TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Side note: those LED screens must be at least 120ft long to have the effect work. Pretty impressive.

Here's the companies website: http://www.sidetrack.ca/

But anyways...Eric brings up a great point: advertising! Everyone says there is no return on investment for peoplemovers like the metro or a new way up the hill, but advertising could help offset those costs when the economy improves.

Of course, magic being magic, they probably don't want Metro back because it takes the same number of ride ops as most of their coasters (4 with only 1 train running).

One interesting thing I noticed last Saturday was that Viper was running 3 trains.

The park had the cheerleading thing going on, but even when I was there two weeks prior they were only running two trains (another cheerleading day). It was pretty awesome having no wait at all, although they were stacking every time - sometimes even double stacking. I'm pretty sure its because they were doing this with only 3 ops (I thought they needed an additional load and unload to do this).

^^Those things are cool! I've seen the one on the Metro in LA and one on the Bart in SF. Public transportation FTW!

Actually an escalator/ramp would be a prime place to put advertising and/or some form of entertainment. While ascending/descending it, you could watch LCD screens with ads/features.

That would have to be a dangerously fast-moving speedramp for the technology to work, I think!

Anyway, I love the hill! The hill provides awesome, tree-filled terrain for Tatsu and Ninja, two of the greatest coasters there.

I must admit I've only ridden Superman once, though, and that has a lot to do with its location. That being said if it was Xcelerator up there, I'd climb my ass up that hill every visit!

Keep in mind, too, that the advertising doesn't have to be LED/LCD screens. When you're on an escalator/Speedramp, you move slowly enough to be able to read even something printed and posted. Look at those signs they have now---just a rolling fabric with a scrolling LED message on the top. Those work fine for what they're trying to do.

Those big screens work on the Metro because the trains pass at a high enough rate of speed.

Eric

I just bought 3 season passes plus 1 parking pass. I'm looking forward to riding the Grand Centennial Railway and seeing the miniature horses again. Followed by rides on the Galaxy, Freefall, and Swiss Twist.

I really REALLY want to go to Magic Mountain, but my parents thinks to it's too far of a drive.

Well it would seem like your choices are to drive yourself, ride in a friend's car, take a bus, or some combination of those. You're 17. It's time to start thinking beyond the parents!

Who knows, maybe they'll be impressed with your showing some initiative in figuring out a way you can go without them, and decide to drive you for fear of your getting eaten by wolves somewhere along the way.

Some more information for New Years Eve...

http://www.the-signal.com/news/article/7039/

Some highlights of the article...

The daylong festivities include a nighttime deejay and dancing, Guitar Hero and Dance Dance Revolution video game competitions and karaoke.

Hopefully this will keep the lines shorts

The celebration continues with a countdown display on the Sky Tower and a toast to ring in the new year.

Toast? Why don't they try donuts?

During the day, families can ride rollercoasters X2, Tatsu, Scream, Goliath and Colossus.

Okay, isn't that like a normal SFMM day?

Younger thrill seekers can take part in dozens of family adventures, including the two interactive children's areas.

Dozens?

Tickets cost $29.99 at www.sixflags.com.

Pretty cheap, I expect a huge crowd. I think this is a good idea. It makes New Years for the whole family instead of just for adults to drink too much.

I've decided to do the New Year's Eve event, just booked a room for New Year's Eve at the Holiday Inn Express so I won't have to be on the road after the park closes. Should be a lot of fun, and definitely a different way to spend Dec. 31st than I normally do. It worked out pretty good this year, I'm doing Christmas Eve at Knott's and New Year's at SFMM!

I am going with my brother and 2 nephews that day. So thats 4 people going. The kids are gonna be shocked at how awesome the rides are. They originally wanted to go to Universal Studios to go on rides. :lmao

About how crowded will the park be on the twenty-third? Thank You
:

We went this last Saturday and were averaging a ride every 10 minutes, the first two hours. I'm in my 40's and I was getting a little tired. We hit Goliath, Collosses, Scream, Batman, Riddler, Gold Rush in less than a hour. No lines, and it was like a ghost town. Maybe the cold and the short hours kept people away. We left super early.

Maybe Six Flags should try some different things to get people into the park for the Holidays. It's too bad they can't transform the park into a winter wonderland. I was disappointed (even I knew) that their wasn't more Christmas theming around the park. I wonder how festive New Years Eve will be, if they don't decorate it up a bit?

Also, it might be a good idea to get more people into the park, maybe giveaway free passes to the military, like Knotts and Busch Gardens/Seaworld do.

^ On the winter wonderland note...it has been know to snow in Valencia, thus covering SFMM. Rides wouldn't likely be operating in such conditions, but people could still come in to shop, eat, etc. if they had a craft fair or something along those lines. One of the hills could be covered with snow to provide sledding if they chose to do that.

Eric

The New Years event looks like a good attempt at tapping into the holiday crowd. It's just that the locals dont' associate the park with the winter hoildays, like they do with DL, Uni, and Knott's. SF never really has had any kind of character icon or ride icon that can lend itself very easily to a Christmas theme.

The nearest thing they have would be to give Thomas Town a Christmas makeover. A few Christmas tress - and they really are not that expensive, with lights, around the track, new soundtrack - and there you go. In general though, I have always wished they would just drive down the street to Target and stock up on Christmas lights. They have so many trees there, it is a missed opportunity.

But, I hope the locals do turn out for the New Years promotion and the weather holds out for the event.