TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ Exactly, I wouldn't expect to see any mega coasters at ANY SF park ever again. Well maybe in 10 years or something when things hopefully turn around, but from how Shapiro talks, definitely not anytime in the near future. For a bankrupt SF, those days are history.

If not Bizarro, I wouldn't expect to see anything more major than a THBS clone for 2010.

It would be nice to see a major record breaker at the park but I'm sure it won't happen. I'm hoping for an intamin launch coaster like ispeed or even something like maverick.

As far as scream goes, I like the idea that someone mentioned a while back of renaming it to leviathan and adding water features to it. Then with Goliath and Colossus there they could then call that area of the park the "Land of the Giants". It would fit very well and adds themeing to Scream. And in the same year they could add the drop ride that's been rumored.

^Because right now the chain can't frivilously spend 15-20 million on adding a new ride, so painting and adding effects to an existing ride and marketing it at a fraction of that 15-20 million is just a smart business move. I was a little cynical of this practice when X had it's transformation. If anything, I spearheaded the "Boo Six Flags for destroying X" commitee. But as I start to understand business practice a little more, you can't blame them for trying. They're providing something new to it's guests, it's an improvement ot it's current lineup, and it gets an unpopular ride a second wind. The only con is that it doesn't expand on the parks arsenol, it just sustains it. But given the trade offs of more pros to one con, I think it's a pretty smart move.

I wouldn't expect to see any rocket coasters appearing at SFMM anytime soon. Shapiro's budget for 2010 and 2011 is around 200 million, and he wants to add something new to each park. He explained that the 50 million Kingda Ka was a huge mistake by the former management, and that he wants to add rides like Terminator Salvation, as well as rethemed rides such as Bizzaro and X2.

Six Flags is not in the position to be announcing record breaking mega thrills anytime soon, so I am not getting my hopes up.

Why does it have to be record breaking? They spent $20 million between X2 and Terminator. Something along those lines for 2011 is certainly possible. Just because every park is getting something does not mean each park would be getting multi-million dollar coasters. Only the parks that can support it attendance wise. While a Bizzaro retheming is possible, it also ain't going to come cheap, and if you know anything about Tim and Jay, they do not like re-treads from other parks. They want something unique to SFMM.

I wouldn't expect to see any rocket coasters appearing at SFMM anytime soon. Shapiro's budget for 2010 and 2011 is around 200 million, and he wants to add something new to each park. He explained that the 50 million Kingda Ka was a huge mistake by the former management, and that he wants to add rides like Terminator Salvation, as well as rethemed rides such as Bizzaro and X2.

Six Flags is not in the position to be announcing record breaking mega thrills anytime soon, so I am not getting my hopes up.

Why does it have to be record breaking? They spent $20 million between X2 and Terminator. Something along those lines for 2011 is certainly possible. Just because every park is getting something does not mean each park would be getting multi-million dollar coasters. Only the parks that can support it attendance wise. While a Bizzaro retheming is possible, it also ain't going to come cheap, and if you know anything about Tim and Jay, they do not like re-treads from other parks. They want something unique to SFMM.

I agree with you. While it's cool to have the newest, biggest, fastest, tallest ride around, Jay, Neal, and Tim seem to be more grounded in having the best and the mighty '$' has to come into play. I'm sure we'll have one of those new record breakers soon enough but in the meantime I hope they keep making the park better with what they have. How long does a record coaster last anyway, a few months these days.

SFMM had two live animal areas back in the day. A petting farm where Goliath now stands, and back where the Centennial Railroad and Spillikan Corners was. These features went the way of shopping mall pet stores back in the late 70''s - mid 80's.

^Because right now the chain can't frivilously spend 15-20 million on adding a new ride, so painting and adding effects to an existing ride and marketing it at a fraction of that 15-20 million is just a smart business move. I was a little cynical of this practice when X had it's transformation. If anything, I spearheaded the "Boo Six Flags for destroying X" commitee. But as I start to understand business practice a little more, you can't blame them for trying. They're providing something new to it's guests, it's an improvement ot it's current lineup, and it gets an unpopular ride a second wind. The only con is that it doesn't expand on the parks arsenol, it just sustains it. But given the trade offs of more pros to one con, I think it's a pretty smart move.

