TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Does this seem normal? I started my membership in August 2019 and have paid every month since including every month through the pandemic. I realized it because I changed debit cards and they started hitting me up for payment. Weren’t we supposed to get free months for the Pandemic months paid!?!?

F732F8D7-EF33-4853-9846-71A44614C62B.png

40 minutes ago, Animal said:

Does this seem normal? I started my membership in August 2019 and have paid every month since including every month through the pandemic. I realized it because I changed debit cards and they started hitting me up for payment. Weren’t we supposed to get free months for the Pandemic months paid!?!?

It is my understanding that they gave gift cards for the amount you lost during the  months the parks were closed.  Nothing was mailed out and I believe you had to stand in line at the park to redeem.  I never bothered to redeem mine and I don't know if the dates have expired to get the gift card.  You could always ask the park or maybe someone in the forum knows.  I tried to search and found little:

Links to current website:

https://www.sixflags.com/discoveryKingdom/plan-your-visit/coronavirus-update

https://www.sixflags.com/sp-faq/can-i-exchange-my-bonus-months-for-a-gift-card-at-any-open-park-if-my-home-park-is-closed

This is from an email they sent me:

"Jason, Exchange your Bonus Membership Months for a Six Flags Gift Card

Inbox

Six Flags Magic Mountain <sixflagsmagicmountain@email.sixflags.com> Unsubscribe

Sat, Aug 21, 2021, 5:21 PM

to me

View this email as a web page

Now you can exchange your 13 bonus Membership months for a $72.54 Six Flags gift card!

Dear Jason,

Last year we told you that you'd receive one "bonus month" of Membership for each month you paid your monthly fees while Six Flags Magic Mountain was closed. Many of you asked for a way to receive your value without having to cancel first.

You now have the option to exchange your 13 bonus months for a $72.54 Six Flags gift card. There is no additional cost or fees for making this exchange, and your gift card will never expire. The card can be used to buy Six Flags tickets, food or merchandise at any Six Flags park in the USA.

How To Get Your Six Flags Gift Card

Only the account holder (the person who signed the original contract) can pick up the card.

Make sure your Membership account is up-to-date.

Bring your government-issued picture ID with you to the park.

Visit Member Services on your next visit.

Exchanging your months for a gift card is OPTIONAL. If you prefer to use your bonus months to extend the length of your Membership no action is required on your part: your bonus months will automatically activate after you cancel your Membership.

Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Member Services

SLIGHTLY SMALLER PRINT: Your account must be active and up to date in order to receive a gift card. Cancelled Memberships do not qualify. Only COVID bonus months may be exchanged for a gift card. Once the exchange is complete, your gift card cannot be converted back into bonus months. Only the account holder may exchange months for a gift card. Gift cards are accepted at most food venues, retail venues, games, and other attractions at the park. Six Flags gift cards are usable up to balance only to buy goods or services at participating Six Flags locations in the U.S. For a list of Six Flags restaurant and shops that do not accept this card, visit http://sixflags.com/gift-card-terms.

We care about your privacy. We will protect your personal information in accordance with our privacy policy. Our address is Six Flags Entertainment Corp. 1000 Ballpark Way Suite 400 Arlington, TX, 76011, USA."

6 hours ago, coastercoaster5 said:

Trip Report 7.17.22.  First Impressions of WW:FOC

Got into the park at 5:30pm yesterday. Headed straight to WW:FOC and the inside queue was full but that's it. Took about 17 minutes to get on.

The locker situation is not *terrible*, just pretty bad, and is also very ugly IMO. The slight attempt at theming is fine, but again the rest of the mess is a bad look. The locker situation is also set up for people to easily cut back to the front of the line after getting off which is a shame. The loading platform itself is pretty cool though with the moving trains. 

I believe the locker situation is now better because they added a free cubbies as an option.  Sounds like it's speeding things up considerably.

