TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Small Fright Fest Update for 2007:

On the "hold" music for the park, the voice says that Heckles and Twitch are the mascots of Fright Fest.

This will be a smaller Fright Fest than in the past, with the only mazes being Willoughby's Mansion, Brutal Planet, and Deadman's Bog.

There will be one walk-around area in Gotham City, and a show outside of the Gotham City Arch featuring Heckles and Twitch.

Gone this year are the Kids Craft Area, fog around the park, The Asylum, Jokester's Hideout, Carnage E. Hall, and The Parade of the Living Dead.

That's a MAJOR dissapointment for me. Carnage E. Hall was probably my favorite attraction in the whole of SFMM. And I have always felt that Deadman's Bog was weak.

I will say that it's interesting that both The Asylum and Jokester's Hideout will not be returning. I wonder if this means work will move ahead on Flashback sooner? I have seen that they have removed the final train from the main circuit.

*strokes chin and ponders*

I was just going to say that about Jokester's Hideout... and didn't the Asylum use the Metro station near the main gate? Maybe they'll finally start working on that as well?

As for scaling down FF, I'll have to say after going through pretty much all the mazes last year, I really wasn't that impressed (or maybe I'm just hard to scare), so I can't comment on that. The whole "No more fog" ticks me off though. That was one of the cool things, when you were riding something that was close to a cannon and some fog drifted by randomly.

Oh, and am I mistaken, or was the park open for weekdays longer last year? I was surprised to find that they already started closing at 6 and next week it's back to closed on weekdays again. Crud, I was going to try to get a few more weekdays in now that school started but I guess that's not going to happen.

FF suplimental update #1:

There may be some extra money to throw in Jokester's Hideout after all. Final descision may be this weekend.

Corporate is requiring all parks w/ Fright Fest to have two entertainment offerings:

Wheel of Fear: Guests will spin a wheel w/ 8 different edible animals on the wheel. The guest will eat what they land on, and win a prize.

Coffin of Fear: A guest will lay in a plexi-glass coffin and some creatures will be poured in w/ them. If they last X-amount of time the will win a prize.

^ Ummmmmm...that Coffin of Fear sounds pretty iffy to me. Someone is gonna freak out, get really pissed off, and then report it to some news company who will make a big deal out of it. The Wheel of Fear sounds pretty fun though. It's a shame that Carnege Hall is gone, that was defenitly a good quality maze with a great idea and theme. They're still doing Colossus Backwards though...right?

---Brent

Anybody still anxious as to what is planned for the former Psyclone footprint?

I pray a Tony Hawk Big Spin doesn't go there. The last thing the park needs is another roller coaster -- and one that has relatively low capacity at that.

If a Wiggles World or Thomas Town is put in, I'd like to see how they'd incorporate it into that area of the park...also hoping they'd open up a pathway up by Cyclone 500 so the area by Deja Vu isn't a dead-end as it has for the past how many years now.

Well I'm fairly certain we'll see a Thomas area somewhere in the park next year. The one at Discovery Kingdom turned out quite nicely. With SFGam and SFGadv getting indoor Batman coasters next year, SFMM will get mostly focus on infrastructure improvements and some new kiddy rides, which is all the park deserves or needs.

As for Psyclone's spot, I personally think it could become just a "non ride" area. I could be wrong though. I just can't imagine a kiddy area on the back side of the park, forcing parents to drag their toddlers back there just for a few small rides. The 'new' monorail trains will help, but that's still a long way from the front of the park.

And Wiggles World is a dying phenom, just like I suspected. No more of those, please!

They're still doing Colossus Backwards though...right?

---Brent

I hope so! I remember last year going backwards was a LOT more comfortable than going forwards. I went on Colossus forwards (obviously) earlier this year and it was PAINFUL in a few spots. Extreme vibrations! My guess is that the backwards side isn't as rough because it's only used for a few weeks every year (unless the alternate stations which I don't see much of)

Is Hurricane Harbor closed yet?

I'd say it's about that time where those PTR's need to be comin' in again. Flashback demolition countdown will soon begin.

