TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

Welcome to yet another SFMM Update! Sorry for not having many lately, but between school and play…and the fact that not much is going on in this ‘off season’, there’s very little to report on!

Today was a rainy day here in Valencia and since I had the time, I thought I’d hit up the mountain and see if the rain could manage the knock Tatsu over or something.

Let us begin!

The Great Wall of Tatsu

The sun emerged from the clouds, to help me out with a “lens flare” effect. Thanks sun!

Well, in my last update, I mentioned how…well, here…let me just quote myself:

Well now with Tatsu’s massive 170ft tall lift hill grappling onto the side of this hill, exerting great pressure on the land, in combination with the natural erosion cycle of a poorly vegetated hillside, essentially….what’s the nice way to say this…

…The hill is showing dangerous signs of erosion. The land around Tatsu’s lift-footers is giving out to gravity.

I’m hearing people say that if the problem isn’t “fixed” or at least “bottled, dammed, stopped, or temporarily held off” in a reasonable time-frame, the ride may have to go down.

This is why I was very curious to see what SFMM was able to conjure up, to fix the problem. Especially since the rain was of no help!

The answer: A retaining wall. A very big one!

Hello Mr. Wall!

So yes, the pathway between Rapids and Ninja is once again open. Thank God for that!

As for the wall, it’s simply a brick wall, anchored to a concrete base. The thing has to be about 12-15 feet tall!

I can only assume that the gap between the mountain and the wall will be filled, or else it seems rather pointless.

A make-shift drainage system, to help combat the rainfall.

I present to you…the backside of wall!

Took that one from the Jungle Cruise! The black stuff is a sealant…without it, this whole wall thing would be pointless. …so like it.

…also in the “Tatsu/wall”-news bracket, is the transfer shed/station that SFMM finally built! It is now fully complete…

It’s a floating wall! How do they do it!?

Also, note the whiteboard on the right-hand, inside of the shed. I was able to zoom in, and grab a shot of this maintenance “to-do” list. A lot of this stuff seems as if it should have been done 7-months ago, but I’m just glad to see it getting done. Like “Paint Exposed Welds”…now I didn’t ride, to check for myself, but if they actually painted the welds (as the check-mark suggests), than props to them! And trust me, you don’t need to have a keen “attention to detail” to notice if the welds were painted or not!

My personal favorite is “Mount this Board”

Ok, sad to say, but that’s really all the “specific” things to report on! So now onto the obligatory “miscellaneous” stuff!

Merchandise, Holidays, Breakdowns…and Random Crap!

As you probably saw in the Alvey’s update, SFMM is currently trying to get rid of a crap-load of merchandise by running 50% OFF sales! Honestly, it’s bringing their prices down low enough for even me!—two shirts were only 15 bucks!

Wow…they restocked a bit since the Alvey’s update. I guess Jesus isn’t much of a drinker!

Now this is what I don’t know—is this just an attempt to clear out this year’s merchandise, to make way for next seasons’? Or are they really trying to get rid of all “Six Flags” merchandise, to make a potential ownership-transition less painful? I mean, they were selling crap from 1999/2000! (according to the copyright labels…that is)

See what I mean…they had loads of unsold Riddler’s Revenge merchandise!

…and yes, I did grab my share of Riddler’s merch!

Onward!

While SFMM doesn’t officially announce a “Holiday Celebration” like Disney or Knotts, they have shown small pinches of holiday-ness, here and there.

Do you see it? Right there, towards the bottom, in between the head lights. There!

… Now I’m not trying to take a jab at their wreath! Totally glad it’s there, to be honest. I just couldn’t help but find it a little humorous, as it just looks a little sad. Poor wreath.

There you go! Guest Relations is a bit more festive! If you look closely, you can even see their pictures, wrapped as presents, on the wall.

This is my picture of a speaker, to portray the random “holiday music” the park is playing everywhere.

More!....

Yes, this is where the 3 sheriff cars were parked when the parking-toll booth was robbed a few weeks ago.

…hey, that wasn’t a SFMM jab as much as it was a sheriff jab!

I just wanted to correct an error in Robb’s update. One of the banners does in fact say “Six Flags” and “Magic Mountain”. This one. Right there, on the front of the Goliath Jr. coach.

…ok, I’m done. I’ll go die or something.

Well, here’s Superman, closed due to the rain.

I know that the “Superman for Sale” thing ended up just being a mix up, but that’s rather disappointing, if you ask me. SFMM really needs to unload this one.

Speaking of closures…

Hey X! California Screamin’ removed and replaced its loop in 3 days!...how’s that lift coming along? More like 3 months, eh?!

…just kidding…it’s been over 4 now.

Goliath was also down for a bit today. Not all day though.

…so was Orient Express. I’m so disappointed in you, Corey!

