TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Forget Times Square. It looks like SFMM was the place to be on New Year's Eve. Jay Thomas really knows how to throw a party. He even brought SFKK stuff with him! Very nice and genius the way the Sky Tower was incorporated into the event. Thanks for sharing this with us Churro!

I was there that night. Riding X2 then going down to the plaza was a great way to end 2008 and start 2009. I expected a little more from the fireworks but they did put a lot of effort in the party.

If I buy the q-bot & an upgrade for X2, does anybody know yet how many times you would be able to use the fast lane for X2 with the upgrade you purchase? I'm hoping more than once! Taiko Really Happy

From what I have heard, they will send out only one train per hour full of flash pass people.

So I assume only one ride per hour, that's if you do not have a prior ride scheduled.

Well it was my understanding that the summer fireworks got cut due to the threat of brushfires, so I'm pretty sure that it was an issue of safety that the New Year's fireworks were done in moderation.

With all the rain and fog in the week leading up to New Year's, I doubt fires were the real reason. Six Flags didn't cancel the summer fireworks until this past summer, but brush fires have always been a threat in Southern California.

I love to come down and visit the SFMM park soon.

Swashbuckler (Yo-Yo) got a new color with a red center and yellow sweep much better from pea green paint.

Well i been busy with my family carnival at Johnston Amusements for the Winter Quarter today for repair, paint and fix in all lot of the rides.

I will talk to my boss Ken Johnston if i get off work and i'll come down to SFMM. Yeah Ken have the two Yo-Yo's now have one for Ken own and one was Harry Mason after Yo-Yo accident and now rides are junkyard in winter quarters along with old Chance Turbo, Sidewinder, Little Dipper, Roll-O-Plane, five Tilt-A-Whirl, Schiff Roller Coaster (from playland reno) three Super Slides, Metal Tubs octopus and bunch of broken rides but Harry Mason took yo-yo to drop it off at Elk Grove near Sacramento so I saw Mason's Yo-Yo got damaged and they parked there at Ken Johnston's property.

^ The ride was still flat as of Sunday, and the park is currently closed. I'm sure if we're all patient we can find out the progress this upcoming weekend, unless the park wishes to share potential progress sooner.

Well it was my understanding that the summer fireworks got cut due to the threat of brushfires, so I'm pretty sure that it was an issue of safety that the New Year's fireworks were done in moderation.

With all the rain and fog in the week leading up to New Year's, I doubt fires were the real reason. Six Flags didn't cancel the summer fireworks until this past summer, but brush fires have always been a threat in Southern California.

Please let the fire marshall and the park management be the judge of fire danger conditions. And fireworks weren't an advertised part of the event, but the added pyro was supposed to enhance the SkyTower countdown. Take issue with that if you will, but don't act like you were promised fireworks.

-Jahan

Looks like the event went really well, the true test is to see if the park does this again for 2010. I'm still assuming that this was the test run, see how things go down. Next year if they decide to do it again it very well may be a bigger event.

As is though, for those stuck in the area it looks like a good time!

I don't think anyone is complaining about the fireworks... I know I'm not. I think it was a fine touch. I can see how some people may have wanted to see more of them, but New Years is usually associated with confetti, streamers, noise makers, and silly hats. There was plenty of that. For this event to be in its inaugural year I think it has potential to grow to what some cynical people have in mind.

what the hell is going on here?almost all other 2009 projects are almost complete yets this one hasn't even went vertical, Has GCII strected themselves two thin with all of their 2009 projects?. Isn't this ride slated to open in may? that's what 4 months away this isn't a plug n play, can they actually pull this off in less then 4 months? I know Terminator isn't that huge of a coaster but it is a classic woodie in Cali, I'm hoping this isn't a rush job and Terminator ends up running crappy because the time wasn't taken to insure high quality work is being done.

^ Yeah, it's not like they are professionals or anything!

The ride could probably open in March if they wanted to. 60% of the ride is already built - they just need to put it together.

I doubt rides ever "suck" because they are rushed. They usually suck months before hand while they are still on paper. In short, Terminator will be fine, and awesome, and probably open right on time.

But there could always be Extreme Makeover: Theme Park Edition, where a meth induced Ty Pennington acts like a cartoon character while they build the ride in a single weekend. He could even tell Mr. Six to "move that bus." Sorry.

-Mike