TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

My husband and I were there last night (from about 3 pm to close), and were NOT impressed. Every time we've been this year, the operations keep getting more and more horrible.

The first thing we rode was Tatsu with Flash Pass. Tatsu was using only one side of the station and 2 trains, which still meant 5-7 minute dispatches. Took us about 25 minutes to get on, including about a 5 minute period where the employees were arguing about why the phone wasn't working or something, over the PA, no less.

From there it pretty much went downhill. The park was sort of crowded (from what we could see, we counted a fat-kid camp and like 2 church groups), not to mention the countless high school kids that got dropped off by someone's parents. Now, this wouldn't usually be too much of a problem, but with the way the park was being run, we only managed to get on 6 rides: Tatsu, Goldrusher (1 train operation), Batman twice(which was empty for some reason), Scream! (1 train but by then everyone was waiting for either Goliath, Riddler, Tatsu or the mazes so it was a short wait), and Goliath.

Goliath had one of the longest lines I'd seen (waaay into the switchbacks). So we wasted a Flash Pass, got up into the station, and guess what?

1 train. On a Friday night. At 8:30.

We wait through about 5 or 6 trains, then guess what?

THEY FREAKING PUT ANOTHER TRAIN ON! Why would they do that if the park's closing in an hour and a half? They should have done it earlier in the afternoon... WTF?

I leave you with a list of closed rides, half of which weren't on the list at the ticket booths (this is ridiculous).

Atom Smasher

Buccaneer

Circus Wheel (I didn't see it testing, but it's put back together)

Flashback (for the sake of continuity)

Freefall

Jet Stream: We tried to get on at 4pm(!) and they were closed

Ninja

Orient Express

Scrambler

Sierra Twist

EDIT: Spin Out was closed too. Whoops.

Swashbuckler

Tidal Wave

X: still busted

Don't know about Deja Vu or Psyclone as I didn't go over to that area of the park.

Oh, and we went in 2 mazes: Jokesters Hideout (which at no point were we offered to buy 3D glasses), and Willoughby's Mansion. Both were ok.

Sorry about the length, but the amount of closed rides really cheesed me off. Boy, when X is closed, does this park stink.

Maybe we'll go again in December. Until then, I hope SFMM starts to get their act together (hahaha).

Sorry to hear things are still in such bad shape for MM, I would have hoped that the GM of Magic Mountain would really have tried to solve some of the problems that the park faces especially at such a time when the company is thinking of getting rid of the park, Oh well. Sad that they could not get the park running at least properly for the Friday the 13th media day no less! Geeez. I tried calling the park and after about 5 rings someone picked up the phone and then just hung it up, this happened three times. Sad. Very very sad.

On that note is there any unconfirmed inside information on if/when X will be back in service?

I sure would like to have at least one last season of Tatsu and X rides before we find out what the future holds for the park.

It is really tragic to see how operations have been at SFMM this summer; things seemed to be going pretty well up to and including Tatsu's opening, but this has not been one of their better seasons, in my opinion. It's bad enough that they have had all the issues with X this season (running with one train operation for a great deal of the summer and then having it closed now for almost two months), but the past couple of times I have been, they have had serious operations issues with Tatsu as well as not so good operations elsewhere in the park. As a result, I have not been to SFMM as much this year; I have used my Knott's pass twice as much this season and even though they don't have as many coasters, nine times out of ten when I go there, all of them are open and running efficiently and park operations are a lot smoother overall (at least in my experience).

I'm still going to get an Xtreme Pass for 2007, but I am really hoping that either the current management will fix some of the issues that are wrong or the park is in fact sold to another company who will make some needed improvements. I'd just like to see them get Tatsu running as efficiently as it was when it first opened and get X running consistently with two trains-in my opinion, they should just work with S&S and take the time to improve the trains based on the modifications they made for the ones for Eejanaika.

Regardless of whether SF keeps the park or not, whoever is running it in 2007-it would be great to see them really step it up next year and fix all the things that need to be fixed. Don't worry about new rides, coasters, or attractions; they already have a great collection of coasters. It's kind of depressing to see a place that has such good potential go downhill like it has over the past few months.....

I was up at the mountain today. Tatsu was two train/one side operation all day. It was at the point where the flashpass line was at the bottom of the exit ramp. All operating coasters were running two trains, except Goldrusher and Psyclone(as the other two trains are operating on Colossus). Most rides that were closed Friday, but opened today:

Atom Smasher-operating

Buccaneer-operating

Circus Wheel-operating

Flashback-closed

Freefall-closed

Jet Stream-closed

Ninja-closed

Orient Express-testing

Psyclone-operating

Scrambler-operating

Sierra Twist-closed

Swashbuckler-opened

Tidal Wave-closed

X: still down

Overall not a bad day, but there has been much, much better.