This I understand, however, unless they are really thinking outside the bun for the next ride renovation its getting redundant. The fire, mist and music has been done at SFMM...twice. I'm just saying, there's nothing wrong with just slapping some paint on it and cleaning up the area a bit without applying a theme.

How about most loops record?

Have you experienced rides like Colossus or 10 Inversion Coaster? They are just intense for the sake of being intense. (And not fun or reridable) The last thing SFMM needs is more inversions. According to RCDB SFMM has a total of 35 inversions on its rides. The next closest is SFGAdv with 20. That is a big difference! They need rides that are fun and rerideable.

SFMM rides like Gold Rusher, Revolution, and Colossus are ancient classics that deserve at least a new paint job and maybe some cool lights. Even though I love the latest thrills, I always ride these three out of respect of what they were (are). They are pieces of history and should be maintained for the newer generation and with a little minimal work they will stand proud.

^^I think that SFMM's rides are fun and rerideable. Everytime I visit that park, the rides that I reride are X2, Tatsu, Riddler, Batman, and Goliath. That's a great line up of fun rides to me that are also rerideable. I'm always able to get on them again with no problems or worries about getting sick. They're not THAT intense to the point where I pass out if I ride Tatsu once in the back row.

^Because right now the chain can't frivilously spend 15-20 million on adding a new ride, so painting and adding effects to an existing ride and marketing it at a fraction of that 15-20 million is just a smart business move.

Whatever the 2010 addition turns out to be, the process for getting it built behind the scenes would have started long before the company filed for Chapter 11. Chances are pretty good money has already been spent on the project.

I know this is kinda off topic in terms of what you guys are talking about now but... I'm heading off to California in August and we're definitely going to spend a day at MM so I was wondering what my priority rides should be. The problem is, I tend to wuss out on rides that are bigger than anything I've been on before(the largest coaster I've ridden was Fire Dragon in Busch Gardens. We didn't get to try the Hulk because the queue was like 2 hours long and it made more sense to do other rides instead) and so I was planning on working my way up to trying the larger rides. The only problem with this is that it will be in the middle of summer and the queues are no doubt going to be massive so will I end up missing out on some of the better rides? It also doesn't help that Scream and Riddler(the rides I were going to try first) are at the back of the park, and Viper and Colossus(the rides i were going to try next) are right at opposite sides of the park. Anyone have any advice of what I should do? Maybe just forcing myself to go on X2 would be my best bet.

^ If your willing to give it a try then force yourself to ride X2 it is the most intimidating coaster there and has the longest line in the park too. If you are going to ride it then get to the park before opening and run for X2 if not then try everything else first and save X2 for the last ride of the night and just deal with the line. Tatsu's line gets pretty long too so that's another line you should hit early or late.

The only problem with this is that it will be in the middle of summer and the queues are no doubt going to be massive so will I end up missing out on some of the better rides?

Buy Flash Pass online & print out the voucher before you leave. Then you won't have to worry about missing out on any rides.

I know this is kinda off topic in terms of what you guys are talking about now but... I'm heading off to California in August and we're definitely going to spend a day at MM so I was wondering what my priority rides should be. The problem is, I tend to wuss out on rides that are bigger than anything I've been on before(the largest coaster I've ridden was Fire Dragon in Busch Gardens. We didn't get to try the Hulk because the queue was like 2 hours long and it made more sense to do other rides instead) and so I was planning on working my way up to trying the larger rides. The only problem with this is that it will be in the middle of summer and the queues are no doubt going to be massive so will I end up missing out on some of the better rides? It also doesn't help that Scream and Riddler(the rides I were going to try first) are at the back of the park, and Viper and Colossus(the rides i were going to try next) are right at opposite sides of the park. Anyone have any advice of what I should do? Maybe just forcing myself to go on X2 would be my best bet.

I was there just about a week ago and can offer my suggestions. Absolutely go to the left and hit X2 first, followed by Tatsu. The most popular rides with the longest lines. Then keep walking around the back and maybe check Superman or Ninja (although by nighttime their lines are non-excistant, then hit up Deja Vu (if it's running) and Terminator (although it's new it's not all that popular and most times the walk through the queue is longer than the wait). Now that you're at the back you could hit Gold Rusher, a sentimental choice as it's been there 38 years, but if not go to Riddler and Batman, once again the queue is usually longer than the wait and Riddler gives you a great techno-house soundtrack if you like that. Then continue around and hit Scream and Goliath. You'll notice I omitted Colossus, and Revolution, which as well as Gold Rusher, can be ridden any time, there never is much of a line. But be sure to take in some of the water flume rides and flat rides.