…Yea, the Orient Express broke down, both funiculars loaded and stuck about 150 feet from either station. After the refurb the cars received one speaker, both of which have already been punched out by punks. I wonder how contacting these stranded passengers went.

But no evacs until the supervisor arrives!

…ok…that was a jab! My bad! I didn’t mean too! Disregard everything I just said after the Goliath picture up to here.

And yet some more!....

SFMM’s ‘volunteer’ program. Shame they couldn’t get them at least a temporary shirt or something.

Shapiro’s family plans seem to be working well.

*sigh*

Conclusion

I thought this movie-title is a rather appropriate synopsis of SFMM as a whole!

You know, I can be honest with you—I made a lot of cheap jabs at SFMM in this update. So I need to be fair here for a second. I went to the park the past two weekends, in a row, and I had a really nice time! The park was clean, operations were decent, and most, if not all of the rides were open on time (except for the select few SBNOs, X, and rain-related closures). That’s way more than I can say about my recent trips to Knotts!

The truth of the matter is—SFMM simply isn’t capable of operating well under the stresses of the peak-season, from June-October. It’s during this time that more employees leave than hire in. And when you combine this steady decrease in staffing with the decrease in morale (even among the management), you get a decrease in training and supervision. That’s why I have personally seen nothing but a steady decline in “quality” from June-October.

But now that the peak season is over, the park has begun its uphill climb, or so it would seem. Staffing is beginning to even out (especially with the local schools out again), the crowds have recessed, and everything is just calming down…the calm after the storm, if you will. And I’m sure my fellow locals can be fair and attest to that. Now, I don’t really want to make this call too prematurely, but I do believe that things will improve over the coming months.

It will just be interesting to see if they can keep it that way, as they honestly haven’t been able to in the past years.

So best of luck to them.

That should do it for this update! Thanks for reading! I appreciate it!

-Jahan (arrowfanman@yahoo.com)

But now that the peak season is over, the park has begun its uphill climb, or so it would seem. Staffing is beginning to even out (especially with the local schools out again), the crowds have recessed, and everything is just calming down…the calm after the storm, if you will. And I’m sure my fellow locals can be fair and attest to that. Now, I don’t really want to make this call too prematurely, but I do believe that things will improve over the coming months.

Werd. This is the time of year when I always get my visits in, because frankly, it's the only time it's worth it. The crowds, staffing issues, and pretty much every problem that goes along with them are non-existant. Rainy days are the best, as long as one doesn't drive all the way up there to find a flashing sign proclaiming "SIX FLAGS MAGIC MOUNTAIN WILL BE CLOSED TODAY DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER! HAVE A NICE DRIVE HOME, IDIOT!"

Heh. I'm on my way up there now.

I highly doubt the rumour of the ride actually moving is false. Remember, they dont just set the footers down into the ground 20 or 30 ft. Those things are drilled WAY down. The ride Im sure was not in danger, however, the path probably was.

That retaining wall looks to be alot more for the pathway than the ride. If any part of that rides supports moves, it would yank something else out of whack. Im sure they were well aware that the soil around it couldnt be depended upon to hold the supports up.

Nice update. Glad to see SFMM is on the uphill climb it deserves.

Just thought I should point out that today the pathway from the Rapids area to Samurai Summit has reopened.

_six

Woohoo! That path is more helpful than one may think, especially on crowded days (just like the Revy shortcut)!

Secondly, people said the same thing about the park a few months before Tatsu opened. And around June, the ship sank. Fast.

I think I was one of the people who said something.. and quite honestly, operations ARE better, IMHO, in the winter and spring (before spring break). Before I started going in the summer just to get a Tatsu fix, I used to just go in March or April, mid-week (don't steal my secret, thanks). The park was empty, and even if there were some lines, multiple trains were run on EVERYTHING, resulting on walk-ons the whole day. (Aside from the fact that the staff was apparently so bored by the lack of guests that they seemed to be interested in their job... no offense, Jahan/Mike/etc.).

The ship didn't sink, at least for me; I just don't go during peak season because of the exact reasons posted on the last page.

Glad to see SFMM is on the uphill climb it deserves.

Few things first...

Firstly, a park doesn't deserve an uphill climb. It has to earn it.

Secondly, people said the same thing about the park a few months before Tatsu opened. And around June, the ship sank. Fast.

Dude..your retarded. Jahan describes and shows how the park is going "Uphill". He describes that the park has been clean...operations have been running rather smooth (Im a Witness!) and overall the park has been doing VERY well! Tatsu has nothing to do with the park going uphill or down. Its a matter of operations. I was there two weekends ago..Tatsu was running both sides, dispatching full trains, and they were running two-three trains.

So I really dont understand what your trying to say....

-Ryan

^Hey Ryan, don't be obnoxious.

He has a total valid point!

Yes the park was 'improved' but just like Jahan said, one of the reasons it's improved is because no one is there!!!!

