TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

It still looks (though I fully admit I could be wrong, while they show that there is work, the pictures are limited) as though they are really just getting started with the preliminary work. Makes me wonder if there is going to be a Memorial day (or even mid summer) opening. I'm not really up with the process for building a wooden coaster as much as I am a steel coaster, but I would be willing to wager a guess that wood takes longer to build in general.

Good Job on the Detective work there!

I'm sorry, but I don't believe that phone call one bit. I HIGHLY DOUBT Six Flags would EVER ever ever give away information like that to GP! Unless you told them you were from like...The White House, I highly doubt they would tell you. They haven't even had a press release. I remember that Mark Shapiro had mentioned something earlier this year, but come on. That's just silly.

Now, as for this whole additional charge for the mazes. So, if you don't WANT to go in the mazes, you don't have to pay this additional charge? You can still just go to the park all day, and go to FF at night, and not worry about paying extra? Oh and also, I know that a lot of parks don't have re-entry for their Halloween events(Knott's and Universal are very strict on this rule), is FF the same? Because I was planning on taking a nap in my car and coming back for FF.

IS it me or does those white stacks in the picture look like what pieces for a wooden coaster would be wrapped/transported in?

YES! it is. I work with those type of stacks all the time. Its actually LUMBER wraped with plastic for protection. So i guess well be looking @ a new wooden roller coaster soon.

there we have it folks.... looks like a woodie is comming to the mountain

It still looks (though I fully admit I could be wrong, while they show that there is work, the pictures are limited) as though they are really just getting started with the preliminary work. Makes me wonder if there is going to be a Memorial day (or even mid summer) opening. I'm not really up with the process for building a wooden coaster as much as I am a steel coaster, but I would be willing to wager a guess that wood takes longer to build in general.

That's true except for the fact that Evil Kineval (sp?) seemed to go up pretty fast. Of course that might have been because it was almost a clone and a layout was posted. Hopefully we will know before the end of the month.

I have no info on the secret project. Only the execs have the knowledge and my inside peoples have no dirt. WYSIWYG.

But, yes the B&M Psyclone trains are permanently left on the Colossus transfer tracks in body bags (tarps) and they are for colossus backwards because of the headrests.

Frightfest will have a $5 wristband for the mazes themselves. The walkthrough areas and the shows still seem to be free. That's what I was told by inside man #1. They'll sell wristbands at the giftshops (guest necessity, flags, attitudes).

they always have hand stamps for one readmission. Admission is like normal, I guess they're just trying to recoup some more $ from season pass holders.

I'm really looking forward to a log jammer scareshow again, they did it before.

Also they're land clearing with GOATS, but the goats are sponsored by somebody's cycle shop I think. It's weird and on the other side of the employee road.

I have no info on the secret project. Only the execs have the knowledge and my inside peoples have no dirt. WYSIWYG.

I wish I had people. =(

But really, is it that had to just sit back and watch without critiquing the park's every move?

I'm really looking forward to a log jammer scareshow again, they did it before.

What???

Time for some clarification:

The not yet named new maze in Log Jammer’s Lower Queue Line : Willoughby’s Industries invites you to work in its new waste disposal facility. Just beware, work is mandatory and escape is impossible. This toxic destination leaves no one unchanged.

There will be a walk-through maze in the lower Log Jammer Queue Line, and is called Warehouse 13. This will be simlar to the Asylum walk-through maze.

The $5 does indeed buy you a wristband which gives unlimited access to all 5 mazes. The shows and scare areas will still be available for all guests. However, I highly suggest buying the wristband this year becuase of a few changes and upgrades to a few of the mazes in addition to the new Warehouse 13.

I don't think $5 for all the mazes is going to be a problem, in fact I think it is a good move on the part of SFMM. I had disagreed with the move when I thought it was going to be $5 per maze. However if for $5 you get the entire package I could see the park pulling in a nice amount of revenue without upsetting the guests to the point that they pass on the mazes all together.

