TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

A Thomas the Tank Engine monorail, perhaps? Sounds like it could be similar to the Seuss Trolley ride at IoA. If any of you have ridden that, it's more or less a monorail style track with dual rails on top.

Psyclone and Flashback are biting the dust, huh? Well, good. My last rides on both were incredibly painful and far from enjoyable. Sad to say, though, that Psyclone was actually very good when it opened. It just hasn't been properly taken care of and had the wrong trains on it.

I know some of you were in favor of paving the place, but I think the park has the potential to become a great family park. And the more families that come, the fewer gangbanger types will be there. That's just an observation of mine, but I believe it to be true.

There is fun beyond a whole flock of roller coasters.

Eric

Maybe they're taking Flashback down to refurbish it to move it somewhere else. I certainly hope so. If it were refurbished it could be really terrific.

I'm happy about the new train addition. Walking from one end of the park to the other is a pain. I hope it's a monorail. Monorails are way cooler than mini trains.

Personally, I never reall liked Psyclone and never got to ride Flashback. But, I also don't like it when a park removes rides like this (I guess because I still feel the sting of PGA losing coasters), I am all for improvements though and if it means doing this then so be it.

I just hope that this doesn't turn into a trend where more coasters are removed. After all, MM is known for having a great and totally unique collection of coasters and I would be really sad to see that get messed up.

kraxleRIDAH

There. My post has been corrected. You can calm down now.

Holy crap, I really really really really hope this is true.

OMGZ, me 2! To be honest, I think Magic Mountain has far to many coasters for its own good and these 2 are probably the least needed out of all the coasters the park has to offer. Though, I should probably go and get a couple more rides in on Deja Vu before it goes.

^^ I don't think you need to worry so much about Deja Vu. I believe Psyclone was chosen for removal was due to its consistent lack of patrons as well as it being high maintenance. I figure, as long as Deja Vu has a high turnstile count and long lines (as it always does) and continues to operate on a regular basis (as it was doing for all of 2007), then there should be no reason for it to be removed.

Personally, I never reall liked Psyclone and never got to ride Flashback. But, I also don't like it when a park removes rides like this (I guess because I still feel the sting of PGA losing coasters), I am all for improvements though and if it means doing this then so be it.

I just hope that this doesn't turn into a trend where more coasters are removed. After all, MM is known for having a great and totally unique collection of coasters and I would be really sad to see that get messed up.

kraxleRIDAH

There. My post has been corrected. You can calm down now.

I was always calm. I just become slightly irritated when people ask questions without reading first.

Maybe they're taking Flashback down to refurbish it to move it somewhere else. I certainly hope so. If it were refurbished it could be really terrific.

LMAO!!! LMAO!!!!! STILL LMAO!!!!

Ok, ok....need to take a breath.

Seriously....do you REALLY think that a totally un-popular ride, that has sat there rusting away for nearly 4 years is going to be "refurbished and sent to another park?"

NO FREAKING WAY!!!

It's dead...gone....HISTORY!

In all honestly, this news is *AWESOME.* Someone asked me recently "What would you do if you bought the park?" And part of my response would be "Tear down about 1/2 the coasters and focus on on fewer, HIGHER QUALITY rides & attractions."

SFMM totally suffers from the "Quantity over Quality" syndrome. If it were up to me, I'd rip down not only Psyclone & Flashback but X, Deja Vu, Viper, Superman, & Revolution.

I mean, they would still have a totally kick ass coaster line up with Tatsu, Batman, Riddler's, Scream!, Goliath, Ninja, Colossus, Gold Rusher, & the two kiddies. Something for everyone in that mix. Kids, families and thrill seekers.

And then I'd focus on rides like a Scooby Doo or Looney Tunes dark ride, updated flat rides, and giving the entire park a "once over."

Of course, I'd also landscape the area under Scream! and lower the height restriction on Gold Rusher back to 42" but that's more details for another discussion.

Anyway, this is really a HUGE step in the right direction.

--Robb

^ I don't think Deja Vu will be going anywhere. I hope they use the wood off of Psyclone to refurbish Colossus.

I dunno, they might want to expand onto deja vu's territory....

But you could be right, it could be there for awhile.

LMAO!!! LMAO!!!!! STILL LMAO!!!!

Ok, ok....need to take a breath.

Seriously....do you REALLY think that a totally un-popular ride, that has sat there rusting away for nearly 4 years is going to be "refurbished and sent to another park?"

NO FREAKING WAY!!!

It's dead...gone....HISTORY!

SFMM totally suffers from the "Quantity over Quality" syndrome. If it were up to me, I'd rip down not only Psyclone & Flashback but X, Deja Vu, Viper, Superman, & Revolution.

I mean, they would still have a totally kick a$$ coaster line up with Tatsu, Batman, Riddler's, Scream!, Goliath, Ninja, Colossus, Gold Rusher, & the two kiddies. Something for everyone in that mix. Kids, families and thrill seekers.

--Robb

Haha, calm down. I was sort of joking, there.

I'd recommend against taking Revolution down, instead give it a big ol' makeover. Retrack it, get new trains, but who am I kidding...it's a staple of the park, for me, and I'd hate to see it gone. It's fun (if you keep your head away from the restraints).

