TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I really just don't see Magic Mountain spending any significant money on revamping a transport ride (metro) or installing a new one. It just doesn't seem like a smart move buisness wise.

Maybe if they found a couple big sponserships for the Metro I could see them reopening it while getting some of the costs covered. Instead of the plain colored stripes on the trains, they could cover them and advertise with those huge graphics decals you see on big SUV's. They could Coca Cola logo the entire train, for example. If they installed flatscreens like they've been doing on a lot of their rides, they could also advertise for more revenue and inform guests of park information while on the Metro.

Six Flags seems to be willing to spend money in areas that don't always offer high returns (Thomas Towns, Wiggle Worlds) and with the friendlier park attitudes they have been maintaining at Magic Mountain, a transport ride would be icing on the cake for the park. Its nice when families can bring the stroller on the ride and sit down, even the older crowds enjoy a break from walking to relax on a tour of the park. I think the guest satisfaction would outweigh the costs if you do it right.

Very good points, and your right they have been spending more money on stuff such as Thomas town, and wiggles world, however I think those will offer much higher return on investment because areas like that make the park a family destination where as metro just moves people from one area to another. And I don't think that Thomas Town cost anywhere near 12 million, so it makes sense that a kiddie land would be a much smarter investment than a revamp of an existing transport ride that isn't marketable. Who knows, in another 5 to 10 years they will have extra resorces to make it happen. And plus it's not on the SFMM wikipedia page so we know FOR SURE it won't happen!

I always hear everyone b*tching about the inaccuracy of Wikipedia, although I have yet to find a piece of false information on the site.

As for the concstruction on the adjacent land, a couple of office looking buildings went up a few months ago.. and they seem to be working on the land everyday...

I always hear everyone b*tching about the inaccuracy of Wikipedia, although I have yet to find a piece of false information on the site.

As for the concstruction on the adjacent land, a couple of office looking buildings went up a few months ago.. and they seem to be working on the land everyday...

All of the land around SFMM is owned by Newhall Land And Farm. The company I work for does a lot of earthwork for them and as of a couple months ago, the master planned community of Newhall Ranch is still going to happen. Right next to X2 on magic mountain parkway there is a sign that reads "Road to be extended in future". There is planned to be quite a bit of comercial building around the park and then further behind the park all the way to the 126 is gonna be residential mixed with commercial. The whole planned community is supposed to create upwards of 21000 homes and about 19000 jobs when all is said and done. We were supposed to break ground on the project early this year but because of the economy and slot of unsold homes on lennars other projects in town the project has been postponed. My company was actually stopped halfway through the earthwork on the West Hills project because of lennar not selling enough homes.

Anyone have an update on the Magic Mountain Pkwy offramp construction?

The North I-5 off-ramp to Magic Mtn. Pkwy. will be closing very soon, if it hasn't already. While the signs will say to use Valencia Blvd as a detour, I recommend Lyons or McBean. Valencia's liable to be full of cars randomly screeching to a halt in the middle of the road when they all realize just how many lanes must be crossed in order to make that quick right onto The Old Road.

Anyone have an update on the Magic Mountain Pkwy offramp construction?

The North I-5 off-ramp to Magic Mtn. Pkwy. will be closing very soon, if it hasn't already. While the signs will say to use Valencia Blvd as a detour, I recommend Lyons or McBean. Valencia's liable to be full of cars randomly screeching to a halt in the middle of the road when they all realize just how many lanes must be crossed in order to make that quick right onto The Old Road.

Agreed.

Seriously, what were the designers of that intersection thinking? I almost get hit each and every time I go through that intersection.

In actuality, you could also take the offramp for Newhall Ranch Rd., although it would take a little back tracking.

The easiest would be McBean, although you can bet there'll be massive traffic on The Old Rd. when the park is jammed. Lyons isn't a bad option but honestly, your best bet is McBean.

Sincerely,

R.C.

Sincerely,

R.C.

n actuality, you could also take the offramp for Newhall Ranch Rd., although it would take a little back tracking.

Unfortunately, with the construction, Old Road loses a lane right after the narrow bridge and doesn't gain it back until Magic Mountain Parkway. There's enough cars coming that way already to cause a sizeable back up that sometimes bleeds back over the bridge back to Rye Canyon Road because the children can't play nice with each other and learn to share.

