TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Whenever you see one of those signs in front of a ride, you can take it to the bank that they're ripping out the ride & replacing it with a stand-up inverted floorless wooden rapids ride with a loop, a launch, fire, tunnels and on-board audio playing the theme to the "Meow Mix" commercials throughout the ride.

This pretty much goes for December as well...

X and Deja Vu have always been rehabed betewwn Jan/Feb so expect one train operation on X if opened an Deja to be closed for recableing. Everything else usually just drops to one train, but the crowds are historically light around this time so you should be fine.

Hope you have fun!

John Peck, I also find it odd that you couldn't fit on Tatsu, yet you fit on Batman and Riddlers. I am a tight squeeze on Batman and I require considerable assistance to get the OTSR closed far enough on Riddlers, but I fit on Tatsu with a couple of clicks left over. FWIW, I'm 6' 2" - 260. While I do have a gut, that's not what causes me an issue with most restraints. It's the retstraint pressing against my chest that makes it difficult to close it far enough.

I literally had to squeeze into Batman and Riddler, but I made it.

Im built a little differently than the average male, I have a Pear or Bowling Pin shape (thank you Mom's side of the family!) and am large in the hips and not the gut or chest so much. Im also 6' 1" which makes me sit higher as well and that will put the bar more into my shoulders.

He just couldn't get the Tatsu seat to go all the way, now also keep in mind that he didn't "lock" the seat, because I was only "trying" it while the train was loading, and he said it wouldn't go. I cant do X-Flight/Firehawk anymore either, but im working on it hardcore this winter.. or else I wont get to ride Diamondback, and it's been 4 years since I rode Mill. Force, and that is my wifes favorite and misses me riding it with her.

Im sure that someday I'll get back to the Mountain; X was my main goal this time anyway. And I got a couple laps on my favorite SFMM coaster, Goliath.

Rock N' Ride in the New Year at Six Flags Magic Mountain! Along with Six Flags' amazing array of extreme coasters and thrilling rides, this year we're adding a host of fun New Year's Eve activities.

The "safe and sober" celebration will include music, dancing, a special countdown display on the park's infamous Sky Tower and much more. The park will be open New Year's Eve from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. (Rides close at midnight) All activities are included with Park admission.

http://www.sixflags.com/magicMountain/events/RockNRideNewYear.aspx

The rides close at midnight? That sucks. "Happy New Year everyone! Rides are closed now!"

They're probably doing that so it will entice people to go into the gift shops and buy crap before they leave. Heck 30 min of walking around would get really boring with nothing to do. It's a way for the park to make more money.

^As far as Southern California goes, Magic is the only park that is shutting down all the rides at midnight. I belive Disney and KBF only have to shut down a few for fireworks.

But I don't think it's a big deal.

Yeah, it's not a big deal. I'm not sure why anyone would make it out to be a big deal. You go to the park, ride a bunch of stuff and at midnight they have the big countdown and fireworks as the finale of the evening.

Why is that a bad thing?

--Robb

Probably not, but after all the hoopla & hysteria over the midnight countdown has come & gone, I'd like to be able to ride for a lil' while afterwards. I think the general public would have been pretty receptive to the major rides (X2, Goliath, Viper, Tatsu, Batman, Riddlers, Scream!, Collossus, etc) remaining open at least until 1am, but maybe I'm wrong.

It is true that most folks leave the parks by a certain hour anyway. Disneyland at midnight is a ghost town unless there's something big to stick around for, but after the 10:30 Fantasmic! show, just everyone's gone or on their way out. So while I would prefer to stick around after midnight and ride coasters at least for a little while, I can see why Magic Mountain thinks it's not the best use of money to stay open just to indulge we night owl riders.

That being said, for New Year's Eve, there are A LOT of people still in the park at 12:00am, and to just tell them all that the rides are all closed and they have nothing left to do but either buy something or leave just seems like a missed opportunity to me. If it was up to me, I'd have left the rides open until 1am, but I'm sure there are plenty of cost-related reasons why that's not a great idea.

Perhaps a special ticket offering for New Years' Eve post-midnight coaster rides (ERT), similar to the $50 campout/X2 preview would have been a decent idea?