TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Apparently, SFMM still isn't doing business with Intamin for whatever reason.

Eric

I can think of a reason they dont want to work with Intamin, it talkes up about three words: Superman the Escape

Also, I dont think anything major is going into the place where Psyclone was. Wasnt there some foundation problem thingy going on with that area?

It's a shame, I used to think the Deja Vu's looked like such cool rides.

But I guess if after all these years they still haven't made them reliable, they should just give up.

I don't get this, what's not reliable about Deja Vu? I know the Georgia one is a nightmare, but as far as the one at MM, its running perfectly fine.

And I don't get why people want it removed, theres only 3 of them in the world, and its not like the rides lame. It's intense, unique, and the general public loves it.

I think enthusiasts are the only one asking to get rid of this one.

^^Goliath and Riddlers sure. But I don't know about Viper. Even on some of the busiest days I've seen Viper is ussually walk-on these days.

Don't confuse walk ons with low popularity. Its going to take X a LOT longer to cycle through 100 guests than it will Viper. Simply due to the ride design, and how much longer it takes to load and unload.

Just last night I was subbing at Viper last night, and I was amazed by the amount of people that per hour got pushed through the ride with two trains. Mind you, it was a walk on and I'm not sure if we ever sent a full train.

_six

Ya, a lot of people assume longer lines always means a more popular ride. Hardly the case sometimes...

As for Viper being one of the more popular rides, I wouldn't go as far to say that. It's definitely not one of the least popular, but not one of the top 3 either.

From what I've seen and heard, Goliath, Tatsu, and Batman are usually the most popular with guests at the park. But I guess it varies.

I can bet you SFMM won't be going anywhere. They know it will disappoint too many people including me since SFMM has many top roller coasters which most are the most thrilling of their kind & they are GIGANTIC! Plus it says over on Screamscape that Superman & Batman are getting new paint & SFMM is getting a Tony Hawk like SFDK (I think, but why would Six Flags put 2 Tony Hawks in 1 state?) PLUS SFMM is one of the top Six Flags parks & I read awhile ago that it got saved by the city.

I can bet you SFMM won't be going anywhere. They know it will disappoint too many people including me since SFMM has many top roller coasters which most are the most thrilling of their kind & they are GIGANTIC! Plus it says over on Screamscape that Superman & Batman are getting new paint & SFMM is getting a Tony Hawk like SFDK (I think, but why would Six Flags put 2 Tony Hawks in 1 state?) PLUS SFMM is one of the top Six Flags parks & I read awhile ago that it got saved by the city.

They're putting two in Texas. There is one at SFFT, which opened this year, and SFOT is getng one next year. SFMM is also farhter away from SFDK (distance wise) than SFOT is to SFFT.

^And it really sucks that it is being torned down because i'm going to be in atlanta for a week visiting my cousins next year, and of course, i'm going to Sfog and this was one of the roller coasters i was looking forward to going on, since i haven't been on a giant inverted boomerang before. Oh well, their's always goliath.

Back on-topic. Whatever magic mountain does, from the reviews i've read, they need to clean up some existing areas before they add any big sized attraction. They'll probably add a bunch of family rides before they add any thrill ride, although, when Sfgadv added El-Toro it was meant for both thrills and families. So maybe SFMM will add a coaster like that and my bets are on a dark-knight wild mouse coaster or a THBS (Tony Hawk's Big Spin) to come into the park.

I don't see a Thomas land OR Tony Hawk ride being installed at SFMM because it just wouldn't look right in the park. Both of those attractions look like cheap solutions to "family" theming, something that wouldn't last for more than 2 years at Magic Mountain.

Maybe nothing will happen in 2008 while the new GM gets his feet on the ground. i don't have a problem with that.

Press Release via PRNewswire --

Six Flags Announces Historic Capital Expansion Plan for 2008 Season

-New Roller Coasters, Special Events and Family Entertainment Headline 2008

Lineup-

NEW YORK, Oct. 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Reinforcing the company's

position as the premier family entertainment destination, Six Flags, Inc.

(NYSE: SIX) announced today a sweeping capital expansion plan for the 2008 operating season, one of the largest capital investments in the company's 47-year history.

As part of the company-wide program, Six Flags parks will introduce new

thrill and family rides -- featuring the industry's most innovative and

exciting attractions -- as well as new special events to offer guests of

all ages world class entertainment and more reasons to make Six Flags part of their vacation or day trip plans.

"In 2006 our capital efforts were focused on cleaning up the parks --

improving guest service and restoring the image of the Six Flags brand,"

said Mark Shapiro, Six Flags President and CEO. "Last season we made great strides in balancing the parks' rides and attractions by adding family

offerings like Wiggles World and Thomas Town. In 2008, we round out the revitalization of the company with the unprecedented introduction of seven coasters and new thrill attractions that will equally appeal to teens and families."

Highlights of the new Six Flags 2008 lineup include:

The Dark Knight Coaster at Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags Great

America and Six Flags New England. Based on Warner Bros. Pictures' upcoming movie "The Dark Knight," this indoor dark coaster features DC Comics' characters Batman and The Joker. The Dark Knight Coaster will transform guests into citizens of Gotham City, where they find themselves caught in the middle of a city under siege and torn apart by The Joker. Venturing through demented hallways of twists, turns and hallucinatory images, riders speed through six 180-degree hairpin turns, climb unseen hills, plunge into pitch darkness and dip into unforeseen danger.

The Evel Knievel Wooden Roller Coaster at Six Flags St. Louis. A

daredevil's dream, Evel Knievel boasts a 2,700 ft. track with an 80 ft.

first drop, answered with a 55 ft. double down drop. The ultimate thrill

seeker himself, Knievel said of the partnership: "I've been thrilling

people all my life with death defying stunts. What better way to create a

new generation of Evel Knievel fans than by partnering with Six Flags for

this exciting attraction." In addition, the queue line will feature rare

video footage of many of Knievel's record-setting moments and breath-taking

crashes.