Until the construction is finished, there's really no good way around traffic heading into the park. I recommended to avoid Valencia purely to avoid the risk of hit, or being hit, because of idiot drivers unfamiliar with where to turn right onto The Old Road from Valencia Blvd. IMO, it is designed horrendously, and will have a very hard time being capable of handling the traffic heading to Magic Mountain off the North I-5. If you all thought Tourney Road wasn't fun, you ain't seen nothing yet. Do yourself a favor and take McBean.

One other alternative would be to exit Valencia but turn right (not left like everyone else might be going) and follow Valencia Blvd to McBean, and turn left onto McBean. Take McBean a short way and then make a left on Magic Mountain Parkway. Then, simply follow Magic Mountain Parkway straight into the park.

Once the construction is finally finished, I think you'll all be pleasantly surprised with how much greater the capacity of all those roads, and the access to SFMM, now is. Same goes with I-5 access once the night's over. The days of the long chain of cars sitting in the right lane all the way up the hill should be mostly a thing of the past.

Is there any date set for the compleation of construction yet? They've been working on the freeway there for years, and it seems like there is still so much to do.

Well considering that freeway on/offramp construction is very tedious, and the company handling the project (I won't name the company out of respect) is, in my opinion, horribly unorganized and lost, it may take another year to complete. I'm not too sure what the extent of the remodel was but I can tell you anytime you have to work on busy public roads it is a very drawn out process.

^ It's the fact that anyone can go into Wikipedia and edit anything that isn't locked.

I just went in there and put in under Magic Mountain: "Magic Mountain is now for sale!!" It's no longer on there though.

-Tatum

I know that's the claim...but false information gets updated and weeded out pretty fast..

All of the land around SFMM is owned by Newhall Land And Farm. The company I work for does a lot of earthwork for them and as of a couple months ago, the master planned community of Newhall Ranch is still going to happen. Right next to X2 on magic mountain parkway there is a sign that reads "Road to be extended in future". There is planned to be quite a bit of comercial building around the park and then further behind the park all the way to the 126 is gonna be residential mixed with commercial. The whole planned community is supposed to create upwards of 21000 homes and about 19000 jobs when all is said and done. We were supposed to break ground on the project early this year but because of the economy and slot of unsold homes on lennars other projects in town the project has been postponed. My company was actually stopped halfway through the earthwork on the West Hills project because of lennar not selling enough homes.

Wow I had no idea so much would be going up... do they have any idea as to when it will be completed?

^ But who decides what's false and what isn't?

Eric

The moderators, they do exsist.

I think in the end, Wikipedia is a good starting point but should be cross-referenced with other material from other sources in order to ensure the content is accurate.

ADMIN EDIT: Please do not double post. If you wish to make a post in a topic in which you were the last poster, please edit your previous post.

When I put "SFMM" in google search the first hit is this link:

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/news/response.cfm?ID=2705

"SFMM, Worst Ever!"

I was hoping it would be this thread. Anyone know how to do a Google Bomb?

I consider Phoenix to be a moderate market for SFMM. They even have coupons on the Coke cans here. It doesn't help that this appears in the paper today:

http://www.azcentral.com/travel/features/articles/2009/05/28/20090528magic0531.html

All the hard work that they have done in the last two years is basically crapped on by one person at a computer. This should be a lesson to SFMM workers that you never know when a customer actually has the ability to keep literally hundreds of families away.

^ That didn't seem all that harsh to me. I think most families already know that Disneyland is a better location than Six Flags Magic Mountain. Magic Mountain's biggest competition (as far as I'm concerned) is Knott's, and they weren't mentioned within that entire article.

I have trouble understanding a lot of this talk about Magic Mountain being unfriendly. The only time I've ever been to MM or Knott's was in 2003, and my entire family (8-year-old brother included) thought Knott's was nowhere near as nice or as friendly as SFMM. It wasn't as... let's say... "family friendly" as Disneyland, but we weren't expecting a Disneyland kind of experience!

Were we just really, really lucky not to have rude employees and get cut in front of?

Seriously, expect Disneyland when you go to Disneyland. Expect Knott's when going to Knott's. Expect Universal when going to Universal. Expect Six Flags when going to Six Flags. Can we not appreciate each park's respective history, current status, and respective achievements? Why do people expect one park while going to a totally different one?