TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

UPDATE SATURDAY / MARCH 10

* All leftover wood and debris from the Psyclone demolition have been cleaned up and cleared out from the former Psyclone area. The ride's queue switchback area is the only reminder left of what used to be there.

* Psyclone's midway signage has been removed.

Photographs of these noted changes can be viewed here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE FRIDAY / MARCH 2

* Psyclone is no longer standing, having been dismantled during the last week of February. Only remnants of the attraction that are still present on site are portions of the buildings that housed the transfer/maintenance shed and the loading platform station.

* No immediate signs of changes or work has yet been spotted over at Flashback, although we can expect it to be dismantled over the course of the next few weeks now that Psyclone has been "taken care of."

Photographs of these noted changes can be viewed on Page 38 of this thread.

UPDATE MONDAY / FEBRUARY 19

* Pre-dismantling has been underway at Psyclone for approximately two or three weeks now. Workers have been removing small components to the ride such as lights, electrical parts, the operating system in preparation for structural dismantling. All Psyclone's vehicles have been moved over to Colossus where they are being stored for the time being.

* Nothing has changed in regards to Flashback. Any kind of changes as they happen, will be noted here.

Photos of the updates described above may be viewed here and here.

UPDATE TUESDAY / JANUARY 23

* Psyclone to be removed and scrapped sometime around mid-February. (Within four weeks from 1/22/2007, according to park spokeswoman Sue Carpenter).

* Flashback to be dismantled and temporarily stored for the rest of the 2007 season. Park explores the option to possibly re-assemble it sometime in the future.

Source: LA Daily News

UPDATE MONDAY / JANUARY 22

The park has updated its main ride page at its website and is pubically alerting potential visitors of the situation regarding Psyclone and Flashback. In addition, the park has also removed links to the ride pages from the drop-down menu in the Thrills section, which was somehow missed before.

Six Flags Magic Mountain Rides Page

UPDATE FRIDAY / JANUARY 19

Both of the coasters' ride profile pages on the park's website and links to them (except from the Thrill Rides drop-down menu) have all been removed. On the park ride's main page, the park describes the 15-roller coasters (it used to say 17).

Six Flags Magic Mountain Rides Page

In addition, the park's spokeswoman Sue Carpenter has personally confirmed the dismantling process for both roller coasters.

CEO Mark Shapiro noted in the January 12 live conference call that more focus and money will be put into Magic Mountain and the company's largest properties. Shapiro mentioned a new 3-stop "train/monorail" attraction would be introduced in 2007 at Magic Mountain. He also mentioned that the park would be home to a Coldstone Creamery and a indisclosed branded indoor restaurant this year (think Johnny Rockets at Knott's and Cedar Point).

Listen to the Six Flags Conference Call 1/12/2007

PERSONAL SPECULATION:

* My assumption is that the new "train/monorail" attraction will be a fully refurbished Metro with a new name and theme.

* The recently cleared area out back behind Psyclone and the space freed up by the roller coasters' footprint may be large enough for an elaborate Thomas & Friends or Wiggles World themed area(s) as well as a potential location for either one of the two new proposed food operations.

I'll reserve comments involving the new rumored area of the park until we get some more proof . But just the closure of these two rides is in my opinion great progress and hopefully they can build something productive on the spaces. Never even been on Flashback but I always heard how empty it was, and as someone who has actually worked on Psyclone, I can tell you it was rare that we got the needed 17 riders to dispatch the train earlier in the year. So yeah, good choice I think by Six Flags.

Great thing though, that my last ride on Psyclone was actually very enjoyable!

_six

^^Well, the website took it off, so there is probably a 99% chance that they are getting dismantled. The other 1% is because it is not official yet. I remember in the 'SFMM updates' thread, they took away all the junk behind Psyclone. Maybe they were making room to get rid of Psyclone. It's really nice to hear that the park is getting rid of some coasters. Personally, I do like that these coasters are being taken out, however, they are the least-loved attractions, so it really dosen't make this anymore of a family park. Flashback was never really open anyway. They need to put some flats in or something to replace these. Can't wait for more!