Tony Hawk's Big Spin at Six Flags Over Texas and Six Flags Discovery

Kingdom. A proven winner with teens and families, this unique spinning

coaster gives riders the opportunity to defy gravity just like the

skateboarding legend himself. With random and unpredictable twists and

spins at each dip and turn, this coaster offers a unique ride experience

every time.

Goliath -- The Ultimate Inverted Coaster at Six Flags Fiesta Texas.

Adding a powerful new dimension of thrill technology to an already

impressive coaster line-up, Goliath will feature a unique radiating blue

steel track and high-speed yellow, blue and orange trains that suspend

riders from the coaster track. Once aboard the suspended 28-passenger

trains, the bottom drops out from beneath the riders and they soar out of

the station four abreast to experience spine-tingling gravitational forces

and the sensation of racing at 50 mph with nothing beneath their feet but

earth and sky.

The Wiggles World at Six Flags Great Escape. A huge success in 2007,

Wiggles World is designed to leverage The Wiggles' world-wide recognition

and status among children ages 2-6, featuring rides, shows and attractions

the entire family can enjoy. The new children's area will include

specially- themed Wiggles rides, including The Big Red Car and The Big Red Plane rides, as well as a new retail location and a Yummy Yummy Cafe. In addition, The Wiggles are scheduled to appear at the park on a

to-be-announced date in 2008. The Great Escape also will debut a thrilling

new waterslide, Wild Wedgie, in its Splashwater Kingdom water park.

Thomas the Tank Engine at Six Flags Over Georgia and Six Flags

Magic Mountain. Another hit from 2007, this attraction entertains children of all ages, offering families a train ride through Thomas' mythical home on the Island of Sodor, Thomas-themed play areas, and appearances by Sir Topham Hatt, Controller of the Railway, who will pose for photos and greet visitors. A Thomas & Friends store located within the areas will feature an assortment of merchandise.

Glow in the Park Parade at Six Flags Great Adventure and Six Flags Mexico. Six Flags is taking the parade concept to a new level as drummers, puppeteers, singers, dancers and kinetic stilt walkers bring the park streets to life with an unparalleled nighttime fantasyland of sound, light and motion. Glow in the Park features the latest parade technology, state-of-the-art floats and special effects with thousands of sparkling lights adorning every element of this uniquely themed parade.

Hello, i'm new! Deja Vu is going to be removed, and Thomas Town is going where Deja Vu was (this may not be true). But I don't understand, why don't they just put Thomas Town at American Adventures, a park geared towards young children? Does anybody agree? I and im going next week and I hope Deja Vu is open! I think its leaving because Sharpio wants to eliminate all coasters that are too costly to maintain.

Hello, i'm new! Deja Vu is going to be removed, and Thomas Town is going where Deja Vu was (this may not be true). But I don't understand, why don't they just put Thomas Town at American Adventures, a park geared towards young children? Does anybody agree? I and im going next week and I hope Deja Vu is open! I think its leaving because Sharpio wants to eliminate all coasters that are too costly to maintain.

This is the topic for SFMM's Thomas Town. The SFOG topic is somewhere else.

Also, I heard speculation that the area would go in place of Psyclone.

The more likely location is by the petting zoo and replacement of Granny Gran Prix, as first mentioned by arrowfanman, on page 178 of the SFMM thread on page 3. There are even pictures of the site where the attraction will end up. Great location, creates 2nd themed "land" for the kids.

The worst time of the year for Magic Mountain locals/fans.

Where so many new and upcoming things are happening and there isn't a single CLUE as to when and if they are going to happen! So many unanswered questions such as...

When exactly Flashback will be taken out.

When exactly Metro will be fixed or taken out.

When exactly X's trains will be delivered and the details of this big change.

If X's station will be reconfigured/redesigned for the new vehicles.

Whether Thomas Town will go into Psyclone's old spot or the rumored Granny Gran Prix/Petting Zoo area.

And if Thomas Town goes into the Granny Gran Prix/Petting Zoo area, what will go into Psyclone's old spot?

What could possibly replace Flashback.

Whether or not Deja Vu be removed like Over Georgia's Deja Vu.

Whether or not Tidal Wave will be rethemed to Aquaman like Six Flags Over Texas' Tidal Wave.

Is Freefall going to operate into the 2008 season or will it be removed like SFOT, SFNJ, SFOG's freefalls.

A lot of us agree that it would be a good idea to split the kids areas. One Bugs Bunny Land, and the Thomas Town over in the Psyclone area. But from everything I've seen and heard, Thomas Town is going in where Granny Grand Prix, the Petting Zoo, and Goliath Jr. are.

As much as I hate Fuji Q, if SFMM can make their Thomas Town look 1/4 as good as the Fuji Q one it will be a great success.

Elissa "Hoping for my Thomas Dark Ride!" Alvey

^ Elissa, how would you personally compare the Fuji-Q Thomas area to the ones that are already at some of the other Six Flags parks? I've heard before that the Japanese one is pretty well excuted, but haven't had the chance to see any of the American versions first hand.

I really hope SFMM takes the time to do this area carefully and not half-ass it. It's one thing to half-ass a coaster but another to do it to an area that's meant to immerse kids in a fantasy-like environment.

From what I read in the press release, the SFOG and SFMM Thomas Towns will only have the train, a meet and greet spot, and a merchandise store. It doesn't mention any other rides like the Harold the Helicopter or Bertie the Bus that the SFNE area has.