TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^I would guess its because CA is more desirable destination tha FL. What besides theme parks would make someone take a trip to FL? I don't think people go for the hurricanes. Oh...that's right, the loose latin women in Miami.

Hmm--beaches, the Florida Keys, the Everglades, conch chowder. Yeah, there are a few other things in Florida.

^I would guess its because CA is more desirable destination tha FL. What besides theme parks would make someone take a trip to FL? I don't think people go for the hurricanes. Oh...that's right, the loose latin women in Miami.

Hmm--beaches, the Florida Keys, the Everglades, conch chowder. Yeah, there are a few other things in Florida.

I can attest to this. I have been on vacation in Florida 3 times without ever stepping foot in a themepark. My parents have gone down every year for the last 10 years, sometimes several times a year, never going to a theme park.

Ever Heard of Spring Break?

Yeah, beaches, nice weather, hot men. Sounds like a perfect vacation to me.

I'd like to see that lake front area near that Batman theater get some love, however my guess is somewhere down the road that area is in for a major overhaul, where either the lake will get cleaned up or removed all together.

I'd be happy to see them take out the Eagles Flight footers in the lake, but in all reality that's just me being overly picky.

I always thought a little lake in that area would do wonders.

Tear down the Waterfront foodarea(which i think has been there since park opening) and build a updated version closer to the back of the theater. Use that newfound space for a little lake, like the one you can find at The Grove with some dancing fountains (

)

and have seating to enjoy your food all around that fountain

I know it probably will be cost prohibitive, but can you imagine how great that area would look?

Maybe they can combine the theater and expand the lake and come up with a new attraction similar to Disney's Fantasmic Show. I don't think they could out do Disney and Six Flags doesn't have the Studio Talent that Disney has. Maybe they can can cut a deal with Lucas Lights and Magic.

Those fountains are built by a company in burbank called WET design. And you don't want to know how much they charge. It's unlikely unless the king of persia buys SFMM you'll see any of those.

But seriously, It's frustrating to follow magic mountain because they promise all these great things and then either say 'just trust us, wait for a while, the 5 year plan will be great" or they say they'll be cool tunnels on X2 and they say, yeah, whoops. We hate spending money, nevermind.

Maybe i'll get excited again when track shows up for the 2k9 coaster but i'll scream if it's going to be another six flags over asphalt.

I hate that rollercoaster ride following their ups and downs. Whatever, i'm going into hibernation for the summer. You all enjoy the park for me.

Maybe i'll get excited again when track shows up for the 2k9 coaster but i'll scream if it's going to be another six flags over asphalt.

I would seriously doubt that. That was the work of the old SFMM management. The new management has put great emphasis on the aesthetics of the park, which they showed once again by putting the time and effort into getting the falls working again. Whereas the old management in all likelihood would have simply let it sit for at least another year or two.

^ I think that is being nice to them. they would have just let it sit there and never fixed it.

I am hoping that the Metro gets fixed. This is much needed in this park! the orient express isnt bad but just does not get the job done for the whole park.

^ I think that is being nice to them. they would have just let it sit there and never fixed it.

I am hoping that the Metro gets fixed. This is much needed in this park! the orient express isnt bad but just does not get the job done for the whole park.

Yeah, I probably am being a bit generous there.

It was stated before that they won't be fixing the Metro because it would simply cost too much. Hopefully though we will eventually see another good transportation ride. Perhaps even one that ventures into the Rapids/Tatsu area...one can always hope.

I would love a transportation system more than anybody else. But as they revealed during the WCB, not only are such things costly, but they aren't easily marketable. There's no short-term profit returns on an investment like that.

I wouldn't count on it.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie downer. I just know how "I wish SFMM got a new monorail" easily turns into "Did you hear SFMM's getting a new monorail?" on the Internet.

-Jahan

^ Eh, you can't trust the Internet when it comes to stuff. Remember that SFMM was supposed to get Bench--The Ride back in 2000. You saw how far that got. Heck, even the benches never came...

Seriously, though. I can understand why a transportation ride wouldn't be "marketable." Imagine...TV ads, billboards, newspapers, etc.---"Come to Six Flags Magic Mountain and ride the newww...MONORAIL!" Not exactly gonna fly with most folks.

However, if you broaden your horizons a bit, you can see how something that's "not marketable" could make a difference. For example, the park really could use more places to sit; i.e., benches. The benches themselves won't increase attendance, but they come in mighty handy on hot days when guests need to rest their feet after walking all over the park. No benches = nowhere to sit. Parents get tired and want to go home. Will they come back anytime soon? No way---there's nowhere to sit.

