TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

SFMM has some cool coasters. They just need to learn how to run the park better. The best-run coaster there seemed to be Riddler's Revenge. OK, all ride ops go learn some lessons from the Riddler's Revenge group!

I wonder what will go where Psyclone was. The last I checked it was still a big patch of dirt.

Instead of a new coaster, I'd much rather SFMM focus on improving the overall park over the next few years, even if it means shedding off a few more coasters. The Busch parks are great examples of how to do a quality regional park with big thrill rides. With the multi-millions SF would spend for a new coaster, they could easily retheme or enhance existing areas around SFMM to be more heavily themed like BGE. Already sorta has an international theme, just need to plus and expand what's already there.

Not all at once, but over a few years the new themed areas could include new themed flats and family rides, new quality dinning options, more landscaping, etc. People think the only way SFMM can compete in the SoCal market is to keep adding coasters and continue as just a thrill ride park. But just imagine if a BGE-level park was in Valencia, it would totally own USH and the mess CF has made of KBF, and even give The Mouse a run for their money for the local family market.

Very honestly---and it may be a longshot, but---I think SFMM's next major coaster may well be wood. Psyclone is gone (thankfully) and Colossus...well...the old gray ride, she ain't what she used to be. Other Six Flags parks have two woodies (SFStL is getting a third one), so why not a new second one for SFMM?

I was thinking the same thing after I saw the announcement for the Evil Knievel wood coaster they're installing at SFStL. SF already is spending money on wood coasters, and it would fit perfectly in the layout where Psyclone once was. But of course being at MM it'd have to be BIGGER and BETTER. Although I don't know how long they could keep it running like new with the understaffed maintenence crew and all.

Why is everybody thinking Deja Vu is going to be removed? Besides yearly rehabs the thing is like, never closed anymore...

Yeah, family friendly is the way to go, but so far in MM case, it's been an empty promise made in 2006. Ironically, at media day for Tatsu Shapiro announced the new direction for SFMM. Since then, the park hasn't created any new attraction that indicates they are moving in that direction. Couldn't even score a kid's playground like SFGADV's!

They did create more expensive eating options, like using the characters for meet and greets and things like Justic League Feast (which isn't advertised in print or tv commercials), Cold Stone and Johnny Rockets. But that's kind of like putting the cart before the horse when trying to bring in a new audience. A family walking around the park in 2008 will only see the same attractions as 2006, higher prices, and badly placed ads.

Unlike their coasters, which retain popularity to a degree as the years go on, their family side isn't anything unique enough to stand on it's own as a draw. Many family attractions are inexpensive to boot, so the complete absence of anything is a poor decision.

Maybe in an isolated market that wouldn't be bad, but when Disney and Universal are the competition, both with new family attractions hitting in 2008, MM can't just completely stand idle without something new.

Imo, what happened is that any money made by MM since Tatsu in 2006 was allocated throughout the chain, which leads to our now record possible 3 yr. dry spell. While it's important to build up the smaller parks, letting their #2 park go too long with nothing is terrible business planning.

If anything, the lack of any clear direction could hurt the park as people see attractions leaving and not being replaced. They even had to run a commercial this last summer reminding people that the park was not closed! Shapiro really damaged the park for even mentioning that at one time it was up for sale. That perception still persists. Lack of investment into the park, that is, an attraction that can be marketed, only reinforces that idea.

My hope is that they are examing the unique market conditions of SFMM and will installl those attractions that will make them stand out.

I heard from the dippin dots guy that Cedar Fair is going to purchase the Mountain and relocate everything but Hurricane Harbour to Knotts. The water park is the only part of the park that the locals like anyway.

Ron "Mountainside condos anyone?" Patton

I hope they don't remove Deja Vu. It's one of those rides that always has a line. (Meaning it's either popular or it has horrible capacity... )

I do think that they will announce at least something for Magic Mountain, even if it is only a refurb of the trams... It would really hurt them not to announce anything because that's what drives their attendance, and no amount of wishing is going to change that soon.

As for Magic Mountain trying to be more family oriented, I don't see that happening anytime soon. Think about it, even if they do put in a Tomas Town, what family with a few little kids is going to go to Magic Mountain? The admission alone is only a little cheaper than Disneyland... I don't think that adding another kiddie land will help them much. Granted, it might help a little, but not much.

I think a better draw would be to just use the money to spruce up the park... (Although the downside is that it's not marketable)

One question, what happened to those millions that were supposed to have gone to Magic Mountain for improvements? The X trains couldn't have cost that much...

I hope they don't remove Deja Vu. It's one of those rides that always has a line. (Meaning it's either popular or it has horrible capacity... )

Horrible Capacity!

If I were you, just to be safe, I would ride Deja Vu next time you are at the park. IMO, I feel the rides days are numbered. This is not based on anything I've heard from anyone, just a gut feeling.

BTW, I was at the park today and stopped by Flags at the front of the park and bought a Deja VU magnet. The price on the item said $3.99 and it rung up at $1. The lady behind the counter said "All of our Deja Vu items have been marked down."

Now that doesn't mean ANYTHING, but I thought it was a funny coincidence!

--Robb

As much as I love Deja Vu and sometimes like X (that ride is just too unpredictable and moody), I really think it would be in the best interest to remove them too.

For a park as big as Magic Mountain that draws relatively large crowds during its peak season -- and is known for poor operations, low capacity rides like Deja Vu and X just don't make sense being there.

If the new trains for X and the rumored redesign of the loading area finally bumps up capacity, I can see it working out, but Deja Vu will always have that poor PPH. So I say get it out of there.

It's for these reasons I hope Magic Mountain doesn't get one of these Tony Hawk or Dark Knight coasters. The capacity is almost just as bad! I'm sure there's some sort of family-coaster alternative that will suit this park's crowds.

I was at the park yesterday and the line for Deja Vu was REALLY short. Then again, it was threatening rain all day, so it wasn't all too crowded in the park. Anyways, that really means nothing, but... I happen to like Deja Vu and I hope they don't get rid of it.

Oh, and on a side note, we got there at opening, and X, Tatsu, Revolution, and Viper were all shut down.... we were in the gates at 10:30 and I don't think we got on Tatsu until, oh, 11:45 or something. What the fudge? For the first hour and 45 minutes, all we saw were people walking around, heads darting around looking for open rides.

Back on topic.... I've seen several people say now in this thread that "they should put (name this coaster type) in Psyclone's spot." Didn't they say already that we weren't going to get any new coasters for a few years? As much as I would like a new woodie too, I don't think they're going to put a coaster up in the near future.

Just my two cents.

Maybe something new is going into Psyclone's place and Deja Vu is getting re-themed/re-named to match the new area? That could explain why merchandise has been marked down....

I remember some have felt that when Flashback is removed they may expand HH, or maybe make it a one gate park.

My guess is the 2008 passes will be made available after the announcement of next years addition(s).