TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

All i can say is WOW

They have also have changed the charchters sighs in the parking lot.Fixed all the show lights at batman and music. And are in the process of replacing the fog machines.and from what i hear they are reopening the on ride photos at Riddlers,Batman, and Goliath jr.Sfmm is geting its act together. Ive seen more things fixed,painted and changed in the last 3 months then i have in the last few years.I also saw mark shapiro walking in the park on saturday he looked happy from what i saw.

~Chr!s-O

.I also saw mark shapiro walking in the park on saturday he looked happy from what i saw.

That explains everything. Put on a show for the boss. That sounds an awful lot like what happened in the months leading up to Tatsu...and they sure did a good job of keeping that up!

And KRAX: I think Ryan was asking about Thrill Shot, not the paint.

^ I agree. Knowing SFMM that is probably the case.

But what if it was more along the lines of:

Mark Shapiro: Hey, I'm going to give your park more money...

...Impress me.

how do you put a show on for shapiro if he approves the funding for the park and knows where every penny goes?

no employees were aware he was coming.

imo

the parks getting its act together. Alot more rides are open and alot more things are getting done and if it is temporary its better it happend then nothing at all.

~Chr!s-O

^I would be VERY impressed if Shapiro knew where every penny went. I'm guessing all he knows is "I gave you X amount of dollars" and maybe he'll ask questions if things don't seem right or he wants to check up on the place. That would be a lot of time wasted just crunching numbers for someone as high up the chain as him. I also don't believe that he arrived unannounced, but that would be besides the point.

The point is, the park is not "improving" until they consistently do upkeep and maintain the things they fix up at the beginning of the year. Which I don't see happening any time soon. Budgets will start to run dry and the cuts will be evident as usual. These improvements scream "I want to keep my job *cough* Tim Burkhart *cough*, so I'd better put on a good show for the boss!"

It sounds as if they are definitely on the right track, and I hope it continues!

-X back open with two train operation

-Ninja finally getting painted

-On ride pics for Riddlers and BTR possibly returning

-Finally doing something about the SNBO Flashback and the painful Psyclone

-Thrillshot reopening

Hopefully, the improvements will keep up; I'd still like to see them throw some landscaping under Scream and get completely new trains for X based on the improvements with the new 4D, but it sounds as if they are off to a good start this year.

I'm looking forward to going for the first time in a while next weekend and welcoming X back and seeing if they have done anything else.....

I just got back from the mountain, X had two brake downs today, but the wait was no more than 20mins long. Ninja is being repainted and the little that they have done looks great! Tatsu is back at 7min dispatches but X is having less than 2min dispatches and is a LOT smother of a ride. Every roller coaster was running two trains with decent dispatch times. All in all the park is improving and I hope it continues.

alot people criticize sfmm for not doing enough but you must realize the park is open year round and anything that cannot be done in a five day span must be put on hold for the following week.I know that somtimes it gets held off for longer but there is usually a reason.

i dont wanna argue with anyone.

thats my opinon

~Chris-O

I just got back from the mountain, X had two brake downs today, but the wait was no more than 20mins long. Tatsu is back at 7min dispatches but X is having less than 2min dispatches and is a LOT smother of a ride.

Well... Twenty minute wait is AMAZING for X, Two break downs is better than being closed until four (grr... yes I am still mad about that) And two minute dispatches is amazing as well. During the middle of the Summer, their dispatch time was about seven or eight minutes for each train. Glad they have been able to change that

The Tatsu crew lost its best ride op to X I think. (saw him heading to X in the middle of the day yesterday) The people still do a good job but they are extremely laid back.

The thing that annoyed me the most on saturday was while we were waiting for Tatsu, we saw some kids get on Tatsu who were obviously too small and one of the workers even closed the restrains for them!!! Then, two minutes later we hear "release row four, all" and they take them off and measure them and then kick them off the ride... it made me really angry.