Now, you add some benches, and those same folks can recharge their batteries, so to speak, will stay in the park longer, and---chances are---will add a meal to the day, a few souvenirs, and at the very least, a cold drink or two. That's something they wouldn't have done without a few minutes' rest.

Same goes for a transportation system. The park is big. Such a system saves a lot of walking and gives riders a chance to rest up for more time at the park.

I understand where management is coming from---especially because not only is a "new Metro" not marketable, but a new version would have to meet ADA requirements, meaning that elevators and/or ramps would have to be installed at stations, and new trains with flush loading and wheelchair space would have to be ordered. And most likely, the current track structure couldn't support the new trains and would have to be replaced.

So, no new Metro.

Eric

That is like me saying "I don't think people go for the earthquakes"

Other than theme parks Florida is known for springs and beaches. Not to mention in some springs you can encounter wild manatees. I can list many places people visit in FL other than theme parks

^The Florida Springs are some of the most beautiful bodies of water I've ever seen. Only problem is that the majority of people don't know about them. Scuba diving with the manatees is amazing. And the less known beaches are often great places to spend a day. The Everglades are also a very unique place to visit. Florida is full of things to do other than theme parks.

Seriously, though. I can understand why a transportation ride wouldn't be "marketable." Imagine...TV ads, billboards, newspapers, etc.---"Come to Six Flags Magic Mountain and ride the newww...MONORAIL!"

Well, sir, there's nothing on earth Like a genuine, Bona fide, Electrified, Six-car Monorail! What'd I say?

Monorail!

That's right! Monorail!

I hear those things are awfully loud...

...It glides as softly as a cloud.

Is there a chance the track could bend?...

...Not on your life, my Hindu friend.

What about us brain-dead slobs?..

...You'll be given cushy jobs.

Were you sent here by the devil?...

...No, good sir, I'm on the level.

The advertisement practically writes itself!

^^Classic advertisement. I'm sold.

Now back to park jibberish. I would't rule out a Mack as the 2009 coaster. Sure lots of folks would disagree that they would invest in a wild mouse, but Mack has more than just Wild Mice in their catalogue. I give it til November. If 2X4's start showing up you know it's a GCI, and I'm almost certain it will be, but you never know.

SFMM lacks in the launched coaster department, they have S:TE but it's outdated, not really family friendly, or very thrilling imo. 2k9 could bring one of those awesome looking Gerstlauer launched coasters like Farup Lynet custom layout without inversions.

Or

S&S flying Eagle that looks like a thrilling coaster imo, the whole family can enjoy and very unique. Awhole new take on the spinning type coaster giving SFMM two coasters unlike any others in the entire US and World with the exception of EJ in Japan.

I pray they're saving any SFMM wood for INTAMIN!!!

I actually disagree that Superman isn't family friendly, the ride has a low height requirement, and generally speaking, isn't so intense that the whole family can't ride it.

I would love to see SFMM get a nice Intamin launched ride (Storm Runner style would be nice) but I just don't see that in the plans at this point in time.

Seriously, though. I can understand why a transportation ride wouldn't be "marketable." Imagine...TV ads, billboards, newspapers, etc.---"Come to Six Flags Magic Mountain and ride the newww...MONORAIL!"

Well, sir, there's nothing on earth Like a genuine, Bona fide, Electrified, Six-car Monorail! What'd I say?

Monorail!

That's right! Monorail!

I hear those things are awfully loud...

...It glides as softly as a cloud.

Is there a chance the track could bend?...

...Not on your life, my Hindu friend.

What about us brain-dead slobs?..

...You'll be given cushy jobs.

Were you sent here by the devil?...

...No, good sir, I'm on the level.

The advertisement practically writes itself!

Is that from the Simpsons?

I actually disagree that Superman isn't family friendly, the ride has a low height requirement, and generally speaking, isn't so intense that the whole family can't ride it.

I would love to see SFMM get a nice Intamin launched ride (Storm Runner style would be nice) but I just don't see that in the plans at this point in time.

I dought there gonna get a launch coaster... Knott's has one most people in california that wanted to ride one have gone to Knott's

I dought there gonna get a launch coaster... Knott's has one most people in california that wanted to ride one have gone to Knott's

Knott's having a launch coaster is irrelevant. DCA also has one, and Knott's is even building another one. Maybe you should put your "dought's" aside.