It makes sense that the Thomas and friends area would be where Flashback is since it's so close to the kiddie area. But it doesn't make sense to put a brand name ice cream shop in the back corner of the park. Something like that would do better near the front of the park by the carousel. I think that they are just gonna give the land back where psyclone sat. That is the only thing that really makes sense. Flashback sucked and there is no way that thing is getting refurbished and sent back out.

Gutter "my two cents" mouth

Well, I am actually kind of sad that Flashback and Psyclone are going. It was inevitable, but I actually liked those two rides. Dah, well it's true they both havn't been very popular. Those poor battered and worn rollercoasters. I do home though that the park does upgrade their flat rides and maybe one day get a dark ride.

RIP Psyclone and Flashback

Yes! I got beaten to death by both of these before they may or may not be getting torn out!

I actually think this is a good idea since flashback has been down for ages and when I went to SFMM at the beginning of summer, Psyclone had to wait about 10 minutes to have enough people on the train to let the ops dispatch it from the station. Anything in their place would probably get more ridership or attendence (if its a ride or restaurant).

I don't care much that Flashback is going, as that was pretty much expected by everyone, but i don't see why so many people are happy that Psyclone is going to be taken out. If you don't like it, don't ride it!

I, infact, really enjoy Psycone [especially] in the front seat, and a complete retrack and new trains could have done wonders to the ride.

Having said that, i can understand why its being torn down, it was an unpopular ride that was probably not worth the money it cost to operate. Im still sad to see it go... Atleast until the new attraction(s) take its place.

Also, i really hope the rumored kids are isn't themed to Thomas the Tank Engine, i'd be much happier if they built it to a more all-age friendly theme, like a jungle (Golden Kingdom, anyone?). You know, a land to cater to the entire family, not just kids. That way the wouldn't be a gap between kids rides and thrill rides.

That is what Six Flags wants, a FAMILY park, right?

I'd recommend against taking Revolution down, instead give it a big ol' makeover. Retrack it, get new trains, but who am I kidding...it's a staple of the park, for me, and I'd hate to see it gone. It's fun (if you keep your head away from the restraints).

That would never happen...and that's the problem. It's almost more painful to me to see it still operating in the horrible shape that it's in now, than it would be to just put it out of it's misery.

There's never a line for it anymore, it thrashes you around something awful. Might as well just kill it.

I mean, sure, I would *LOVE* to see it get new trains without OTSR's, pull those horrible trims, and have it run like it did 20 years ago.

But that's a dream.....

I guessed that there was a possibility that they would rip down Psyclone after they took the trains off and put them backwards on Colossus' track. I wonder what theyre going to put in there?

I wish they would put in a short intamin launch coaster, but I doubt it will ever happen...

and them tearing down flashback is really no surprise

I guessed that there was a possibility that they would rip down Psyclone after they took the trains off and put them backwards on Colossus' track.

That didn't really factor into the reason for taking it out. They've been using the Psyclone trains on Colossus during the Halloween season for years now.

--Robb

That would be really cool if they built an Intamin 4 rail track because those coasters are very fun like Xcelerator at Knott's. Basically my cousins said never ride Pysclone cause it hurts..a lot. SO! I am glad that they are tearing the ride down and putting something more family-like because that ride plain sucked from the looks of it!

Arneil

That would be really cool if they built an Intamin 4 rail track because those coasters are very fun like Xcelerator at Knott's. Basically my cousins said never ride Pysclone cause it hurts..a lot. SO! I am glad that they are tearing the ride down and putting something more family-like because that ride plain sucked from the looks of it!

Arneil

It did hurt.. a lot, but I still enjoyed it. I remember when I was younger it was a lot more fun, but that could be because it was my first wooden rollercoaster.

That is what Six Flags wants, a FAMILY park, right?

Yes. And the kind of families Shapiro wants at his parks aren't the mom, dad and high school teens. Think more along the lines of pre-teens in elementary school and young parents. The kind of clientel you see so frequently at Disneyland.

You're not going to get those family types into the parks with a Golden Kingdom. When Jr. watches a TV commercial for the Wiggles World and Thomas & Friends coming to Six Flags...guess who he or she is going to beg to take them there? Mom and pops. Leave the marketing and business strategy to Six Flags. They have it right so far.

Nobody will miss Flashback. No doubt about it. However, I wonder what it would cost for GCI to come in and retrack Psyclone? GCI specializes in twisters, and I think the Millennium Flyers would work wonders on this. Toss in a Colossus rehab with an original layout (even with 2 train operation per-side, I'd say it's worth it.) and PTC return. I know GCI likes to keep the MF rolling stock exclusive, but money talks.

A digression: I thought the Monorail couldn't be brought back because the OEM went belly up? Providing they plan to re-use the existing monorail network (a BIG if), I take it they decided it was worth the custom machine parts expense. Funny, SFI refused to show SFGAdv's Enterprise (didn't Intamin build Schwarzkopf designed flats?) the same love. Oh well, lord knows SFGAdv. has a plethora of working flats and a shortage of poured concrete.