TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Wow, the park is looking nice. It's real good to see all the new painting that is continuing.

Good tip about the all day lockers vs. the 1 time use lockers at the coasters. The park might even want to think about advertising that difference to the GP.

I'm not overly concerned about the lack of tunnels or missing theme elements on X2. Given where the tunnels were supposed to be, the riders might be too disoriented at the time to appreciate it. The faux tunnel lights and music concept might work better in enclosing the 2nd 1/2 of Scream starting with the helix through to the brakes. Scream could use a little extra visual boost to increase it's popularity.

And to think all these improvements even before the CSI show starts in June!

Come on Jahan, don't blame the loose articles for Tatsu's 'sheer awesome' dispatch times.

I'm fine with the lockers, but other parks do just fine collecting loose articles in the station and dispatching the rides within an acceptable interval!

Busch has used urinal signs for the last few years. At first, they used them to bash Miller brewing; now, they mostly shill Busch products and stress their environmental program. Yes, pretty heady reading material while you're taking a leak.

Thanks for the new look at Thomas Town--it's coming along nicely. I was pretty impressed with my visit to SFMM last January (my first since the 1970s). The park is looking good, and I'm looking forward to visiting again. I had a much better time there than I did at Knott's, that's for sure.

They had the signs over the toilet's at SFOT on my last visit, it at least gives something to look at while you pee...

I was once somewhere around Staples Center in Los Angeles before an LA kings game and the bathroom had little TV's built into the wall in front of the toilet, so you wouldn't miss the game while peeing. I always had this fear of standing there when the Kings score a big goal or something and the person next to me getting a little too excited and spraying everybody... Not sure how that relates to coasters in any way shape or form, I just found it to be an amusing story...

I'm curious to see how many companies pick up on the bathroom advertising system.

Thanks for a great update, Jahan. Everything going on at SFMM makes me glad I continue to get the Xtreme Play Pass because I get to enjoy the park more times!

"Is the Revolution ACE sign out for cleaning? Or did something really bad happen to it?" (Erik Johnson)

It got tagged by some gangbangers. Last Friday when I was there, I came down from the Sky Tower with Dan from here (TATSUFAN) and he mentioned it to Jay and Neal when we ran into them by the upper Orient Express station. They were unaware of it, but promised to look into it. Obviously they have, since the plaque is now missing.

I hadn't been by the plaque, so I wasn't aware of it either. Just before leaving for the day, I took a run over by it and saw the damage. Had I had my camera, I would have taken a picture.

Eric

Great update Jahan! I love all the TLC that's going on at the park. They are making great strides to improve the guest experience. A lot of the improvements are small but they are making a huge difference. They are really turning this park around. Keep up the good work guys!

Nice update. Things are looking real nice I cant wait to see in person.

X2 will be awesome with the new paint job and those bitchin' new trains I think tunnels or no tunnels fire or no fire the ride will be a hit this summer.

I'm one of the "not a big SFMM fan" guys. I've been going every other week and I'll tell you I'm impressed with the park right now. (this coming from a guy who for years hated SFMM) The main thing is it's a hell of a lot cleaner. I feel if you really try and really care people notice. They have done a good job there. My kids and I still love to count strollers. On March 8th we were there for 7hrs and saw 6 strollers. I know that's something they want to change but sometimes it's a tougher crowd and parents don't want their kids in that environment. Many times I have to pull my kids out of line because of rude (young adults) kids. I wish when people are yelling and cursing up a storm they would be removed from the park. I know it's a tough thing to do but I think it would be a good thing.

Great update Jahan. Thanks

Or simply don’t bring large and excessive bags to a theme park!

Says the man that always brings a backpack to Disneyland...

The main difference there is that you can bring a backpack on pretty much every ride there... maybe even every ride at Disneyland and DCA (not sure about Screamin', but you're allowed to on RnRc, so maybe). It's always been my stand that the people who bring giant bags filled with crap to parks can leave 90% of what is in that backpack, in the car.

One of the TPR members who works for SFMM and I talked about the locker policy in the chat and he said if I wanted the SF management to hear my concerns about the locker policy I should voice it here.

Hopefully SF will read this because honestly, I don't see how forcing a patron with belongings to pay a fee to store their belongings is a good business practice. I could see that as almost hurting the customer. If you got a family and every time they go ride a ride with a locker, that's a $1 each time out of their pocket. A lot of people are on a fixed income and I can see that the family may not return again because they're required to store their belongings every time they want to ride a major ride.

Now first off, I do see where SF is coming from by putting in a mandatory locker policy. It's so that patrons will not have their belongings stolen and thus reducing the number of complaints about stolen articles and trying to hold the park responsible.

What I've been told, the fee is there of course to offset the cost of running and maintainance. i can see that, but why not obtain the cost from somewhere else? I'd prefer a dollar increase to ticket sales than being required to pay a dollar every time I store my backpack in a locker for Superman: Ride of Steel. At least with that, they could still keep personal belongings secure by using the same system, just eliminating the cost. I see this as responsible since someone who is unfamiliar with the park, would expect the ticket cost compared to visiting a SF park for the first time, then being caught off guard by being required to pay to store their belongings. That patron may not want to visit a SF park anymore and thus go to another park where they don't require patrons to pay to store their belongings.

overall, I don't believe it's a good business practice to nickel and dime a customer like that, I can see that as being a lash back in loosing future business with that customer. Good Business practice always states that it's best to have a customer leave with a good experience and they'll tell 5 friends about it and so forth...compared to having a customer leave with a bad experience and they'll tell 10 friends about their bad experience.

I could have sworn that Revolution train is always sitting on the storage tracks.

I doubt it's always the same one. Revolution has quite a few trains, and only ever 1 or 2 are running at a time. I've seen two running before with a third in pieces, looking really dirty and old, but that was a summer or two ago.

Really great to see Thomas Town finally progressing, and quickly! It'll be great for families to watch their kids enjoy themselves, and still have that amazing view of Goliath there. I think it'll also open up that area more and make it busier. To me, personally, it never seemed like a busy area of the park.

As much as I'd like to see more done to X2, the current progress is a good enough step, I suppose, It'd just be a shame to let what was supposed to be a 10 million dollar upgrade get cut short. I guess what I'm saying is that as long as SOMETHING is still done with the money saved for X2, it'll be a greater experience...and I too thought both the logo and what a few people had said indicated some type of "fire" use.

^^

I really don't think that having to pay an extra maybe $5 a day is going to deter a guest from visiting the park again. If anything, it'll make them rethink what they need to bring with them into the park the next time they visit.

With lockers, they really do save time in loading rides. Trust me, I've been operating the things for four years. The thing is, it needs to be done right. If the operator at the entrance to the coaster misses just one article, there is going to be a big problem once they get to the platform.