TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

23 hours ago, AmyUD06 said:

I wouldn't trust any prediction about any Six Flags park's calendar, even what they've posted, at this point.

I've learned not to trust the posted hours the day of... for years they started closing the park at a drop of rain during the week.  They would say the weather wasn't safe, but really its "oh well, we ain't gonna make enough money today so shut down and send everyone home." 

Not to trust pretty much anything about a SF, sadly.  They have so many good people, they just don't know how to train them correctly.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 7:00 PM, SoCalJasonland said:

I was thinking about driving out to MM in a couple of weeks.  Are this many of the thrill rides closed on a holiday weekend with good weather?  Only 9 of 17 or 53% of the thrill rides are open.  I can't imagine how bad it could be on non-holiday Thursday.  

1757960522_sfmmrideclosures.thumb.jpg.6a0f19d90f1cd4084cd2c3ec1f57b4db.jpgimage.png.9ca204225a062041464f5df9a48b3264.png

Go to Knott's or Disneyland. Our visit this park in September was the worst visit I've ever had to any park in the world except for maybe La Ronde. They had like 4 coasters open for the first 4 hours of the day, then they opened maybe 4 more for the last few hours. Weather was not the issue, they just aggressively don't care this year, even more than normal which is saying a lot for Magic Mountain.

I can't ever remember a time where this park was being operated this badly and it's always operated badly.

• Like 1

I don't know if Knott's is really much better. It may be the lesser of two evils, but honestly, our last visit to Knott's was worse than SFMM. The crews were far slower, horrid capacity on everything (mega-stacking on Silver Bullet, Ghostride is insanity with how poor the crews are, etc...). I mean, some of the worst Cedar Fair operations I have experienced at any of their parks both visits. Employee's also looked completely miserable, everywhere. Complete opposite of SFMM, believe it or not, who had energetic crews having fun. It was night and day difference. You would have thought it would be the opposite.

I dunno, neither are great for different reasons. Disneyland obviously will be best operation wise, but uh, it's Disney. So...

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 11:14 AM, Invertalon said:

I don't know if Knott's is really much better. It may be the lesser of two evils, but honestly, our last visit to Knott's was worse than SFMM. The crews were far slower, horrid capacity on everything (mega-stacking on Silver Bullet, Ghostride is insanity with how poor the crews are, etc...). I mean, some of the worst Cedar Fair operations I have experienced at any of their parks both visits. Employee's also looked completely miserable, everywhere. Complete opposite of SFMM, believe it or not, who had energetic crews having fun. It was night and day difference. You would have thought it would be the opposite.

I dunno, neither are great for different reasons. Disneyland obviously will be best operation wise, but uh, it's Disney. So...

I have no idea WHEN you went to Knotts, but I have never had a bad day there. I went twice this October during KSF daytime and had zero issues. Even with the night time crowds, nothing like you described.

On 12/2/2022 at 7:07 AM, pianojohn said:

I have no idea WHEN you went to Knotts, but I have never had a bad day there. I went twice this October during KSF daytime and had zero issues. Even with the night time crowds, nothing like you described.

Most recent visit was Feb of this year. My previous visit a couple years ago was much better. Not sure what was up, but it certainly felt nothing like a CF park in regards to staffing/operations. 

As far as SFMM, which we have been to three times now the past few years, overall the experiences have been really good. The park is always really clean, staff is friendly. The big issue is ride downtime/maintenance, more than anything. Things are just constantly going down, especially our last visit... Oh, and X2 being closed 2/3 of those visits all day. But we also go off-peak times, so I have not seen that park with a decent sized crowd, so I have only experienced SFMM when it's practically dead. 

I don't know the financials, but I don't fault them for closing on weekdays when the park was dead. Yeah, it was fun for us (back when the park used to kind-of-care and open things) but they are a business.

What I do have a problem with is closing 2/3 of the rides on the days where they are open and charging people over $100 for one day between parking and admission.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, NYTrojan said:

Question:  We are considering a trip over winter break, maybe Wednesday the 28th.  Just how bad a crowd can we expect?

You can expect it to be packed.  According to the crowd calendar, that whole week is in the red:

https://www.isitpacked.com/crowd-calendars/six-flags-magic-mountain

2 minutes ago, NYTrojan said:

is isitpacked fairly accurate for Magic Mountain?  I've found it wildly inaccurate for Universal and Disneyland

I think it's safe to assume that all theme parks will be packed during winter break, so I would recommend getting flash pass for your visit.

28 minutes ago, NYTrojan said:

is isitpacked fairly accurate for Magic Mountain?  I've found it wildly inaccurate for Universal and Disneyland

Queue-Times.com is also showing that entire week to be packed.  Which will be super-fun when half of the major rides are closed for "reasons."  I'd save your ticket, Flash Pass, and gas money and do literally anything else.

• Like 1

I went on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving (11/23) and I would say about half of the coasters were closed. The list of closed rides included Riddler, Scream, Superman, Wonder Woman for about half the day, Goliath, Full Throttle, Viper about half the day, and Ninja.

The only rides running consistently all day with at least two train operation were Tatsu, Twisted Colossus, West Coast Racers, and Gold Rusher. And surprisingly Lex Luthor, CraZanity, and all the flats were running fine too.

Coasterbill hit the nail on the head. If you need to close during the week during the off season (especially considering their volume of coasters and rides to maintain compared to every other SoCal park), so be it. But open most (if not all) of your rides when you're open, and when you're charging an arm and a leg for admission and parking now.

Six Flags was totally killing it through the pandemic the last couple years and we were all laughing at Cedar Fair, and it feels like the total opposite now.

• Like 3

On 12/6/2022 at 10:44 AM, NYTrojan said:

The park often hits capacity during the week between Christmas and New Year's. I second everyone else's advice to skip it that week.

4 hours ago, joelwee said:

The park often hits capacity during the week between Christmas and New Year's. I second everyone else's advice to skip it that week.

Yeah, that week is slammed at all the SoCal parks. The week leading up to Xmas, though — not so much. I seem to recall marathoning West Coast Racers with you on Xmas eve I think it was? It was that week when the ride first opened.

I'm amazed SFMM got away with the low season pass pricing and "open all day" business for as long as they did. I took advantage of that for years and would often go for a few hours during the week and crush the place. When I first transferred my work to Texas, I recall hearing that SFFT was a "year round" park but I had a very different perspective on what that meant. 

Whatever's going on with the company right now, I hope they make it out the other side. I may end up skipping a pass this year for likely the first time in a decade.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...