Stupid Six Flags.

BTW- Did you happen to notice if Sky Tower was open? A few times I've seen the elevator going up or down, but I haven't been up there latley to see if its open or not.

_six

I really didn't notice (I think I was more cheesed off about Ninja being closed than thinking about the tower). But with how much stuff was closed when I was there, it was probably down as well.

My husband and I were there last night (from about 3 pm to close), and were NOT impressed. Every time we've been this year, the operations keep getting more and more horrible.

The first thing we rode was Tatsu with Flash Pass. Tatsu was using only one side of the station and 2 trains, which still meant 5-7 minute dispatches. Took us about 25 minutes to get on, including about a 5 minute period where the employees were arguing about why the phone wasn't working or something, over the PA, no less.

That's really sad! Idiot-morons! How unprofessional. Nobody wants to hear about why the phone doesn't work and to waste everyone's time by arguing about it is just plain stupid! It's pathetic how these crews are running Tatsu into the ground.

"flashback-closed

Freefall-closed

Jet Stream-closed

Ninja-closed

Orient Express-testing (but closed

Sierra Twist-closed

Tidal Wave-closed

X: still down

they really need to get these rides up and running again.

i personally hope that they sell this park to another amusement park company. because obviously six flags is more concerned with giving sharpio a raise instead of using the money to fix their park.

but i will say this: if X is not fixed by the end of the season, then i consider six flags magic mountain to be dead.

i personally hope that they sell this park to another amusement park company. because obviously six flags is more concerned with giving sharpio a raise instead of using the money to fix their park.

but i will say this: if X is not fixed by the end of the season, then i consider six flags magic mountain to be dead.

I won't consider the park to be dead if they don't have X back up and running by the end of the season, but I would consider sending a letter to corporate about it. That ride is one of the reasons I keep renewing my pass every year and it irks me when I go and it's either closed or running one train in the peak of the season.

I agree on the "giving Shapiro a raise" part. I was never a fan of Shapiro; in my opinion, he has a vision to take SF to the other extreme and exclude thrillseekers the way that the old management excluded some families by failing to offer a well rounded park with a good balance of family attractions and instead buying up property like mad and adding coaster after coaster. Not only that, he talks a good game in regards to improving the parks but has not seemed to deliver anything but higher prices, corporate sponsorships and a few parades over the long term.

I'm actually hoping they sell it to Busch. Not so they can get a Dive Machine , but because Busch does seem to know how to balance a park so that both thrillseekers and families are happy, make intelligent financial decisions about running a park, and do those little things that really do make the difference.

The crazy thing is, why on earth would so many attractions be closed on a big deal media day? My guess is they just do not have the trained staff to run those attractions and the mazes, due to very low pay and only very part time work there is only so many employees willing to work there on a Friday. I just cannot understand how on earth the current MM manager is still running this park? He might be a nice guy but I have never in my life seen a business run so poorly for so long. It just does not make any sense.

The crazy thing is, why on earth would so many attractions be closed on a big deal media day? My guess is they just do not have the trained staff to run those attractions and the mazes, due to very low pay and only very part time work there is only so many employees willing to work there on a Friday. I just cannot understand how on earth the current MM manager is still running this park? He might be a nice guy but I have never in my life seen a business run so poorly for so long. It just does not make any sense.

yep its horrendous... the reason for most of those rides being down is because SFMM dosnt have the employees to run them, like in the case of tatsu which could use the other side of the station but because there isnt enough workers they only use 1 station. Friday was the worst ive seen it in a while as far as rides operating, usually at my ride tidal wave theres 6 people to run scrambler, sandblasters & tidal wave. Instead i was the only one there and i was running sandblasters. management and SFMM is the main problem, o and uninspired workers who dont care about guests at all.

They were testing OE all of a sudden it stopped before going halfway. I then heard the op telling the op at the merry go round that it got stuck again

Huh, nice update! Glad to hear OE and Circus Wheel are both operating. Colossus racing!? That was in my top 5 "Never going to happen again" at SFMM. Looks as if you guys had a decent time at the mountain. Too bad that X closure sign didn't have the ghetto "Thanks" on it.

_six

Thanks Mr. Six for that. At least i know for sure, i'm gonna miss that credit. Well, fortunately i already have my flashback credit.

If any of you peeps are gonna be there on the 27th, lemme know and maybe we can meet for lunch or something.

Ed