TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

IMO, this is what SFMM needs. Another coaster with a 42" height restriction that families can ride together.

^ I agree.

Yay! I knew I wasn't the only one that felt this way! Sure Tony Hawk wont have the greatest capacity, but it's at a park with a lot of other options. Plenty of wild mouse style coasters do well in larger parks. I think it would make a great thrill for the young families and is unique to the park's existing coaster line-up.

Sierra Sidewinder is a very popular attraction at Knott's, and is good for smaller children who are ready for bigger thrills, but don't reach the 48 inch and above height requirement. From my own experiences taking my 44 inch tall niece to KBF, Sierra Sidewinder is my favorite ride of the day and hers!

If it's a Tony Hawk coaster, it could be a long time before construction starts. When I went to SFDK in March of last year, Tony Hawk hadn't even gone vertical yet and it opened a couple months later.

Yeah, but SFDK's Tony Hawk is a portable model built on top of Zonga's Slab, All other models (At Six Flags parks) have been permanent structures.

Yeah, but SFDK's Tony Hawk is a portable model built on top of Zonga's Slab, All other models (At Six Flags parks) have been permanent structures.

For anyone who has ridden more than one of them, is there a difference in ride quality between the SFDK model and the others?

From what I remember reading, the SFDK Tony Hawk is not a portable model, but one that would take advantage of the concrete slab that was left behind by Zonga instead of tearing it all up and making new footers, it's a clone of Hankatten at Bon Bon Land.

Personally I would love to see SFMM get a Maurer Söhne spinner. I don't even care about it being Tony Hawk themed or not, but that would be another red track and black support coaster at the park, if they kept that color scheme. The biggest problem I see, is most of them seem to be 48" rides, for the bigger models at least. It would be nice to see something for the under 48" crowd that is still fun for everyone else, aka not a kiddie coaster. Seems the Intamin Spinner can be just as fun though, so I wouldn't be opposed to that, just something that's not a clone!

This might be SFMM related, or just a standard policy in the USA...

But what's the procedure on cutting in front of people? Like walking through the whole queue saying 'excuse me'?

I saw 2 girls do that at Terminator, and I was so pissed that I told the employee before you go inside the building, what I saw. She called security and they came over and had a little chat with the girls and with me, and the girls again... blablabla.

Eventually, they came back and told me that they had a group waiting in the queue and that they had to go to the bathroom, and came back. I never saw them leaving the queue, so I think it's major bullsh*t, but they weren't kicked out of the line or anything. In fact, they got to wait like right behind us, and never met up with the so called group that they left...

^

Saddly to say, that happens at about every park in the world. Regardless of what park it is.

--James

I know, but what's the policy in the USA? Over here it's more of less accepted that if you leave the queue line for whatever reason, you have to start over again (unless you're a child maybe). It's like an unwritten law. And maybe it even is written down in some parks.

Security isn't too active in our Belgian parks, but there's one park with a higher riskfactor (teenagers fighting and juping the queues etc.) and they kick them out of the line or out of the park if more people confirm what happened.

^Thats the thing, its not allowed. Its even posted at most parks that leaving the line for any reason and returning is considered line jumping. Yet and still people do it. It sucks but its just something we deal with. You have to be careful who you approach about it...sometimes its just not worth the altercation (if there is no security around).

As for a Tony Hawk style ride coming to the park. I'm fine with that. I've ridden them at both SFOT and SFFT and the beauty of a spinning coaster is that each ride will be different. They seem to offer much more of a spin than Sierra Sidewinder anyway.

As for duplicating rides within a state/region, I don't think the GP mind it. Take Texas for example. SWOT and SFFT both have Batman clones and they are in the same city pretty much.

Taking it a step further...SFFT and SFOT both have Batman clones, Boomerang clones AND Tony Hawk clones that manage to have lines. Both parks also have Scramblers, Shoot the Chutes, wooden coasters, etc. Considering the economy I'm happy for any park to add to their line up. It only helps disburse the crowds

Thats strange. I thought it was one of the top 4 rides there and there were much longer lines in rides that weren't nearly as good as it.

Wait time is more a function of ride capacity than it is ride popularity.

Goliath can accomodate more riders per hour than some other rides in SFMM. It takes a whole lot more people to create a wait time of considerable length at Goliath than it does at, say, Deja Vu. Therefore, you'll almost always see a longer line for Deja Vu than you will for Goliath.

^"Come to SFMM, we have a ride just like Supreme Scream at Knott's"

That wouldnt work. It'd need to be a gyro drop so that it could be:

"Come to SFMM, home of California's tallest and only rotating drop tower etc"

Sorry I'm just an "SFMM should get a gyro drop" fanboy