Thanks for the info on FF. I'm looking forward to getting those backwards rides in on Collosuss again.

I'm hoping Psyclone's spot is taken by an El Toro clone eventually, as it is one of the last spots for a large coaster that they have left. Once Flashback is gone, I think they have plenty of room for an expanded kids section. I hope however that they put in a Sallly interactive shooter ride or a Splash battle attraction, and also build a modest 4D theater. Imo, putting in small carnival rides that can only fit small kids would be a mistake. They need a true all ages attractions if they are serious about the family audience. More importantly, they need to own their own ip's so they can exploit them later on, much in the same way Pirates went from theme park ride to money making machine.

^ That's great news. He sure did stuff for SFKK, lets hope he can do the same for SFMM. But, as my dad keeps saying, to bring the park back to its former glory, it is going to take a long time and A LOT of money. Lets hope that these improvements to the park keep happening. IMO, it's also the little things that people notice, matter the most.

---Brent

^ Where to begin

1. Better operations (No 7 min dispatches, or 1 train operations)

2. Better customer service (Friendly and helpful staff, and staff that is not on cell phones)

3. Better up keep of the park (Paint rides that need painting, remove or restore abandon rides)

4. Higher Priced season passes (no buy a day get a year free)

5. Enforce park rules ( remove line jumpers, smokers or disrespectful

people)

6. Put grass under Scream!!!!

The park has improved in the up keep of the park, but operations and customer service still need a lot of work.

I agree with most of what you say dragster, but it seems like most of these people are thinking parks are going to go back to the appearance they had in the seventies. These same people think that more shows, and restaurants, and less thrill rides is what makes a park better.

The fact is most people go to parks to ride thrilling coasters. That is a fact. Parks like SFMM and Kings Island are not ever going to look as they did in the 70's. Times change and so does Amusement Parks. Some people need to stop being so conservative and thinking that parks should never change from the past. That is impossible.

If you guys did not know SFMM GM, Del Holland has retired and the GM of SFKK, Jay Thomas has replaced him. From what I have read, Jay Thomas is credited for turning SFKK around.

article

I think some people need to let go of the past, because the park is NEVER going to be like it used to. First of all, its because they have a dozen more coasters in the landscape AND, the times have changed. However, I don't see a problem with a "new and improved" park thats better than its been in 15 years or so.

And might I say, if Magic Mountain wants to improve, the first thing they need to do is work on their freakin employees and their freakin horrible attitudes. Because you can put up a million signs telling people to follow rules and add shows and theming all over the park, but if you still have ride operators on cell phones looking like they'd rather have a 12 gauge to their head than sitting and operating a ride, you've gotten nowhere.

Getting the right staff, at those wages, will continue to be quite a challenge and it is going to take time for any new training to take effect. And with the seasonal nature of most of the positions, that only adds to the problem.

I don't think they should look to the past at all, but instead look forward to what can be done. Personally, I think that the park will only go to the next level if corporate immediately reserves space in the new neighboring development for a hotel. It is zoned for "hospitality", and they should jump on that with a business partner asap, or lose that real estate opportunity forever.

As for the park itself, it certainly is not an ugly park. Besides the obvious upkeep on coasters, imo, they should focus on small sections first that can be done for a reasonable budget. For example, the Panda Express courtyard could look quite nice if they repaired the stairs, stained the concrete, decorative seating, fountain, etc. all in southwest style. Easy to do under 10 grand.

Then they just move around the park (remove cruddy X statue for example), and focus on creating these small nice spots. Eventually, these low cost nice spots link together to make a pleasant park. I would never expect them to be able to build faux mountains or entire villages like Disney, but they can enhance many spots in the park without a lot of expense. Bust out that Home Depot card and get to it.

The Scream grass issue shouldn't be grass, so cal water shortage and all, but at least an artificial turf, (same for Goliath, Collosuss, and so on everywhere there is brown/gray.)

It's good to see and hear about how much SFMM has been inproving. It will only get better with the new manager from SFKK coming in as he did wonders for that park and hopefully does a MIRACLE at MM. I think the sleeping giant is actually going to awaken and might actually start brining in profits:) All i gotta say is: PEACE DEL HOLLAND!!

