TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^^I liked X's queue music. I hope similar music is on X2.

I know, how can you not like Sandstorm!

Easily. It's one of the most overplayed and annoying techno songs! How cool would it be, if they had Tiesto or Ferry Corsten blasting in the queue line? (obviously, a fan of techno if you haven't noticed)

Easily. It's one of the most overplayed and annoying techno songs!

Definitly. I'm not a huge fan of the genre but I've heard enough to know that song is not "top notch" techno.

In my opinion, Oakenfold is one of the better techno artists, mostly because he blends the tracks on some of his albums. Crystal method and New Order (the artists of the songs in X's line) also make equally catchy tunes, and like I said already, hope to hear them get some spins in the X2 queue.

I never understood why people complained about X's music (some did at WCB tempting Tim to perhaps not have the same style on X2), I always liked it, even after standing there for 45 minutes each ride. Now if Sandstorm was playing, I might've pulled my hair out...

Maybe it's just that I'm not a fan of techno, but there is a LOT of it in the park and it gets old fast. If it is your thing I can see where it wouldn't get to you, but unless you're an out and out fan it gets annoying on all the big rides (Riddler, Scream, X).

Here's the thing... it's not as if I out and out dislike techno. It's okay... but it's just not what I want to hear for 3 hours on end (One wait in the X line) let alone again and again in other lines. We need some variety.

When deja vu stops there, they have to evacuate the riders. The second catch car doesn't go down far enough to grab the train again. So what they do is evac all of the riders off. Once thats done, they have a winch that pulls the train up to a position where the catch car can grab it, and then reset the ride from there.

Ah, not at SFGAm. What happens is that they unlease the brakes in the loop, and it rocks back and forth frequently applying the brakes. It gets closer to the second tower. They might winch the ride, but the people don't have to come off at SFGAm.

I don't really believe that the catchcar just doesn't want to latch on to the train. I believe that the train doesn't come at the right spot because of the speed, and it doesn't want to latch on because there is no place to latch onto. If the catchcars are timed to move at a certain time, than the train will have different speeds of when it gets to the towers.

For example, let's say the train goes at 63 mph, and the next time it goes at 66 mph. It's a 3 mph jump. The catchcar does it's job on 66 mph, but on 63 mph, it goes up and the train is there, but the catchcar is to far up the tower to catch the train. Sometimes, the catchcar just doesn't move at all, and you have a miscatch. That was happening at SFOG. It just didn't want to move on tower 1 to pick the train up.

I think that Invertigo's doesn't have the problem like the GIB's do. I don't hear anyone saying that Invertigo's are always broke like Deja Vu. There are two differences I have found. I haven't ridden an Invertigo. I've only been looking at videos. The first one are the towers. It's a smaller size than Deja Vu. It should have less speed than Deja Vu which should help catching the train better. The other one I think Invertigo has which should make such a big difference is that I think it has brakes on the towers. You go why would they make a difference. It stops it in place so the catchcar can latch on in the right place.

I think it would be hard to put brakes on Deja Vu because it's a 90 degree tower. I think LIM's would be a great option, but than you have to put metal on the train so they can work. Than, I think the catching would mostly be solved. However, there are other problems like a power problem. They make some of these rides so weak with power. It's too hot of a day, and how many times is it going to break down today because of it?

Invertigo feels like less weight compared to Deja Vu because of the 90 degree tower. Of course, they have the wheels to help a little bit, but it takes a lot of energy to hoist that thing 90 degrees in the air compared to Batman the Ride. I just don't think that the Invertigo will have the same experience as Deja Vu. I can't wait to ride it this year, but I just don't see it.

For regular boomerangs, look how that works. On the first tower, you have a catchcar, and on the second tower, you have brakes, and a chain lifthill. When you are almost done with the ride, the brakes are applied in the station, and you go back and forth until it stops. Than, the catchcar comes down the first tower, and it reattaches to the train for the next ride. It's a very smart design, and it shouldn't break down that much compared to Deja Vu. Too bad, it's not as great in my opinion as Deja Vu.

As to my knowlege, SFGAm's Deja Vu always had the platform for the cobra roll. However, they didn't have a platform for between the loop, and the cobra roll. I was there the night that people were evacuated from the ride by a fire truck because it would just go back and forth. This was the other side of the loop. It wasn't a big deal for those people. It's just that they had no way to get off the ride. I wasn't on the ride, but they kicked us out of the park earlier than closing time because they were worried about those people.

