TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Here a small clip of Flash Back, from a video called "Here Comes A Roller Coaster". It has some pretty good shots, and its amazing how blue the ride is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1hGkpf1SnI

OMG thank you for bringing back memories from when I was little. I used to rent this video from my library all the time.

It is amazing how the colors have faded on Flashback so much over the years.

All I said was that when you have a family it is not as easy to not end up with stuff. When just my 10 yr old and I go we normally don't have extra items. All my point was it is a little rediculas if my daughter has her drink cup to have to pay a buck every time we are at a ride and that I think on busy days the lockers will end up all full. The more I have thought about it I am not that upset with it I just am tired of getting nickeled to death. Our favorite thing in the world is to make the 5 hour drive down there about 6 times a year. What is really sad is that I used to respect all of you. I read the posts every day. The way all of you start saying that I should leave my brats at home? That I should stay in Thomas Town? My five year old is 45 inches and there are a lot of big rides that we like to ride as a family such as Ninja. Robb is right that the whole argument is silly. Maybe my "brats" as you guys called them and I should just not read this site anymore.

What is really sad is that I used to respect all of you. I read the posts every day. The way all of you start saying that I should leave my brats at home?

HEY! Just because one or two people have commented towards you it's really unfair to say that "all of you" are saying that you should leave your "brats" at home.

I don't recall *ME* saying that, so please don't lump me into "all of you" or say that you don't have respect for the site because one or two people made a comment that you didn't agree with.

Thanks.

--Robb

What has happened in our society we have amalgamated what is right for kids with what is right for children. If u need baby bottles and diapers and u have all of this stuff, then u should be in an area that is little children friendly, but if ur daughter has a cup and she is in line for a coaster that has a high capacity, then u tell her she has to throw it away and she can't bring certain things with her in line. I havent read anywhere, that the other rides have this rule. It is only the major coaster with high volume who have this rule, so I still stand with my original statement, if u have small children where you need a lot of stuff that is gonna hold up the line because you have to go over to the other side and put stuff in bins and get caught up in the hustle and hold up my time at the park then stay off of certain rides with this rule. I was at Universal Studios a couple of years ago and no park like SF has the crowd that they do and the lines moved continously and when I got to the loading station they were telling people to step quickly to the otherside and sit down. This was on Jurassic Park and the line was so long that I got on in 1 hr but if it were a coaster at SF then the same amount of people would have taken twice as long because people with all this stuff have to walk through the train and secure their items. there is no reason why a train cant almost be ready dispatch by the time the other train has reached the top of the lift. I have seen it done at Cedar Point.

Here's my take on it..not directed at anyone in particular so I hope no one's offended...

If my kid wanted the drink cup, but I didn't want to pay the $1 locker fee each & every ride, I'd explain that to my kid, and assure him/her that if I'd get one for them on our way out of the park. If that wasn't a good enough deal, then they probably don't want that souvenir cup as much as they think they do at that particular moment.

I remember countless times at Magic Mountain when I was younger, I'd ask my parents for this or that, and the answer was no because they didn't want to have to carry it around all day. If I put up a fuss, we'd be headed right out the exit and I still wouldn't have whatever I wanted to have.

The parks set systems up like the $1 lockers ultimately to solve the problem of loose articles in a practical way, but its ultimately we the consumer who choose to accept their offering. If going to a park with little ones means a stressful time dragging a bunch of stuff around for them, and using $1 lockers that are undesireable to use, then perhaps going to the park isn't the best thing to do. If the lockers cause that much stress, then the best way to save stress here is to either figure out a way that works without having to use the lockers, or just not go IMO.

This is what I would suggest to anyone who feels inconvenienced by the $1 lockers. I say kudos to the park for at least trying to accomodate people as best they can, keeping their stuff safe as best they can, when they could just deny loose articles of any sort.

That being said, I wish SFMM would at the same time, have some sort of an alternate "no need to use a locker line" so people who don't need to use the lockers don't need to wait for those who do. Similar idea to the 'guests without bags' line at WDW bag check areas. Not sure if it's possible or what, but it would be nice.

-- PMM

What is really sad is that I used to respect all of you. I read the posts every day. The way all of you start saying that I should leave my brats at home? That I should stay in Thomas Town? My five year old is 45 inches and there are a lot of big rides that we like to ride as a family such as Ninja. Robb is right that the whole argument is silly. Maybe my "brats" as you guys called them and I should just not read this site anymore.

I think a portion of this was directed at my post, to which I'll say I WAS BEING SARCASTIC. I was responding in jest to almightyfire's comment that adults should leave their kids at home if they want to ride coasters.

I merged the Psyclone/Flashback thread into the SFMM update thread since it turned into discussions about SFMM's current state anyway.

--Robb

Phew, so I'm not just crazy when I though the topic jumped 50+ pages in less than 2 hours.