1 hour ago, Animal said:

You should have been given the OPTION to pause payments during the pandemic in an email the park sent out.  If you didn't request it, they kept the payments going.  In exchange, you got updated to a "Diamond Elite VIP", which gives a total of 4 FOL passes per visit and I believe bigger discounts.  And as noted above, they were offering gift cards for the value, but you have to get it in person.  Mine was for about $256, but do note they can't be used for any sort of online purchases... so that limits it to mostly merch and food (non-mobile order, as last I checked, they don't have a way to upload a gift card into the mobile ordering app), though you can also get Flashpass or Hurricane Harbor cabanas... it just has to be done in person the day of purchase.

These are the “cubbies.”  It looks like they just stole employee lockers and threw them out there to try and help…except they just means more people grabbing stuff from the extremely cramped hallway.

Trying to reuse the green lantern building was a terrible idea. Even something like the larger rubber trash cans they use now don’t even properly fit (the one they had in the queue blocks the switchback) and if certainly wasn’t a good idea to turn what was formerly the split point for loading into an entrance and exit.

I’ll second the comments the whole thing is remarkably “six flags.”  It’s not paint on the ground, it’s the former queue railing of green lantern filled in that they just chopped off and sanded down and didn’t re-surface over. You can still see some survey markings on the ground too. There’s exposed wiring for the fire alarm system that isn’t inside conduit. The exit route is a mess of construction and lack of signage. The presumably future gift shops is a structure and not much else. The round up doesn’t have a sign on its entrance yet. The new perimeter walls aren’t painted.  There’s no shade at all.

The ride itself is a lot of fun. I enjoyed the back row much more. Thankfully only waited like 10 min each time, since the crew wasn’t messing up the moving loading.

E9548FDB-6A4E-4D32-8D3E-5F976DC1CEBF.jpeg

On 7/16/2022 at 10:22 AM, CedarFlags said:

Extra weird thing - The entrance and exit of Batman have switched so that Batman and WW can share one exit path.  Except there was no sign, so we walked off WW directly into the Batman queue and kept going onto the ride.  Wasn't a big issue in the moment since there was virtually no line, but that better get fixed quickly before fights start about people cutting the line.

I missed the passholder preview last Friday (got stuck late at work) and ran into the opposite problem when I rode Batman. There were no signs indicating the exit path, so I and several other people followed the pathway and ended up in the WW queue. A couple of teenagers tried to sneak into the WW line but got caught by a security guard.

On 7/18/2022 at 8:14 PM, ryder said:

I believe the locker situation is now better because they added a free cubbies as an option.  Sounds like it's speeding things up considerably.

You should have been given the OPTION to pause payments during the pandemic in an email the park sent out.  If you didn't request it, they kept the payments going.  In exchange, you got updated to a "Diamond Elite VIP", which gives a total of 4 FOL passes per visit and I believe bigger discounts.  And as noted above, they were offering gift cards for the value, but you have to get it in person.  Mine was for about $256, but do note they can't be used for any sort of online purchases... so that limits it to mostly merch and food (non-mobile order, as last I checked, they don't have a way to upload a gift card into the mobile ordering app), though you can also get Flashpass or Hurricane Harbor cabanas... it just has to be done in person the day of purchase.

My other question is, does the pass just go on forever until you cancel it? I thought I had a 12 month membership yet they’ve been charging me for almost 3 years now…

On 7/28/2022 at 8:06 AM, Rai Fox said:

Season passes are one year.  Memberships are indefinite, until you cancel them.

And they don't offer the memberships anymore, so I would hold onto it until Six Flags gets rid of them.  I certainly plan on holding onto my membership as it's better and cheaper than the current season pass offerings.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 10:00 PM, ryder said:

That's why I only do pockets with closures when I visit them parks.  Never have lost anything yet.

Yes! These days it's my debit card, season pass, and car fob ONLY (no wallet or housekeys) in my back pockets with a button or a zipper, with my phone and un-sunglasses (for dark rides) ready to be put in the ride cubbies or on-car pouches. SFOT is good like that and doesn't push ride lockers anymore.

On 8/6/2022 at 3:29 PM, thrillseeker4552 said:

Anyone know if X2 is still running one train? I'll be at the park next Saturday. During my last two visits in April and December it was running one train and had a miserable line.