It's in May on this page. http://www.rideaccidents.com/2002.html

I think that Invertigo's doesn't have the problem like the GIB's do. I don't hear anyone saying that Invertigo's are always broke like Deja Vu. There are two differences I have found. I haven't ridden an Invertigo. I've only been looking at videos. The first one are the towers. It's a smaller size than Deja Vu. It should have less speed than Deja Vu which should help catching the train better. The other one I think Invertigo has which should make such a big difference is that I think it has brakes on the towers. You go why would they make a difference. It stops it in place so the catchcar can latch on in the right place.

I know that regular Boomerangs have a chain on the second spike, instead of a second catchcar. Invertigos probably don't have as much downtime because of the fact that their spikes aren't at a 90 degree angle, I'm guessing. After watching some POVs of Invertigos on Youtube, it's difficult to tell, but I don't see any brakes on the second spike. I did notice, though, that the catchcar is way down, almost near the bottom of, the spike. It could be that as soon as the train hits it, it automatically catches from the force applied, and when that happens, it begins pulling the train up the spike to be released..

hey everyone~

Its been awhile since i have posted but I tend to read the MM Forum daily. I have been thinking and decided to see your thoughts on an idea. I have visited Cedar point a few times as well many international parks long ago. I work in the airlines and have the luxury to travel for little cost. At many parks awhile back they utilized DJ's either in the que or in the ride loading areas.

Give the size of X2's loading area, and que what would be the feeling to have a DJ work on high capacity days for the park. I ask because i am a DJ that owns all his own equipment including High Tech muti-colored lasars and effect lighting far more impressive that whats found at Riddlers. if you remember the Lasar show that used to be done at the Theater I have the ability to do the same in the loading / unloading area, feed live mixed music into their soundsystem as well extend out over the que. I have collected my own equipment from being a mobile DJ and as it sits now in my garage going to waste I have thought about putting it to use. Having grown up in Europe i still carry the same high energy music the park plays through out its rides.

I look for your general thoughts on this, as its not something I would wish to do all the time but to offer a change and variety during peak times for the park.

Rob or even Jay if you read this your thoughts as well...D'journey let the record spin....

hey everyone~

Its been awhile since i have posted but I tend to read the MM Forum daily. I have been thinking and decided to see your thoughts on an idea. I have visited Cedar point a few times as well many international parks long ago. I work in the airlines and have the luxury to travel for little cost. At many parks awhile back they utilized DJ's either in the que or in the ride loading areas.

Give the size of X2's loading area, and que what would be the feeling to have a DJ work on high capacity days for the park. I ask because i am a DJ that owns all his own equipment including High Tech muti-colored lasars and effect lighting far more impressive that whats found at Riddlers. if you remember the Lasar show that used to be done at the Theater I have the ability to do the same in the loading / unloading area, feed live mixed music into their soundsystem as well extend out over the que. I have collected my own equipment from being a mobile DJ and as it sits now in my garage going to waste I have thought about putting it to use. Having grown up in Europe i still carry the same high energy music the park plays through out its rides.

I look for your general thoughts on this, as its not something I would wish to do all the time but to offer a change and variety during peak times for the park.

Rob or even Jay if you read this your thoughts as well...D'journey let the record spin....

While I'm not a particular fan of that brand of 'High energy music' I love this idea. In fact, every time I looked up at that bridge over the middle of the loading area I thought "That looks like a DJ Platform at an expensive night club"

Even if it was just a few times a year, like how they run colossus backwards every now and then, I think this has some serious potential. Say during the weekend over spring break, and Memorial & Labor day weekends?

Easily. It's one of the most overplayed and annoying techno songs! How cool would it be, if they had Tiesto or Ferry Corsten blasting in the queue line? (obviously, a fan of techno if you haven't noticed)

I agree with this statement. Sandstorm is majorly overplayed, I don't even see why people like it. I do have to agree, they should get some Tiesto in there.

^^ That sounds awesome! Getting a live DJ to play some music while waiting in line is genius! It would defenitly get people dancing and enjoying themselves while waiting. And if I recall, the acoustics of the X station were horrible, so I hope that they fix those for X2. Or at least make the speakers louder.

---Brent

For regular boomerangs, look how that works. On the first tower, you have a catchcar, and on the second tower, you have brakes, and a chain lifthill. When you are almost done with the ride, the brakes are applied in the station, and you go back and forth until it stops. Than, the catchcar comes down the first tower, and it reattaches to the train for the next ride. It's a very smart design, and it shouldn't break down that much compared to Deja Vu. Too bad, it's not as great in my opinion as Deja Vu.

Close...

