TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Aw man, the Four Winds, that brings back memories. I MISS that place. Was the best place to go, sit down, and RELAX in the park. There really isn't a place to do that now... Mooseburger is (by design) another loud in your face experience. There isn't anything wrong with that but it is nice to have a quieter place to sit and recharge for a few.

Wow, laughing dragon, i've been to the park countless times and that's one of the places I've never been inside. I've seen it open, but never went in. It's just the regular pizza nowadays right like at waterfront but it's indoors and probably air conditioned?

I've mentioned that a teppan style restaurant (like Benihana) would fit in well with the Japanese theme, but those can be rather loud. A nice, quiet steakhouse would be nice---like they had originally with the Four Winds.

Eric

Thanks for the inforamtion on the Laughing Dragon and Four Winds. I never realized that they occupied the same location. Here's to hoping that more table service food options are in the future plans.

*COUGH* so how about them roller coasters? *COUGH*

That's kind of the problem: There's no new info right now. It's the lull before the storm if you will.

So, in lieu of actual information, new topics to discuss, or anything particularly constructive how about we do the next best thing: WILD SPECULATION!

There is not that much time before X2 is opened to the public. With that kind of time left, what do you think they will add to it that hasn't been announced? What do you guess are these 'visual, audio and sensory effects' we've heard promised? How do you think the place will be re-themed (if at all). Tim mentioned that they got some loading ideas from the folks in Japan... that they can't use all of them because they can't reconstruct the station from scratch, but that some things may be adapted for use. What do you think they will change in the station?

Look, there's not a lot that is concrete to talk about just now, so lets see how creative we can be instead.

(Thats what I am wondering to. On the website it says visual and audio effects. If the tunnel has been axed then what is going to be the visual effects? And what is going to be the audio effects

As much as I love the music idea on X2 (or any coaster for that matter) I fear the loud techno-like music might not work out due to sound complaints. Magic Mountain is open up to midnight during some summer evenings which would prevent the music from playing the last few hours of operation.

Here's a question I haven't yet seen asked. Will the X2 queue also close an hour early like X did? Or?

I think it would be a good idea to put a sit down real restaurant in the park.

Even better put it somewhere in the middle with a nice view.

If it wasn't so unfeasible could you imagine putting it on top of the skytower... (the museum is an awesome idea and I know this will never happen but how awesome would that be if there was a very nice restaurant at the top of skytower, with good food and beautiful views. I could see there being issues with having a kitchen that high off the ground for fire issues and what not but ... ya)

Anyway maybe even take a page from disney and make a restaurant or a section of a restaurant specific to season pass holders. Make the food affordable priced like a real restaurant with food and service comparable.

If the food was good enough and unique enough and the view and atmosphere was right I could see it significantly increasing season ticket sales. There are a lot of good food options around six flags but I think if you had a restaurant with every seat having a good view and maybe even direct access from outside the park ... I could see it being a very cool thing.

I think it would be a good idea to put a sit down real restaurant in the park.

Even better put it somewhere in the middle with a nice view.

If it wasn't so unfeasible could you imagine putting it on top of the skytower...

A proper sit down restaurant is something that Magic Mountain is seriously lacking in. I always thought that putting one in in the Sky Tower would be pretty cool, I know I'd dine there. As it is, I usually go outside of the park for meals. What is that building at the bottom of the Sky Tower? It looks like it used to be some kind of restaurant with all of the tables outside of it. They could try and put some kind of dining up there. If that building isn't used for anything anymore they could turn it into a kitchen and use the second Sky Tower elevator to transport food in like a giant dumbwaiter and setup a some tables on the lower level of the tower. It's unfortunate that the lower level isn't suited to guests being on, but we can dream at least...

Seriously though, does anyone know what that building at the bottom of the Sky Tower is/was?

I've been to magic mountain many times but i've never been up the sky tower. So i've never seen the lower level. What kind of shape is it in? Would it be plausible or even possible to fix it up to the point where either it could be made useable as a dining area or kitchen area? If that was at all possible I would seriously consider doing that and moving the museum to some unused building. Down in Psyclone bay I always thought it looked like there was a ton to do but really everytime i walk from deja to gotham its with one thing in mind going from one to the other if there was a museum in the middle it would provide a nice landmark to stop and see.

(keep in mind i'm not expecting any of this to actually happen)

I don't think that the top of the sky tower is big enough for any major restaurant. They would have to either really cram tables in there, or make it a very high class exclusive place to eat.

Thats kind of what i'm picturing. At least exclusive to season pass holders most likely with reservation.

"What is that building at the bottom of the Sky Tower? It looks like it used to be some kind of restaurant with all of the tables outside of it." (sns2015)

It was a fast food place at one time. I know it was called "Ninja Dogs" during some of its life.

A restaurant in the Sky Tower is a nice idea, but logistically it could be a nightmare. (Think about running plumbing/natural gas for cooking, restrooms, etc.)

My guess is that there are plans for the top of the mountain at some point, but there are other things that have some priority.