Also, its the first time I think I've ever seen MM keep a deadline they set. Kudos to them.

^^ And he wasn't accusing you of lying...just asking for a source, which wouldn't hurt.

-Jahan

Thank you Jahan, someone who actually READS what I asked!

I said, not like your lying. And youre right, you have no reason to lie!

I just asked for some photos of the new fresh coat. Thats all. Something just to back up the fact.

And about Superman, change isnt bad. Seeing someone going all the way up there to paint it, now thats a challenge! I welcome the change, SFMM IS indeed improving, but like Joey stated, can they keep it that way? I mean, look at Pleasureland Southport for Example. The last few years they improved, improved, improved. And now..theyve since closed?

-Ryan

I almost flipped my lid when I saw the "this ride is being painted" sign in front of Ninja yesterday. It truely needs the paint though.

As for Superman, it would be nice if it was actually colored. Red yellow and blue would be nice colors for it. Yesterday, a friend of mine, who had never been to the park and never seen superman said to me, "Whats that ugly tall grey ride?" and I could only imagine other people are saying the same thing.

alot people criticize sfmm for not doing enough but you must realize the park is open year round and anything that cannot be done in a five day span must be put on hold for the following week.I know that somtimes it gets held off for longer but there is usually a reason.

i dont wanna argue with anyone.

thats my opinon

~Chris-O

The Florida parks, USH, DL/DCA, and even KBF (to a MUCH lesser extent than the the others) have somehow managed to do a pretty good job keeping rides running, performing general maintenance work like paint, etc. on a year round basis...

And there's one reason things take longer at SFMM: money.

I almost flipped my lid when I saw the "this ride is being painted" sign in front of Ninja yesterday. It truely needs the paint though.

Really? Did the sign actually read that the ride is being painted? Because if that's so, that's something new to Magic Mountain. I also noticed that when Goliath was down for its rehab a week ago, they had a sign out front saying something like "This attraction is closed for maintenance."

Magic Mountain always had signs in front of their closed rides, but they NEVER specified a reason, just the generic "We're sorry. This attraction is closed today." Now the signage is actually telling guests why an attraction is closed -- for maintenance, painting, etc.

I just got back from the mountain, X had two brake downs today, but the wait was no more than 20mins long. Ninja is being repainted and the little that they have done looks great! Tatsu is back at 7min dispatches but X is having less than 2min dispatches and is a LOT smother of a ride. Every roller coaster was running two trains with decent dispatch times. All in all the park is improving and I hope it continues.

i just came back from sfmm too, all i can say is.. i had a great day! i was in line for X when it had one of its break downs i waited...it lasted for about 15 minutes, then rode it... never realized how much i missed X...

tatsu having 7 minute dispatches? i thought the crew was pretty fast today..

as far as improving.. employees seam much nicer, i was greeted by every employee... hope the improvement continues...

^^^Those signs aren't new (well, maybe the painting one is). Remember how long Thrill Shot was closed for "weather?" The maintenance one is used when B:TR goes down for rehabs too.

Things are definately looking up! Even for a slow day today, Sky Tower was open. Many of the smaller shops that are usually closed on slow days were open. Probably about 4 Jig Lifts were under Ninja getting the track and supports ready for painting. Here are some pics from today:

Superman2.jpg.3884a44d3c2d03a10cd76c561e818998.jpg

These people were not too happy! They were stuck for quite awhile.

Superman1.jpg.504366319495d8c860a66613804c371f.jpg

Superman was open but had problems most of the day. Guy in tower said this had happened many times today.

Ninja_Paint.jpg.c935075b3a604bf27dba2fabfee7e6dc.jpg

Wow this is really happening! I like the positive spin on the sign too!

Were you able to get that last picture without going past any baracades, under ropes or chains?

Not because I would ridicule you, but because as an employee, I'd want to make sure that guests aren't going into construction areas. I'm sure it was safe, but not ideal.

Just curious, honestly...not a personal attack.