It is back to running 2 trains daily now

Finally got back to the Mountain yesterday and got my first rides on Wonder Woman. My first ride was in row 6 and I was slightly underwhelmed. Let me preface by saying I am a HUGE fan of Railblazer (top 5 for me currently). Don’t get me wrong I thought it was great and I knew going in don’t expect Railblazer but I just thought the elements would be more. Knowing I was in row 6 I quickly got back in line. I let two girls behind me go ahead on the next ride to secure row 12 and let me say the ride blew me away!!! It’s shocking the difference the back makes. The drop is insane, literally out of your seat all the way to the bottom and the air time doesn’t stop there.

It’s my #2 in the park as TC still reigns supreme. I rode them back to back twice to confirm. TC’s airtime is just so freaking good especially blue track in the front. So good!

I know this has been said before but yes X2 is rough and it’s really only the last part. I got back row inside seat and honestly thought I got a concussion after riding. I was holding my head hard against the headrest and it still slammed hard. Anyone else had that? Nonetheless my #3 in the park as the first drop and raven turn drop are unlike anything out there!

Tatsu was running one train and even with flag pass it was still a 35 minute wait, BRUTAL!!! Ops were so slow, I even timed it from departure to departure it was 7 minutes and 35 seconds. Unbelievable. #4 in the park as the pretzel is still unreal intense!

Last ride comment, Goliath is easily the best themed ride in the park. Built in a time when Six Flags gave a crap about theming and I love it. When I went to Discovery Kingdom a couple years ago I was pleasantly surprised that Medusa built around the same time was themed almost just as well. Even Wonder Woman just feels cheaply done so I appreciate Goliath tremendously! 

Overall  a fun day as I went strictly to ride rides. The park doesn’t look great as there are a lot of abandoned buildings decaying in the extreme heat by the day. When I was 12 years old if I said that Knotts was better than Six Flags I’d slap myself. Today it’s not even a comparison.

• Like 1

I drove up to the park today with the express intent of checking out the new Wonder Woman ride and then bailing. I’m very familiar with the version at Fiesta Texas, and I was looking forward to this one as I’m not a huge fan of the original. I do ride that one when at Fiesta Texas, but I find the intensity too over-the-top, worsened by the ride’s utter brevity. I expected to like this version more, and that was the case. I think all the same intensity and aggression is there, but the ride has much better pacing overall and feels like a proper rollercoaster whereas the Texas one feels more life a swift bludgeoning. I rode this one six times as there was basically no line and the operations were stellar.

I found the back significantly better than the front. I think others have commented on this too, but it’s not just because of the way the train flies over the first drop; it's because the mid-front seats are a bit rattly, and there are even a couple of rough-ish spots. The back seats don’t seem to have this problem at all. Fortunately, I rode the very back three times and the very front only once.

The first drop, as you might expect, provides extreme ejection toward the back of the train. You start accelerating while still on the lift, so the effect is similar to the back seat of the original raptor rides. It's very aggressive, but not painful. In the front, the first drop isn’t all that great. It has some of the falling sensation you get on Twisted Colossus, but it’s nothing noteworthy as track levels out fast. The first dive thing is odd because the track shifts to the left so much that it feels like an actual pre-turn. It seems as if this would be to profile the riders' heartline, but that doesn’t seem to be the case as it turns left and then flips over on the left. This element has some great hang time in the back of the train, but the front is just kind of an aggressive mush. The subsequent airtime hill is what you’d expect in the front (extreme ejection), but the back seat sustains the air for longer than expected. The stall is whatever (I think the Twisted Colossus one is more freaky due to the structure). The turnaround is whippy, but not sustained grey-out whippy like the Texas version's spiral. I actually found the corkscrew more interesting than the stall as it’s about the same height, only you take it slower.

The second half is fine and really quite fun, but it does feel like RMC could have come up with something more radical there (a ground-level barrel roll, for instance). The trim doesn’t engage, so the drop is aggressive and the turn is forceful. The off-angle bunny hops didn’t do much for me. I thought they would be uncomfortable in that weird RMC outward-bank way, but the angle wasn’t enough to produce any bizarre effects other than standard airtime. The same is kind of true for the last couple of hills and the turn toward the station, but it’s also there where the front seats seemed to hit some clunky spots. The back seats were fine, though, and the train even feels sort of graceful going through that section. 

