TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

X2 Accident?

http://ugv.abcnews.go.com/player.aspx?id=6151309

This video aligns with an earlier locked thread. The video doesn't really prove anything. Can someone from the park categorically dispute the information in this video?

The video somewhat proves it. Notice the panic of everyone. Employees would never let crowds of people roam like that, unless of course such an uncontrolled event did happen. Analyze the video, notice the placement of the trains.

I knew video of this would eventually hit the internet.

If you pause the video at the 41 second mark, it looks to me like that car in the middle of the screen is the first train's last car (with the electronics and everything), bent or crushed at a strange angle.

How it should be:

How it looks in that video (look to the left of the pole):

Also notice the second train right behind that car, past the old unload station. It looks to me that something happened, although not the kind of "first train went flying out of the station" thing that the other poster claimed had happened.

Well, hopefully they can work this out soon.

Yeah I saw this on RCPro. I am just think how mad SFMM must be. They spent $10million on making X into X2, I don't know if the trains are okay, I am amusing not, but I could be wrong, if I am right, then there are 2 of the 3 trains gone, and if they operate it with only 1 train, the line will be forever! I think X2 will down for a while it just opened back up and now we got to wait again!!!

Anyway can anyone say X3?!?!?!?!?!?

If memory serves, the X and X2 trains do not have bumpers like B&M trains do, for example. So IF there was a collision in the station (the 2nd train either not stopping or moving from a stopped position forward and hitting the 1st train), then this is the type of damage I think you would see. But this has not been confirmed or denied, this is all just speculation at this point, but it makes sense along with what other posters have said.

IF the two trains hit each other, besides the wheels nailing each other, what on the train in the above pic could have hit the audio box? Or was the force of the impact enough to do that?

Did this even happen?

If memory serves, the X and X2 trains do not have bumpers like B&M trains do, for example. So IF there was a collision in the station (the 2nd train either not stopping or moving from a stopped position forward and hitting the 1st train), then this is the type of damage I think you would see. But this has not been confirmed or denied, this is all just speculation at this point, but it makes sense along with what other posters have said.

IF the two trains hit each other, besides the wheels nailing each other, what on the train in the above pic could have hit the audio box? Or was the force of the impact enough to do that?

Did this even happen?

I'm really not sure, but I was pointing out what it looks like to me. Maybe we'll find out exactly what happened sometime soon.

I wonder... If it's true how did it happen?

I'm thinking either....

1. Somehow ALL of the brakes AND pinch tires at the end of the brake run all the way into the station totally failed and let the train freely roll into the station or just all of the brakes, includung the magnetic ones failed and the train sailed through the brake run and the pinch tires only slowed it down a little (tires squeeling as it ripped through them) and it hit the train parked in the station. (extremely unlikely if not impossible).

OR

2. The brakes worked fine but the pinch tires either brought the train through the (old) unload area not stopping and rolled it into the other one...or, the train was stopped in the correct position in the (old) unload area and for whatever reason, sensor or PLC malfunction or something else, rolled the train into the other one parked in the load/unload area. (extremely unlikely but possible). But for this to occur there would have to be a serious malfunction either mechanically or in the control system.

I have a question though...

If one train is parked in load/unload and a second one is parked in the old unload, will the PLC let the ride ops 'accidentally' bring the 2nd train from the old unload to the current load/unload (which would crash into the 1st one)? I would guess that it would not let that happen but I am just curious.

Also notice the second train right behind that car, past the old unload station. It looks to me that something happened, although not the kind of "first train went flying out of the station" thing that the other poster claimed had happened.

Look at the first train. It's half way out the station. The amount of force to move a train of that size, that far, would be a lot.

Whatever the case may be, the ride is currently operating.

If anyone was at SFMM today, it was a great day to be there. Hardly any lines---even at Tatsu, which was running 3! trains and using both stations. I waited five minutes tops for a ride in the front row.

After a two-train wait and a ride on Ninja (and, no, we didn't run into anyone!), I started not feeling well, so I headed out.

Though I didn't ride X2, I did notice that it seemed to be cycling fairly often, so whatever happened there (or didn't happen) doesn't seem to have affected it.

Quick visit, but the park looked very nice. William, if you were there, I'm sorry for not looking you up. Maybe next time!

Eric

William, if you were there, I'm sorry for not looking you up. Maybe next time!Eric

Yep, I was at the Batman Show. Next time indeed!

Was [the private party] after the accident?

The private party was held on 9-5-08.

The Fright Fest Job Fair was amazingly successful. Over 150 people showed up, and the Entertainment Department was able to be very picky about who they wanted to hire.

Heckles and Twitch made an appearance, and the potential new ghouls enjoyed their presence as well as being able to get a feel of each maze or area which had available positions.

I like how Tatsu is running three trains in the off season too

So do I! In fact, I touched on this very subject not too long ago...

What I have a very low tolerance of is any theme park charging as much as possible for parking/admission, etc and then turning around and purposely cheaping out on those guests. This can be done by not running more than 1-2 trains on weekdays. This can be done by hiring minimum wage slackers who'll spend more time chatting with each other & on a cell phone than actually doing their job. This can be done by building two loading stations for your attraction, and then rarely, if ever, using both sides. It's very transparent when it does happen. That's why people complain about it & have complained about Six Flags doing it for years.

There's a difference between being cheap and being efficient. Back in the 80's the capacity/attendance trends/economy were different. Times have changed since then. A park has to find that balance between efficiency and fiscal responsibility. If the park is only predicting 10,000 guests, it doesn't make sense to run more than 3 trains (or whatever the number might be).

I'm OK with a park doing what you call "being cheap" as long as they react accordingly to any crowds/lines that do build up. It's being smart with their money.

SFMM Management is clearly not currently being smart with their money here. Personally, I'm all for parks not being smart with their money by running at high capacity! I want more! MORE!!!

-- PMM