TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

This is despicable. I've been holding out for another winter of Mountain Nirvana Weekends, where all the rides were running with no lines, the employees were thick across the park, and riding Psyclone was like tumbling down a slip n' slide soaked with KY and laid across an enormous babys bottom. After Fright Fest, will they even bother keeping the park open for weekend hours?

^I believe that the park has gone downhill since I went in May. I heard the press conference for Tatsu and all the hype Shapiro was spewing about improving magic mountain, and I agree it looks like it was just a sound byte to impress the media. The Good PR only holds out so long, though. You have to actually deliver on the promises. I honestly think Six Flags has lost it's sense of direction, what little they had, and the management is confused and overwhelmed with all the problems. I saw this a couple years ago at PKI, and the park was sold shortly after. Perhaps a sale would be beneficial for SFMM, who knows? Time (And These updates ) will tell.

-James Dillaman

^ Wow, quite poetic. Hehe

What year was that picture of Revolution taken?

I think it had to be taken in the summer of 76. That was the year it opened. Colosus is nowhere to be seen in the background and the Mountain Express was still standing.

I love the way it is all shiny and white. Man that was a great coaster back when it first opened.

Wonderful update, eventhough it took a million years to load over my dialup!

I think it's pretty dumb to paint those handrails at Tatsu. Do they not know that people will deface them, and the paint will wear out? Why not have bare metal railings? That seems like so much less money and maintenance in the long run!

It is a good sign that so many rides seem to have activity around them. Maybe they are aiming for everything to be open by high season next year.

-Julie

My understanding is that prior to Anaconda, Giovanola designed/built certain rides sold through Intamin. Then they went out on their own and failed.

From my contact at Intamin (No, I won't tell you who it is...): The Space Diver was indeed designed by B&M when they worked for Intamin while working with Werner Stengel (since he came up with the original concept for the Space Diver after all). When it came time for the ride to be built, they used Giovanola (which was a sub-contractor to Intamin at the time) to fabricate and build the ride after they sold it to Six Flags.

There are no other Space Divers anywhere else in the world, despite the rumor of another one sitting in a warehouse somewhere in the Midwest (or wherever the hell the rumor has it now).

Someone at SFMM talked to Intamin a couple of years ago about "refreshing" the ride; it never worked out, but it did lead to the Goliath wheel program that was very short lived (obviously). However, no contact has been made since then, despite the fact that Intamin is very eager to help out, due to the fact that this is the only Space Diver in existence.

Oh yeah, the original design was actually have it be an indoor ride, but SF didn't want to spend the money to make indoors, and they designed it to be an outdoor ride.

Ok, that's all I know. I'd like to thank ****** at Intamin for all of the awesome info, and I'd like to thank my Dad for giving me the phone number for said person. It's not everyday you come across a find like that...

My understanding is that prior to Anaconda, Giovanola designed/built certain rides sold through Intamin. Then they went out on their own and failed.

From my contact at Intamin (No, I won't tell you who it is...): The Space Diver was indeed designed by B&M when they worked for Intamin while working with Werner Stengel (since he came up with the original concept for the Space Diver after all). When it came time for the ride to be built, they used Giovanola (which was a sub-contractor to Intamin at the time) to fabricate and build the ride after they sold it to Six Flags.

There are no other Space Divers anywhere else in the world, despite the rumor of another one sitting in a warehouse somewhere in the Midwest (or wherever the hell the rumor has it now).

Someone at SFMM talked to Intamin a couple of years ago about "refreshing" the ride; it never worked out, but it did lead to the Goliath wheel program that was very short lived (obviously). However, no contact has been made since then, despite the fact that Intamin is very eager to help out, due to the fact that this is the only Space Diver in existence.

Oh yeah, the original design was actually have it be an indoor ride, but SF didn't want to spend the money to make indoors, and they designed it to be an outdoor ride.

Ok, that's all I know. I'd like to thank ****** at Intamin for all of the awesome info, and I'd like to thank my Dad for giving me the phone number for said person. It's not everyday you come across a find like that...

Thanks so much for this info! As most know on these boards, I have a weird fetish for the Intamin Space Diver. I love that 'back adjusting torture machine', and I hope it's saved.

i do hope they make some improvements/upgrades in the park during days that it is closed

things i would like to see:

-all trash cleaned up

-Goliath, X, and Viper painted

-X fixed

-Orient Express Fixed

-Freefall Fixed

-Random buildings that are falling apart fixed

-TATSU RAILINGS REPAINTED!

-Tatsu getting a perminate crew that know what they're doing.

and much more.

Haha. Good call on the "much much more" part. The things you listed shouldn't even be priority. Goliath, X, and Viper painted?

Ninja and Gold Rusher should be first in line for a new coat of paint...

Thanks so much for this info! As most know on these boards, I have a weird fetish for the Intamin Space Diver. I love that 'back adjusting torture machine', and I hope it's saved.

No problem, but I think I have you beat in terms of the Space Diver "fetish"...I actually requested to be the lead there, and was there for an entire season (well, fall and winter).

About the Intamin Space Diver in storage. Back in the day when I was running my website I was able to confirm (with some decent sources) that the ride does exist, and if I recall is currently somewhere in Europe. However please remember that it's been many years since I learned this information and can't reveal my sources since to be honest, I don't remember them.

On a different subject as far as the park is concerned. I really think it's time that Magic Mountain return to the basics. I've seen a few of you posting about painting rides, but at this moment peeling paint is the least of the parks problems. I'm personally still waiting for the park to replace the Revolution trains, doesn't mean it'll happen but it'd be nice. The parks biggest problem at this point I believe is gross under staffing and lack of a general budget. The park has to fix the little problems before they can touch the big ones.

i do hope they make some improvements/upgrades in the park during days that it is closed

things i would like to see:

-all trash cleaned up

-Goliath, X, and Viper painted

-X fixed

-Orient Express Fixed

-Freefall Fixed

-Random buildings that are falling apart fixed

-TATSU RAILINGS REPAINTED!

-Tatsu getting a perminate crew that know what they're doing.

and much more.

Haha. Good call on the "much much more" part. The things you listed shouldn't even be priority. Goliath, X, and Viper painted?

Ninja and Gold Rusher should be first in line for a new coat of paint...

yeah, i was actually thinking goliath and x mostly because those are two of the first rides you see from the freeway. and x is the first ride you see when coming up magic mountain parkway.

^Yeah, but at least Goliath and X are still fairly their original colors (especially X; I mean, it's only 3 years old).

Ninja is freaking PINK (originally red). It seriously needs paint. I don't really see that Gold Rusher needs it; possibly. I haven't really paid attention to that one. Scream is starting to fade a little... and all the buildings in the park that haven't been redone could use an upgrade like those in Rapids Camp Crossing.

-Amanda "On second thought, just repaint everything, it needs it" V.

You can't see most of Goldrusher, that's why I think SFMM hasn't painted it for a while. Regarding Ninja, if SFMM doesn't paint it they have some serious problems. I almost refuse to look at the actual track because it is so ugly. Another thing they need to think about is the TVs. Either get them working or take them out because they are a real eyesore.

---Brent