Overall, a very good ride for the park. Exceptional operations, even though the station design is a bit of a disaster (that locker situation is going to be such a nightmare in terms of line cutters). Plus, that station will likely produce trauma for those of us who had the great misfortune of ever riding Green Lantern. And anyone expecting lush greenery (it's a draught-laden desert, folks) or major animatronics or anything of that nature will be disappointed. I haven't ridden the new SFFT ride yet, but I know they went above and beyond with the pre-show stuff. Personally, I just want to get on the ride and skip all that, and I was kind of glad when the old Terminator ride ditched all that and became Apocalypse (closed today, for what it's worth). But I get the appeal, and none of that is here. Hopefully they'll do stuff with the vacant spaces on either side, as there's kind of lot of room there. Rebuild Freefall is what I say ;)

A good day to visit the park, even though I was in and out fast. TC and WW were both running three trains, but the coasters on the other side of the hill seemed to have what a staff member on Viper called "Monday Operations." 

A few pictures, not that there's anything here you haven't seen before.

1203442831_ScreenShot2022-08-15at2_34_56PM.thumb.png.faa788e369435e86d9e274794bbf879b.png

1338469936_ScreenShot2022-08-15at2_35_16PM.thumb.png.3710ce379b134070d9f70db996a88a58.png

1204964747_ScreenShot2022-08-15at2_35_37PM.thumb.png.754345356e7017982da7e4b364949d4e.png

1033708663_ScreenShot2022-08-15at2_36_00PM.thumb.png.4e1ea41e6f30f086120acb34b9d35cdd.png

1241575268_ScreenShot2022-08-15at2_36_18PM.thumb.png.e9fcae17a3a13f08c786c7e63e1419af.png

384311284_ScreenShot2022-08-15at2_37_08PM.thumb.png.ff72f2cbc9dec2350191b4532a3fb2fb.png

135994119_ScreenShot2022-08-15at2_37_25PM.png.2afdb5349bfc2994eb7779d86d2aff35.png

1404899329_ScreenShot2022-08-15at2_37_53PM.thumb.png.781adacb00fe1b890f6bef589cb738ae.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to Magic Mountain for the first time in over a decade! I'm extremely excited to ride Twisted Colossus, Wonder Woman, Crazanity, and West Coast Racers for the first time.

I'll be there this coming Saturday, 9/3, so in anticipation of large crowds, I went ahead and invested in a platinum flash pass. Does anyone have experience with them? Are they worth it, or did I fall for a meme?

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 11:28 PM, CedarFlags said:

FYI to the Alphabet Mafia... this year's Out On the Mountain is Friday Sept 9th.  A little earlier than in past years.

image.thumb.png.90fc3f70523c7e474d1c6355fc45bbd5.png

The flyer is definitely giving some *Graphic design is my passion* vibes...

Let’s hear it for Six Flags acknowledging us as a fan base though, us alphabet folks love to see it! 😍

• Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 3:11 PM, CoasterKid93 said:

I'm going to Magic Mountain for the first time in over a decade! I'm extremely excited to ride Twisted Colossus, Wonder Woman, Crazanity, and West Coast Racers for the first time.

I'll be there this coming Saturday, 9/3, so in anticipation of large crowds, I went ahead and invested in a platinum flash pass. Does anyone have experience with them? Are they worth it, or did I fall for a meme?

For what it's worth, I visited on Saturday 8/13 and it was dead. I think the extraordinary heat (104+) was partly to blame, and the water park looked slammed, but the dry park was a ghost town. Even X2 was a walk-on in the middle of the day. Wonder Woman had a very short indoor wait that barely extended past the lockers. Labor Day may be a little more crowded, but the forecast is also 108 degrees so it may surprise you how empty it is. This whole attendance drop thing is kinda true. I had to see it to believe it.

