.

For some reason Scream always feels very intense to me with crushing positive g's while Medusa at GADV feels forceless and boring. Dont know why that is, but I like Scream better as a ride even though its over a parking lot.

Personally, I enjoy riding Scream more than Riddler's because I enjoy the smoothness of Scream compared to Riddler's. Riddler's (especially the last element (I'm not sure what the technical term is)) is much rougher than Scream. In addition, the forces towards the end of the loop pull my whole body towards the ground, causing pain in my feet, legs, and my male parts (which is why I now always sit down on Riddler's, even if I need to be yelled at by the ride op).

I find both rides equally entertaining (perhaps Riddler's even a little more than Scream), but I prioritize my safety ahead of the excitement (though now, I've figured out that sitting down on the bike seat truly works wonders; it makes the whole ride painless).

Haha I thought one of the funniest things i saw when I traveled down there watching people when they just got into their riddler seats on the train thinking it was so cool how you could adjust the seat. They kept messing around, and continued to bounce up and down and then all of the sudden. . . LOCK!!! They're all stuck in a really uncomfortable position. I saw this one girl who was probably 5 feet even and got stock with the seat in a position for someone who would be 6 5 haha. It was priceless

LOL @ people talking about Scream...

Damn we really are some greedy bastards. All these roller coasters and we're talking about how bad Scream is, when if it was in another park, people would be drooling over it haha.

I don't like Scream a lot. I like Riddler's more.

But I don't mind Scream!. It's tradition to ride everything in the park, every visit, and I try to get 1 in on it every time.

I rode it 3x straight once and nearly got a headache so I don't think it's good to do that.

I won't ride it if it has a line. When I went last Thursday, August 6, after being amazed at how long of a line Goliath had accumulated around 7 PM, my group and I headed for Scream! and the line was amazingly pathetic (at least 30 minutes maybe) .

Crazy to waste time in that line.

I think you hit the nail on the head! . Scream is in one of the top 5 roller coaster parks in the world so if its not amazing like the other rides there its just another ride there. If it was at my home park Silverwood, it would be a huge hit. I would love having scream at silverwood. We just added aftershock last summer which is a former deja vu and it's a been a huge success. If Deja Vu is a huge success, I think its safe to say scream would be too.