This is great news, I guess the new management has called an end in the coaster count war with Cedar Point (like wasn't it remarkable that Scream sprung up overnight when CP racked up 16) - not that I or the GP care, I'd rather have 6 great coasters than 17 where they are mostly average and bad ocasters.

Why dismantle Psychlone, there is an army of coaster fans who would happily torch it for them? They shoud have a demolish Psychlone competition.

Well, at least I got my Psyclone credit in December...

I don't really think it was that bad, either... I rode it 4 times in a row, back seat (last time)!

Oh well. It's good to see some progress at SFMM that isn't a new coaster!

I think that it is possible that these and the new train that Shapiro was talking about could be connected. If you think about it, both of the coaster locations are great spots in the park to have train stations. Flashback is right in the front of the park, and Psyclone in the back left corner. I would guess the third station would be in the upper right corner or right side somewhere. I also think the Thomas the Tank Engine station in Psyclone's spot is very possible too! I have to admit I am bummed I can't get the credits, but it would not be the first time it has happend. At least the other 15 coasters will still be there!

I think that it is possible that these and the new train that Shapiro was talking about could be connected. If you think about it, both of the coaster locations are great spots in the park to have train stations. Flashback is right in the front of the park, and Psyclone in the back left corner. I would guess the third station would be in the upper right corner or right side somewhere.

When Shapiro said a "train station" with three stops, the park's current Monorail came to mind. I really doubt it's going to be a brand new traditional narrow-gauge theme park steam train. It'll most likely be a refurbishment of the old monorail with a new name and theme.

Holy crap, I really really really really hope this is true.

Missing sentence: 2 down, 15 more to go until Concrete Mountain is finished!

Anyways, this sounds great and it may clean up the park very well. Flashback looks horrendous and Psyclone... lets just say I have never heard a good thing about it!

Why should SFMMs two best roller coasters die? I mean, Flashback and Psyclone are top notch rides that evenybody loves! SBNO roller coasters are the bomb and Psyclone is better than Balder! Why should they die!

I'm glad that Flashback and Psyclone are getting demolished. Psyclone is as rough as hell (according to most people) and Flashback is just an eyesore, so this is no big loss. RIP (rest in pieces), Psyclone and Flashback, hell is where you two belong....

The recently cleared area out back behind Psyclone and the space freed up by the roller coasters' footprint will be large enough for an elaborate Thomas & Friends themed area as well as for the two new food operations. The Thomas & Friends replacing Psyclone is purely speculation on my part

Except for the fact that unless Six Flags and Newhall Land and Farming have struck a new deal regarding the former boneyard, Six Flags can't build on that piece of land. Depending on who you ask, Six Flags never owned that piece of land, or owned it but was contractually bound to not build on it.

Personally, I never reall liked Psyclone and never got to ride Flashback. But, I also don't like it when a park removes rides like this (I guess because I still feel the sting of PGA losing coasters), I am all for improvements though and if it means doing this then so be it.

I just hope that:

1.) This doesn't turn into a trend where more coasters are removed. After all, MM is known for having a great and totally unique collection of coasters and I would be really sad to see that get messed up.

2.)Whatever is done to replace these is well worth it and helps to improve the park as a whole. A great example of this would be, as many suggest, a transpotation ride that goes all around the park. Are the rumors of the train true? That would be ideal. A large park such as this sorely needs a ride like that just to help you get around.

3.)If these are not being replaced with new thrill rides then at least I hope some great places to eat with really good food would go in their places. I think we can all agree that theme park food is not really known as being all that great. And I don't mean fast food, it would have to be a nice sit down place like California Pizza Kitchen, or Red Robin's, or maybe even like a Marie Calender's or something- you get the idea.

If the plans for a train are true, is there room to squeeze the tracks in between the other rides? Knowing that steep hills and railroads don't mix, it would make sense to have the ride go around the perimeter of the park.

Becides that, when was Flashback open last time?