With that being said, getting Flash Pass never makes your day worse. You will always ride more and can take your day more leisurely so it's always a good investment! At the very least you will save some time walking through the queue lines. We had it on our empty day and it still saved a little on Full Throttle, Colossus, and Tatsu. Enjoy!

On 8/28/2022 at 3:50 PM, CP_RULES said:

Let’s hear it for Six Flags acknowledging us as a fan base though, us alphabet folks love to see it! 😍

This isn’t an official SFMM event. Just a park buyout, though the park is obviously not oblivious to whom it is catering to. 

18 hours ago, Jew said:

This isn’t an official SFMM event. Just a park buyout, though the park is obviously not oblivious to whom it is catering to. 

This is California and maybe a grain of salt or two is involved, but they could have always taken the cake decorator approach. If you know you know. Happy to see the event!

Smol update:

My friend and I had a blast at Magic Mountain on Saturday - yes, it was unbelievably hot, but the crowds were minimal and every ride was a walk-on. In fact, the longest we waited was 15 minutes for X2 right at opening. (That was more due to slow operations, despite running two trains.) The best part of the day was getting my friend on X2 who was completely blind to the ride experience. We were assigned row 4 (no choice of row, kiddies) and received a surprisingly smooth ride. The first drop is incredible out of sheer virtue of its theatrics: it forces you to acknowledge your imminent doom in the most sadistic manner possible - an experience my friend learned for himself. We both loved it, and X2 remains our favorite ride in the park. My friend also ranked it above pretty much every ride he had ever ridden.

See, my friend regarded Cedar Point the same way I regarded Six Flags Magic Mountain: a relic of childhood road trips past, with neither of us having visited the other's home park. (Perhaps next time I meet him at Cedar Point? 👀) Every ride was a new experience for him, and a few were completely new to me, as well. I last visited in 2012 and boy has the park changed. X2 and Tatsu were both lovely (the latter being far more graceful than the first) but that was only the beginning.

I'll chalk it up to the 107 degree heat: everything was running super fast.

West Coast Racers
was a lovely 1st time experience: it was whippy, punchy, and offered a few great pops of air. I honestly felt undersold on the quality of this Premier coaster, and place it firmly in the #4 ranking of the day, with X2 at #1 and Tatsu at #5. Killer Gs in those helixes, by the way.

Up next was Wonder Woman: Flight of Courage, a wicked single-rail coaster from Rocky Mountain Construction. I rode Railblazer (RIP) back in May and was thoroughly blown away by its intensity. Wonder Woman isn't quite that intense, but it came close. The back is obviously the best seat for airtime (the whip over the first drop is legendary) with its best moment being the hill immediately following the raven dive. Nothing puts a smile on your face quite like 4 seconds of sustained ejector airtime.  #3

The greatest airtime of the day (and possibly the best we've ever experienced) arrived in the form of Twisted Colossus. I had the privilege of riding in both the front and back rows, and I'm honestly stumped on which I preferred. Yes, the airtime is world class in the back car, but the front offers a hell of a ride too. I think it ultimately comes down to what you want out of the first drop: do you want to dangle helplessly at 80 degrees for a few seconds, or do you want to get hulk-smashed to the ground? #2

We enjoyed a remarkably good run on Goliath next. The elongated bunny hill offered some gentle but pleasant floater air, and the helix is as grey-out inducing as ever. But damn, do those mid-course brakes suck. #7

Full Throttle exceeded my expectations as well, mainly due to the weird amount of flack it received at opening. Is it short? Yes. Is it still pretty freakin sweet? Yes. The launch rules, the hang time is other-worldly, and the bizarre reverse launch sequence is a lot of fun. #6

We ultimately left after marathoning those 7 rides for 5 hours in the park due to the unrelenting heat. (PSA: if you're going to Six Flags Magic Mountain at any time during the next week, it will be HOT. Remember your sunscreen and hydrate regularly - there were a few who experienced heat exhaustion, including my friend. He's totally okay, but remember that heat-related illness is no joke.)

Final Rankings

1. X2
  2. Twisted Colossus
  3. Wonder Woman: Flight of Courage
  4. West Coast Racers
  5. Tatsu
  6. Full Throttle
  7. Goliath
  • Like 3