Sorry you don't get it Ryan...maybe it's cause you're fresnonian.

BTW, if YOU'RE going to say someone is retarded, you might want to use the correct YOU'RE.

^Hey Ryan, don't be obnoxious.

He has a total valid point!

Yes the park was 'improved' but just like Jahan said, one of the reasons it's improved is because no one is there!!!!

Sorry you don't get it Ryan...maybe it's cause you're fresnonian.

BTW, if YOU'RE going to say someone is retarded, you might want to use the correct YOU'RE.

Eh, Im just too White to Spell. But as for SFMM...True, No one is in the park...BUT the way I see it is that its now a good time for them to really step up their game. And the reason why I was being so obnoxious was the fact that I feel as though he wasnt really reading what Jahan was saying. But you corrected me...much appreciated!

Just, since ive been visiting it lately...I have been able to kinda see the improvements throughout the park. Fast Dispatch...etc. But it probablly is just because of the off-season. Hoepfully they can get their act together, fix management, etc..Six Flags Magic Mountain can see better days...

-Ryan "I Even bought a Season Pass... *sigh*" King

EDIT-: But Yeah, About Tasu. SFMM shouldve been prepared for heavier crowds due to the opening of a new coaster..hopefully since this last season, they saw thier faults..and hopefully theyll correct them.

Amanda, I completley agree with you in regards to ride ops not being as enthusiastic during the months that the park is empty. (Considering that most SFMM ride ops aren't very enthusiastic to begin with) Just going by personal experience, I find it much easier to move through the day with a packed ride, and you always having to move around, interacting with guests, and just finding a rhythm to work with. And by rhythm I mean work ethic not the current playlist on your ipod.

_six

Putting a retaining wall up where it is to protect the path isn't a bad idea. However, I'm surprised there is no backfill behind the wall. I realize that it would be a royal PITA to backfill a retaining wall in that location, but without backfill, that wall isn't very stable.

Paul "Soil Mechanics II" Miller

I'm a little late on this one because I don't chose to follow SFMM religiously (although that's not a knock on your updates Jahan...well done, indeed). I had not even realized that Tatsu was in "peril." And since I am not well versed on the following subject, I'm just gonna plead ignorance up front.

This question is for the true engineer types, and manufacturer afficionados. In Tatsu's case, *if* something had gone drastically wrong, or *still* goes drastically wrong with the footing after the retaining wall is created and backfilled, who assumes ultimate responsibility for that undersight? Would B&M not be somewhat liable for not conducting proper research such as soil samples, and possible seismic activity results? I've never thought to actually inquire about who's responsible for what in a coaster's development.

In talking with Walter Bolliger at Goliath's media day at SFOG, one thing he mentioned was how excited they were to work with unique terrain. And thinking of that is what made me wonder about SFMM's unique situation regarding mudslides and quakes. Maybe some of you could shed some light on this subject. In other words, after a company is contracted to design and build a coaster for a park, what steps are followed in determining the coaster's footprint in said park? And beyond that, as I said, who is ultimately liable should anything short of a major natural disaster occur....especially in Tatsu's situation?

BeemerBoy-: You make a very good point. The way I see it, IM NOT AN EXPERT, BUT, with that in mind, I would think that people who surveyed the land would be the ones to get busted. They must not have done a well enough job at predicting what this Mountain is capable of.

And on that note, when Tatsu's lifthill starts sliding..you better believe Ill be there to watch it happen!

-Ryan

^Take video, man. When that thing collapses, my Tatsu-fanboy friend is gonna feel like he just hit with a baseball bat, and then go emo. All without knowing what really happened...I mean, I really like the ride and want nothing to happen to it.....but still, it'd be interesting to watch it fall in action.

EDIT: I think that it would be both of thier fault. The land surveyors put the ride in the wrong place, but B&M built it, so in a way, they should have to ride under a certain type of "warranty" for the first two years. Like Ryan said, about himself, I am not an expert wither, those are just my thoughts.

~Mike[/i]

Putting a retaining wall up where it is to protect the path isn't a bad idea. However, I'm surprised there is no backfill behind the wall. I realize that it would be a royal PITA to backfill a retaining wall in that location, but without backfill, that wall isn't very stable.

Well if you think about it, if they were to have it filled with soil, etc, then if the whole mountain collapsed, then all of the dirt and stuff from the mountain would slide right over the wall, because it will have already been filled with soil. But if there isn't anything there, then if the mountain collapses, all of the stuff fills up behind the wall and doesn't kill some innocent Tatsu riders. Now if the wall isn't strong enough to hold a landslide of Tatsu soil, then the people who just rode Tatsu and happen to be walking by are in trouble, because not only will they be buried alive in soil, but they'll have bricks on them too.

I think the wall is a good idea overall. Hopefully they won't need it ever and it'll just be there as a precaution.