When you reenter the station on a normally operating Boomerang, the brakes are applied as you move backwards through the station and are applied again to bring the train to a final stop moving forward. There is no rocking back and forth. The catch car doesnt come down from the top of the first spike until the train is parked in the station. It doesn't actually "lock" onto the train until the dispatch and dispatch enable are pressed by the operators at the start of the next cycle.

I liked the techno music at the park. I don't consider myself a techno guy either. Batman was a little plain though with no music compared to SFGAm's Batman.

Batman had music playing on saturday when i was there.

That music is so loud.

^Sweet, less people ahead of me in line!

Has anyone seen or heard anything about X2's fire and fog effects? Or if they're still doing station construction? Or what exactly the fire and fog is going to be? Or if train 3 is on site?

I just can't believe it's a month till opening and the "special effects" are nowhere to be seen.

They played Sandstorm in X's queue?

Unless I'm crazy, it only played in Scream's queue...along with Feel The Beat. God, Darude makes the best coaster music ;D. AND crystal method.

Sandstorm was not played in X. It is played in Scream's queue along with songs from the rest of the album (Darude - Before the Storm). X had 4 songs. The two songs by The Crystal Method, one by New Order & Pump Panel, and the last one by Dream Wave (a.k.a. Sam Punk).

Sandstorm is horrible. Which makes it even worse is that Sandstorm pretty much directly ripped off my favorite underrated techno song called "Omnibus". So everytime I hear SandStorm played. I stay away. I am staying away from X2 if they play it

Actually, Omnibus is a rip-off of Sandstorm. You see, Sandstorm came in 1999, and Omnibus came in 2001. It is obvious where the influence came from.

As a techno fan (and creator), I would like to hear some of Darude's newer songs like those from his latest albums "Rush" and "Label This!" played more - some of which are better than Sandstorm. I think instead of the common 4/4 beat techno played here in the US, X2 should adapt some hardstyle European electronic trance songs by artists such as Pierre Pienaar, Ralph Novell, Alphazone, Dave Joy, etc.

Heck, they could even use one of the songs I have created. for X2. New speakers with better bass are a necessity for the ride!

Regardless if Sandstorm is old, overplayed or whatever, it still pumps up the energy on the queue. Besides, Scream never has a long wait, so why bother complaining when you know you won't be waiting long.

When they had "rockin'" scream, that music was rather different. It'd be interesting if they brought that back. Looked like a cool idea.

I don't expect to see, or in this case hear, a change in X2's new station. I assume it'll have the same music it had before. Even then it was hard to hear the music because of everybody's chatter, and during the summer when the fans are on, it's nearly impossible to hear the music...unless the fans are always working...

They played Sandstorm in X's queue?

Unless I'm crazy, it only played in Scream's queue...along with Feel The Beat. God, Darude makes the best coaster music ;D. AND crystal method.

Sandstorm was not played in X. It is played in Scream's queue along with songs from the rest of the album (Darude - Before the Storm). X had 4 songs. The two songs by The Crystal Method, one by New Order & Pump Panel, and the last one by Dream Wave (a.k.a. Sam Punk).

Sandstorm is horrible. Which makes it even worse is that Sandstorm pretty much directly ripped off my favorite underrated techno song called "Omnibus". So everytime I hear SandStorm played. I stay away. I am staying away from X2 if they play it

Actually, Omnibus is a rip-off of Sandstorm. You see, Sandstorm came in 1999, and Omnibus came in 2001. It is obvious where the influence came from.

As a techno fan (and creator), I would like to hear some of Darude's newer songs like those from his latest albums "Rush" and "Label This!" played more - some of which are better than Sandstorm. I think instead of the common 4/4 beat techno played here in the US, X2 should adapt some hardstyle European electronic trance songs by artists such as Pierre Pienaar, Ralph Novell, Alphazone, Dave Joy, etc.

Heck, they could even use one of the songs I have created. for X2. New speakers with better bass are a necessity for the ride!

Well Omnibus is still better

^Sweet, less people ahead of me in line!

Has anyone seen or heard anything about X2's fire and fog effects? Or if they're still doing station construction? Or what exactly the fire and fog is going to be? Or if train 3 is on site?

I just can't believe it's a month till opening and the "special effects" are nowhere to be seen.

I was at the park today and as we were leaving they had a gate that runs along side X open and a big rig with a flat bed was rolling in. It had pieces of a train. I was able to see the big gray circles, the parts were semi covered. My boyfriend tried to get a picture but by the time he got the camera out all he was able to get was the back of the truck.

2008_0424magicmountain0046.jpg.a870e1ea7d7b1074f67d39ec709dd50e.jpg