As for the new ride being built, now that we know something is going on, all we really can do is sit back and wait for the announcement. The thing with wood is that other then knowing it's a wooden coaster, there really isn't a whole lot else we can tell. With steel you can see the track, get an idea (sometimes) of inversions, and generally tell the type of coaster (standup, floorless, upside-down spiral of death, and so forth) that is going to be installed. With wood when you look at the track you're going to see just that, wood. Not a whole lot more descriptive then going down to the local Home Depot and checking out the Lumber section trying to figure out what your house will look like when finished. With that said I can't wait for the thousands of pictures of dirt moving around and holes being dug into the ground, because watching a coaster grow is just plain fun! In terms of an announcement I'm still maintaining that we will not hear anything until November/December. I'm simply going on the prior history of the park, and the fact that they seem to like to let Fright Fest come and go before saying anything.

It should be a fun few months to follow coming up!

Is Roar in SFDK the same as the Roar in SFA?

If not, are all of GCI's coasters unique? I hope so, because the fact that SFMM and CGA have both announced new GCI woodens for 2009 makes me nervous that we'll be getting a couple clones in California. Any thoughts?

Stay quiet, sit back, and wait until the coasters are built, you say?

What are we all doing here then? Exchanging Sharktums-friendly hotdog recipes?

^ Roar at SFA and SFDK are *basically* the same, but not exactly the same. CGA's coaster is also on hold if not cancelled by now.

--Robb

To further confirm the difference, SFA's Roar has a track length of 3,291 feet, while SFDK's Roar is 3,468 ft. The layouts are generally similar, though.

WOOT!

Woodies are my favorite! Rough smooth whatever, only woodie that has ever hurt for me was one of the drops on Psyclone. Im really excited! I will definitely participate in some kind of camp out or event for it if there is one! X2's camp out was a blast!

If they are building it in Psyclone's old spot i bet many or the GP wouldn't even know it was new after it is open for a few months. Probably still call it Psyclone.

If they are building it in Psyclone's old spot i bet many or the GP wouldn't even know it was new after it is open for a few months. Probably still call it Psyclone.

What I was thinking too. If it ends up resembling any sort of medium sized traditional woodie, no matter how different the layout or how much theming they add, the clueless GP will just think it's just Psyclone redux. Especially after the X/X2 redo.

Hoping that spot isn't definite, unless they think completely outside of the box and build something like this:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig215.htm

Then the rumours of a Terminator-themed family woodie wouldn't be sounding so ludicrous. Only with better theming and sets than TDK I would hope if so. (always fun to speculate!)

What I was thinking too. If it ends up resembling any sort of medium sized traditional woodie, no matter how different the layout or how much theming they add, the clueless GP will just think it's just Psyclone redux. Especially after the X/X2 redo.

Then the rumours of a Terminator-themed family woodie wouldn't be sounding so ludicrous. Only with better theming and sets than TDK I would hope if so. (always fun to speculate!)

I disagree. X2 proved to me that you could market ANYTHING. Lol. Some of those "clueless GP" don't even realize that X2 is X! They think that it's an entirely new coaster! People will be seeing ads for Terminator and come to the park, for Terminator. If they were to actually make the Psyclone-connection, I'm sure one ride would change that immediately. Lol!

-Jahan

^ I second that motion. Everytime I have stood in the X2 line this year I've overheard the conversation discussing how "they tore down X and replaced it with X2".

Hell, people enter the X2 line thinking its Viper! They are shocked when they to the split and realize its a different ride.

Did Jay Thomas not stated that the new coaster will not be in the old Psyclone Spot?

If they get really creative, they could have the station by Deja Vu and take it thru the backroad passing roaring rapids all the way towards Viper. Obviousely i have no clue just thinking this would be the last time they could build a coaster along that side of the park with the road extension and housing coming to that area in the coming years, no way they would get that approved after these were build

Edit: Of course i ment Jay Thomas