TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I do know a little about steel, my dad being a welder. I cant imagine that they X-ray the whole track, that would be expensive and extremely time consuming. The most likely things that would be damaged are the welds. If they are examining only the welds, then they could use a portable Ultrasound machine to do that. Much cheaper, easier, and less time consuming than X-Raying everything.

my maintinence post was geared more to the down-time of Gotiath. X, however, well its a prototype, perhaps an under-engineered one at that. I know they had many problems regarding the arms on the trains, and at one point I think installed a sort of suspension system. What has kept it down for the last two years i have no clue though, indeed a long time for a maintenence\refurb...

Dan"I just wanna ride the damn thing" the Man

Yes X was testing today and no they didn't get new trains,the only thing that seemed to change where the wheels. They had people cleaning X's station today.

I rode X for the first time this past summer when I took a trip to California... and all I can say is that I was glad I did get the chance before it went down. In my opinion... for many tourists... X is the main draw to the park. (Tatsu is also a main draw... but X is just so unique that I think people who don't live by roller coasters will see X as a crazy thing and kind of pass over Tatsu when choosing a park to go to) (Even though Tatsu is AMAZING) But... I am glad X is back open... it is a great fun ride (only a little rough) and perosnally... when I went to the park... if X had been closed I would have beem mad like no other! So... good job on Magic Mountain going to the post office and recieving that package that took so long. (It must have got lost during all the holiday madness! )

Also... did I read ^ that they were CLEANING! (no way!!)

-Andrew

Yes X was testing today and no they didn't get new trains,the only thing that seemed to change where the wheels. They had people cleaning X's station today. Also in other news they where training people for thrill shot today and also noticed them testing Goliath.

Glad to hear that about Thrill Shot! That ride has been SBNO for so long I can tell you have NEVER seen it open ONCE since it was built in 2001 and I visit the park frequently every year...

This is such good news!!! I am flying from Reno, Nevada (alas, my state is depressing when it comes to coasters) to go to SFMM Superbowl Sunday. Being from SoCal originally and knowing how SFMM works, I was not expecting them to make their projected Feb. 3 date. This is a pleasant surprise. Especially because I'm going with a friend who hasn't been in 15 years. He has no idea what X does and I'm not telling him. I can't wait to see the look on his face at that evil first drop. Thanks for the update, Elissa. If I see you guys there, I'll be sure to introduce myself.

I just wish MM would post expected ride downtimes / refurb times on their website like Knotts does.

However, this basically gives false promises and assurances to customers. If you can't guarantee something, it should not be said (at least without a very heavy disclaimer!)--this goes for any business. When they show up and it is still not open because it is behind schedule, SFMM can't really do anything about it. Not providing a date prevents this disappointment problem, because it will open when it opens.