TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Before I go off track, let me just say it sucks that they're just demolishing Flashback, I would have liked to ridden it. And I never paid much attention to the whole closing of it. Why did they do it? Just lack of popularity? But now...

Okay, let's put this to rest. It is GO FOR A RIDE! (©1988 )

FEATURING:

COLOSSUS

VORTEX

SHOCKWAVE

XLR-8

TEXAS CYCLONE

RACER

BIG BAD WOLF

LOCH NESS MONSTER

TWISTER

REVOLUTION

AND MORE!

I distinctly remember the line (describing XLR-8 ) "50 feet per second! That feels like flying to me!"

Okay, I have that EXACT movie, with all the coasters, the child molestory ice cream man, the dorky kid, the "50 feet per second..." There's the part where he pulls out an astronaut helmet for the kid to ride vortex. But it's in a green case with Loch Ness Monster on the front, and it's called Roller Coaster Thrills. So it went under two names and had different cases apparently. The copyright is 1988.

535206029_new018(Medium).thumb.jpg.7c2d0c9eb6c7663ef14992b03949b8c5.jpg

1355388286_new017(Medium).jpg.b0b2cd0b8680f525b554a01137c71994.jpg

374792460_new016(Medium).jpg.f781ca1c3aa49a20f23207c6af1f2d5d.jpg

Thats the copy I had too..Roller Coaster Thrills.

It was made by Kodak.. and has an advert for other Kodak videos on the tape.

I loved it for the random "fantasy" coaster they put together at the end.

And I remember HATING the way the ice Cream Guy said "Corkscrews".

Yuk.

I'm not sure if maybe it could have gone under a different name, but the video is called "Go For A Ride." We even showed it during the Tatsu Media Day Camp Out!

I always thought the ice cream guy looked like a child molester.

--Robb

Oh God I remember watching it that night. It had some pretty cool old footage that made it interesting looking at now aged coasters when they were new.

But the molester ice cream guy, along with the rest of the acting in it made me cringe.

Hi TPR members

Well I think it's about time to OUT Robb Alvey, and to tell you all about his secret shame. Cover your eyes Elissa and KidTums - but Robb borrowed the "Go For A Ride" VHS from The Roller Coaster Media Library in 2005!

Sorry Robb, that needed saying! Don't live in denial

Simon Baynham

Thank you Odene497! I've tried to upload my copy to show the cover on mine but it wouldn't go thru so you did it for me, lol. Thanx! That's the one I have w/just one difference. The tape itself doesn't have a sticker label on it, the words are actually printed ON the tape & says a bit more but it's still the same video. I wish my photo wud upload but I've tried like 5 or 6 times w/no result.

gr8LaBoy, mine doesn't have any other adverts on it so there must be three! lol In conclusion, we're all correct, it's the same movie either way.

Flashback originally opened in 1985 at Six Flags Great America as "Z-Force". While it was there (1985-1987) it was one of my favorite coasters, full of surprises and never disappointing. My favorite thing about it was the phenomenal upward helix at the end of the ride. I also got to ride it at Six Flags Over Georgia in 1990, and felt it had lost nothing. But, when riding it in 1998 at Magic Mountain, it had fallen into a sad state of disrepair. It was so rough it bore no resemblance to its original incarnation. If Magic Mountain had no intention of keeping the ride running well, then it is a good thing it is being dismantled. But, I cannot help but think that if it had found its way back to Gurnee, IL, we could have restored it and kept a totally unique attraction.

Amen.

Rest In Pieces, Z-Force. I miss you.

Awww my ickle Flashback is gone !!

Being from the UK I have been Lucky enough to have ridden this a few times (and yes I did say LUCKY)

I thought it was a great little coaster so I'm sad that it's been allowed to rust and finally be ripped to bits !

It's a little piece of coaster history so we should all have a 2 second silence for it !! starting...... NOW...

Gone but not forgotten !!

^^^^^How did you get those files to load up so large? When I loaded mine up and they were that big they said "file size too big." So I had to shrink them to the size they're at now.

*Sigh* Bye bye Flashback... Looks like I'm the only one who cared...

No way, I did too. I liked it because of how unique it was. That's why I took pictures.

Revolution is just bad because it has excessive restraints and trim brakes. There was a time in the early to mid 90s when it was predicted that Revolution would outlive Viper. Hard to say now. Colossus hasn't gotten so rough that it's unridable, but it's still a shadow of it's former self. I doubt it will ever get a serious refurb.

I wanted to ride it as it was the only credit I did not have and the last 3 years I visited I was hoping to get on it, impossible now. Eventhough it sounded like it was absolutely horrible I still wanted to try it. But its good they are removing it instead of letting it sit there forever. Now I would like to see Revolution get some tlc and remove the otsr...at least finish painting the rest of, always thought it was kind of stupid the way they half-ass painted it. If you are going to paint something do the whole thing, especially what we can see.

Revolution is just bad because it has excessive restraints and trim brakes. There was a time in the early to mid 90s when it was predicted that Revolution would outlive Viper. Hard to say now. Colossus hasn't gotten so rough that it's unridable, but it's still a shadow of it's former self. I doubt it will ever get a serious refurb.

Revolution has always had those trim brakes. They were used as block brakes, since the ride used to run 4 or 5 trains.