I personally think SFMM is a very pretty park as well, if you take away over flowing trash cans and a$$hole people. It has a cool layout and I have to admit I wish the park was closer to me so I could ride the coasters more. It pisses me off that the 2 times I have gotten to the park a few coasters were closed, X both times:( There is so much potential there and I don't believe anyone is foolish enough to let the park close. That would be the dumbest thing done is the history of amusement parks.

I just dont get why people say they want to return certain parks to their glory days. As someone said a few posts ago, you have to look forward at making progress. If SFMM or any othe park for that matter was the same is it was in the early 80's and 70's noone would go there. I think a few people believe adding new coasters and rides is a bad thing. It is new rides that makes people want to return to the park. Noone would go to Kings Island every year just to ride the beast. Ok, there a few strange people out there. You have to add new rides. That is why Kings Island and places like Michigan Adventure need to add some new coaster, and not old ones from other parks. Think of the attention Kings Island would get if they added a giant Intimin or a B&M hyper! It would be awesome!

I am Praying for jay cause he has some big shoes to fill.

I knew del quite well im sad to see him go he was a really nice person even thou i am not a employee anymore when he saw me he said hello and asked how my sister was cause she worked there longer then i did.

Lets hope jay can fill that seat as gm and start putting this park back on track one thing that i would like to see is a water ride in the footprint of old psyclone its more then enough room to put a water coaster in.

i rode jta at sea world and thought hey now that layout would be perfect for that area of the park just theme it after another natural disaster and pow a hit attraction

Well thats enough ranting dont want to get into trouble with any mods

^^ I don't think you quite get the meaning of when people want the park to return to the "glory days". It means a park that Six Flags actually cares about, and puts a lot of effort into. A Clean and safe family park, with 15 roller coasters, and a park that is well taken care of. A park that the employees make sure that you are having a great day.

The only progress SFMM has made is in the thrill department. They haven't had a new non roller coaster ride since the 80's (not including the up charge rides). Most of SFMM flat rides are VERY outdated rides from the 70's and 80's.

Kings Island just added Fire Hawk and from what I have read its quite popular. And the average person is not going to know that Fire Hawk is X Flight repainted and moved from Geauga Lake.

^^ I don't think you quite get the meaning of when people want the park to return to the "glory days". It means a park that Six Flags actually cares about, and puts a lot of effort into. A Clean and safe family park, with 15 roller coasters, and a park that is well taken care of. A park that the employees make sure that you are having a great day.

The only progress SFMM has made is in the thrill department. They haven't had a new non roller coaster ride since the 80's (not including the up charge rides). Most of SFMM flat rides are VERY outdated rides from the 70's and 80's.

Kings Island just added Fire Hawk and from what I have read its quite popular. And the average person is not going to know that Fire Hawk is X Flight repainted and moved from Geauga Lake.

Dude i worked there from my junior year in HS till 2003 so i know what your talking about

^ Because they still need new ones. All people do at SFMM is ride coasters. Now, I never said that there was anything wrong with that, but if Six Flags is trying to make it a family park, they need for flat rides that could cater to the entire family. But, I can also see where you are coming from. Circus Wheel got redone, and that looks great! If they could do that to all of there current flat rides and then add new ones, the park should be pretty set on rides.

Brent "my recommendation is for a Huss frisbee" Shenton

a Huss *GIANT Frisbee....wow I'd cry (tears of joy) if they announced that in Psyclone's (or even Flashbacks's) old spot they would place a giant frisbee. That would be a great non coaster addition for the year, as well as whatever they have "family" planned.

Now that I think about it, does ANY SF park have a giant frisbee? Or any ride from huss for that matter? (besides a couple topspins)

Now that I think about it, does ANY SF park have a giant frisbee? Or any ride from huss for that matter? (besides a couple topspins)

A lot of SF parks have various Huss rides. The frisbee is quite common at SF parks, and better ride than the Giant Frisbee IMO.