I appreciate Myst3Exile's post, and the related responses.

I'm a first-time poster, but frequent visitor to the site as I enjoy seeing the pictures and TR's.

I visit SoCal at least once a year with my wife's family, and we typically make the DLR a priority... however once every five years or so, I am able to talk my wife into taking a day off from the beach and going with my bro's-in-law to SFMM.

This year will be a first for me - I'm taking my daughter. She is barely 48 inches tall (and just rode Ca. Screamin' for the first time a couple of weeks ago), but can now ride about half of the coasters at SFMM, so now I can take my daughter as my riding buddy. Man, I feel old. She's thrilled (I guess that could refer to both my wife - who really doesn't want to go... and my daughter).

Anyway... I had a few questions to make my trip a good one, and wanted to run some stuff by the experts:

1) We will be in SoCal the week of July 6th, and we have some flexibility as to what day we can attend. Is there a weekday that is better than others?

2) My daughter is 48 inches with a little help from the shoes. She is an easy 48 inches with her platform-ish flip-flops and borderline with her tennis shoes. Do the ride ops require her to take off flip-flops to measure, or would she be ok with them on? I don't want to take any chances here, obviously...

3) I think we'll hit In-N-Out on our way home, but are there recommendations for lunch in the park for a reasonable, good meal? ( I know that's asking alot). My girl loves Panda Express...so that's always a fall back.

4) Our game plan follows the advice given by the above poster: Hit X2 first right at park opening, followed by Tatsu, then stay on Samarai Summit for Ninja and Superman before heading down and hitting Terminator and moving clockwise through the rest of the park. Any other strategies out there? I doubt we'll ride Deja Vu (too long... daughter can't ride)... and there may be a couple of others I'll skip based on lines, and how we're doing.

5) We'll have a couple of other cousins there that can watch my daughter while I ride the over 48" coasters... I'm assuming she can stand in line with me, then wait in the station with them while I ride, correct?

Thanks for any help any of you can provide.

^Johnny Rockets for lunch isn't a bad move. The park food in general isn't bad per se, but if you don't mind paying the extra 2 or 3 bucks for a JR burger, go for it. FYI I personally love the garlic fries sold in the stand right across from Food, Etc (Next to Goliath), they run $6 and are worth every red cent. Delicioso!.

As long as your daughter rides with her shoes on there should be no problem with measuring. The only time this is a factor is when there is no floor present (i.e an invert) and since all applicable rides have a height requirement of 54'', you're fine. X might be of some concern however.

If you're going during the summer, Mon-Thur seem to be less crowded days. It won't be empty, but you'll see noticably lighter crowds than the Fri-Sun rush. I like to start with the back half of the park myself. X, Tatsu and Terminator are going to have lines at 10:31, so unless you're ahead of the pack, you'd have to wait no matter what time you get there. I prefer to start with rides in the back of the park like Riddler's, Batman, Scream, and Colossus...and maybe even Goliath. These rides tend to have sharter lines in the earlier hours of operation due to X and Tatsu being in the front. That way, you could focus on the longer lines later in the day, which at that point may have even died down a little.

The problem is, I tend to wuss out on rides that are bigger than anything I've been on before(the largest coaster I've ridden was Fire Dragon in Busch Gardens. We didn't get to try the Hulk because the queue was like 2 hours long and it made more sense to do other rides instead)

Busch Gardens is about 1 1/2 hours southwest of the park you were at which is Islands of Adventure

Somebody had to point it out

SFMM had two live animal areas back in the day. A petting farm where Goliath now stands, and back where the Centennial Railroad and Spillikan Corners was. These features went the way of shopping mall pet stores back in the late 70''s - mid 80's.

The Animal Farm has survived Goliath and Thomas Town and still exists to this day! It's smaller, but it hangs in there. Right next to Yosemite Sam's Sierra Falls. (when's the last time you rode that?!)

Go pet a Goat today!

WG

240233959_TT6.5.826(s).jpg.18de7f2a957ae27bac6bb428d0e1ff2d.jpg

The Farm