Eric

The one thing I will say about Sky Tower having a place to eat is the fact that it was designed with the intent to be a club, so in it's original plans, a restaurant was included...

With that said, I'd be willing to say that there will never be a restaurant in Sky Tower.

I think there are quite a laws in the way of having a restaurant up there, the lack of plumbing and bathrooms being a major one.

As well as the lack of any kind of kitchen services.

You know what would be nice and *maybe* more feasible is some kind of coffee or beverage service, though. Like a slightly more glorified ODV cart or something.

But really I couldn't see them adding anything more to the tower unless the bottom deck could be opened also.

--Robb

There is a problem with the 'top of the hill' is that it's not easy to get to. You take orient or you walk the hill. All that's there is superman, sky tower and ninja, the pizza place that was a steakhouse and stairs to tatsu (for which the entrance is in mining town instead of samurai summit which is cross theming in my opinion)

So you have the empty eagle's flight building with only a bathroom and superman store there. The formerly high class pizza joint, the magic pagoda/willoughby mansion with the snack bar above it and the japanese garden is gone, any real reason to go or stay up there? not really, ride the two coasters and get out. It'll take a ton of work or a transportation ride to get people up there, dragon's gone, eagle's flight gone, metro gone, it's isolated and that's sad. Big waste of space now, could have been made beautiful but like the fountain's waterfall went dry, the gardens were torn out and it's forsaken.

That will probably be outside even their 5 year plan since it's not an obvious moneymaker.

I think there are quite a laws in the way of having a restaurant up there, the lack of plumbing and bathrooms being a major one.

As well as the lack of any kind of kitchen services.

You know what would be nice and *maybe* more feasible is some kind of coffee or beverage service, though. Like a slightly more glorified ODV cart or something.

But really I couldn't see them adding anything more to the tower unless the bottom deck could be opened also.

--Robb

Reminds of of this crazy idea:

Dinner In The Sky

If a company thinks that is feasible, turning a view tower into a diner would be easy!

-GG

Was the lower level of the sky tower ever used? When you go up there you can see there are doors there for the elevator to stop at so it looks like it was designed to have two floors but I have never seen anything there. And, if it did have two floors in the past, what happened to the lower level? A second level could be used for a lot of different things and eating in a restaurant way up there would be really nice...with an incredible view!

^The lower level was used in the earlier years of the park, but because it's open air, people these day's can't be trusted with the possibility of throwing change or other loose articles out of the grates. It's just like upstairs, except gutted down to the bare minimum.

I really think it'd be a great idea to turn the Laughing Dragon restaurant into a sit down dining experience. It would be a great opportunity to "raise the bar" of quality and experience in the park to a level it has not been at in a long time. These types of things keeps guests in the park longer, and dining experiences can be memorable--what better place to create memories than an elegant dinner at Magic Mountain.

Unfortunately, I think it's something beyond the ability of the park right now. There's a lot more that goes into a restaurant than meets the eye, not only to start, but to maintain. I think if the park wants to add another restaurant, it would be in their best interest to make it nicer than Mooseburger--quite simply, offering better food at higher prices.

Again, for the park to maintain this on their own would require a substantial amount of effort and money, something I don't think the park is ready to undertake. But that doesn't mean they can't do it in years to come, and it certainly doesn't mean they can't let an already established restaurant enter the premises to provide their dining experiences alongside Magic Mountain.

Something like Morton's is probably out of the question, but I think if the park decided they wanted to partake in such opportunity, it would be entirely possible and unprecedented at the same time.

Magic Mountain's potential really is endless when it consistently runs like a well maintained machine (which it's doing right now). Which is why I love the park so much. It really is an amazing place.

^ I agree, when I worked at Cedar Point a few years ago, I worked at their Johnny Rockets(don't ask why, long story). The guests LOVED the experience of getting to sit down and order, watch the servers dance, and get to have a conversations with the people that worked at the park. People always have questions for tips on what to do and what not... they don't feel like they can do that talking through a window.

I'm a bit disappointed that Six Flags hasn't cashed in on this Johnny Rockets deal and built some sit down restaurants at the parks. SFMM could really make a killing on another sit down restaurant. I know at CP when a guest came in and heard how long of a wait we had, their second question was always "Do you guys have any other places we could sit down to eat at?" so it's obviously something a guest wants. BUT, The SF focus right now is Add a little, Fix a lot... so we can't ask for too many additions. I'm just happy to see the parks being fixed up to be honest.

Originally, what is now Food, Etc. was the Oasis Cafeteria. They had salads, entrees, desserts, drinks that you picked up as you moved through the line. After paying, you sat down and enjoyed the meal.

Of course, now it's the basic food court. Not a bad thing, but not as nice as Oasis once was. A nice sit down restaurant would be nice, and the former Laughing Dragon location is ideal.

Eric

As an interesting side note (as I'm sure some of you know) the employee cafeteria has retained the Oasis name.

A sit down restaurant would be a nice and very welcome addition to the park. I used to (not sure if it is still the case) always tell people to go to Mooseburger for lunch, because it is the same food as everywhere else in the park, for the same prices, except you get free refills on your drinks.