Anyways. Every point has basically been touched upon as far as lockers. I think the final result. It's a good thing. We may be so used to SFMM's old way of doing things, that the new and improved and beneficial new ideas for the park isn't our regular cup of tea. It's all for a better reputation in the long run. Maybe over time, prices and lengths may get better, but this is what has to happen now, and it's happening, so we better get used to it.

After watching X go through it's circuit twice during WCB, and seeing the seats rock back and forth throughout the ride, I'm not going to be expecting a smooth ride when it reopens. It was even said that the new trains most likely wont assure a smooth ride, just make the ride more reliable and consistent. In addition, did anyone notice how freely some of the wheels kept spinning when the train came to a stop in the station?

Remember guys, I believe that the X bogies are currently very loose, in which case the seats are going to rock back and forth more so than they would during normal operation. Naturally the seats are also going to rock even more when the seats are empty.

-Mike

I don't understand something..if the seats are rocking because something hasn't been tightened yet, why would they rock even more if they were empty? Wouldn't it be the other way around because of the added weight of bodies in the seats?

^ I think how I interpreted Tim's comment about the extra weight was that the trains are so heavy as it is, that adding the 175 pounds per seat doesn't really buy you much.

It's like saying "You're 30,000 feet in the air doesn't feel much different from being 30,175 feet in the air."

--Robb

You also have to remember that the old trains were very jerky as well, i saw the old trains make some runs on the track a few days ago and realized that the rotations on the old trains were just as bad, and you have to remember that the new trains need some tweaking done to them im sure (not 100% positive though). Plus the "jerkyness" of the rotations may not even have anything to do with the trains, remember that the rotations are controlled through the extra set of rails on the track and if those arent smooth well then your rotations wont be smooth. the biggest difference in ride quality will be less vibration in the entire train from the way it sounds, and that should cut down in the vibrations in the seats naturaly.

While we were standing in that area watching the new trains cycle, I noticed the jerky motions in the seats, but remembered that Tim Burkhart said something about having to tighten everything at some point. So, I figured that things were still a bit loose at that time.

I believe (and I'm hoping) that the extra weight in the seats will dampen the jerkiness. The entire 4-D concept is great, but if I'm going to get bashed all over, then I'll stay off of this ride.

Eric

From what Tim said I would not expect a better ride from the new trains. It sounds like that wasn't the plan, even more so they didn't even have that in mind. It sounds like the main reason for the upgrade is easier maintenence, and less wear and tear over the long run. Hopefully they will run about as well as they did right before they closed the ride for the rehab, because it was running pretty well then.

Watching the trains cycle on Sunday basically proves the point. Yes there are probably many parts of the train that have to be "tightened" or "double checked" but that doesn't necessarily mean its going to stop the back and forth swaying we all saw happen at the break run after the last turnover. Adding riders might help dampen the sway, but it most likely will not be substantial amount.

Kind of a bummer actually, but hopefully like Tim said, the intended improvements will in a way spill over to making the ride experience better overall.

Not that it would reduce or prevent the rocking of seats, but I wonder how X2 would have turned out had the track been a couple or three feet wider than standard Arrow track gauge (four feet, I think). I do know that B&M went to wider track on their Dive Coaster; I feel that Arrow should have done the same.

Unless, of course, they did, and it's an optical illusion that it isn't wider.

Eric

Not that it would reduce or prevent the rocking of seats, but I wonder how X2 would have turned out had the track been a couple or three feet wider than standard Arrow track gauge (four feet, I think). I do know that B&M went to wider track on their Dive Coaster; I feel that Arrow should have done the same.

Unless, of course, they did, and it's an optical illusion that it isn't wider.

Eric

The track does look wider... At least than Viper next to it... Unless it's caused by having an outer rail to it.

I think the main problem, obviously, lies in the seat positioning. You have them out there flailing, there's going to be a good amount of, well, flail, since there's no track beneath to stabilize it.

Thank you so much for all the fantastic comments regarding WCB. The entire TEAM here at SFMM & HH are very excited about the 2008 season. I really appreciate ALL the comments I received at the Q&A session, as well as, the comments shared with many of you throughout the day.

We realize we are not even close to perfect… however our goal is to be the absolute best we can be! We will accomplish this by listening to our employees, our guests, our enthusiast, and even our critics. With the implementation of the IBU, we will restore OUR PARK to GREATNESS!

I look forward to seeing each of you again in THE PARK!

Jay

Jay Thomas

Park President

Six Flags Magic Mountain &

Hurricane Harbor

Come on Robb… Manny?

^ Jay...can I thank you for being you? I've never known anyone who's as determined to make Magic Mountain, our park, great as much as you are. As a Valencia local, that means a lot, so thank you.

It was wonderful meeting you and conversing with you at WCB. Hope to see you around more & hope to share with you many tales of greatness improved from our beloved SFMM.

-- PMM