TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

10 minutes ago, Tim2009 said:

Can't believe even phone's owner was so irresponsible! 

This is the reason why roller coasters in my country strictly say 'no' to smartphones on the ride. One park I know even displays one damaged smartphone they found below the coaster, adding the fact it hit another rider on the hand, causing the injury. I think it was 'T-Express'. 

답글

They do this in the US too; your country isn't special. Everywhere has idiots.

Hell, at Six Flags Great Adventure they'll stop a ride on the lift hill and have security come walk you off the ride if you pull your phone out.

On 7/11/2022 at 6:38 AM, Tim2009 said:

Can't believe even phone's owner was so irresponsible! 

This is the reason why roller coasters in my country strictly say 'no' to smartphones on the ride. One park I know even displays one damaged smartphone they found below the coaster, adding the fact it hit another rider on the hand, causing the injury. I think it was 'T-Express'. 

답글

People don’t care, they do what they want to do. Unfortunately, at times, it comes at the expense of others. I’m glad they know who’s cellphone it was in this particular case, hopefully the family goes after him instead of the park. 

On 7/11/2022 at 10:38 PM, Tim2009 said:

답글

Yea sorry, I just found hidden phone footage on Korean rides uploaded less that 24 hours ago in a single Youtube search.

54 minutes ago, southpuddle said:

Let's also not pretend that every one of us at least once has taken a phone on a ride. We all could have been that little girl and we all could have been the person whose phone got away from them.

I can confidently say I've never had my phone in hand on a coaster while on the course (maybe lift or brakes). 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CedarFlags said:

I can confidently say I've never had my phone in hand on a coaster while on the course (maybe lift or brakes). 

The phones that go flying out on rides almost exclusively do so out of riders’ pockets. After working at Cedar Point for 5 years (and Magnum for 3 of those, which is the king of lost phones) almost everyone at the end of the night looking for their phone said it flew right out of their pocket. I’ve always contended that one of the safest places for your phone is actually a firm grip in your hand (but not holding it up in their air making a video). I’m not condoning bringing a phone on a ride, because clearly the safest place for your phone and for all riders is not on the ride at all, but demonizing someone for simply having a phone on a ride when it’s just in their pocket, where they think it’s perfectly fine, isn’t fair. Most people don’t have a good understanding of how the physics of airtime on a coaster can literally fling it right out. We’ve all had a phone in our pocket on a ride.  

• Like 1

^ That's what happened to me. Years ago I didn't account for how loose the pockets were on my work pants when I visited Great Adventure straight after work, and El Toro ate my work Blackberry. THAT was a fun one to explain. Never made that mistake again.

4mdY4Og.gif

Just joshin, but not really.  They're still friggin' excellent rides.

Edit - So I just watched the JDC pov again with the volume up higher.  Did I hear Robb say "O M Wheee!" just after the midcourse heading into the turn?  Because I'm stealing that.

• Haha 1

Today was media day for Wonder Woman Flight of Courage!  Awesome addition to SFMM's lineup.  Now there are two coasters I will ride every time i'm there. :)   I have not ridden either of the first edition single rails that just look like they are sped up in videos, but I believe this is just enough for everyone.  The front was more violent than the rear, but the rear has the type of airtime I enjoy.  First drop was my favorite in the back seat.  There still seems to be a lot of detail work to be done in the future, but it's ready enough to open, I guess.  

As you may have heard, Batman's entrance is now the old exit.  Before going up the ramp, they created a new concrete walkway to the original queue.  The stairs still smell the same post closure. lol.  SFMM opened it for media day as well so I got one ride in.  

The new DC Universe entrance looks great.  There is a ton of open space in the plaza area as well as some space surrounding the ride.  The old turnaround area for Tidal Wave is unused dirt at the moment.  There definitely has to be a plan for that land.  Walls are still up in that area.  Anyway, an excellent addition to Magic Mountain's already solid lineup!

IMG_7111.thumb.jpeg.43dc53e8c7d77f2a3c2bb28b1dff3761.jpeg

IMG_6984.thumb.jpeg.018f8aca64480c2655b4cc26c509ae12.jpeg

IMG_7004.thumb.jpeg.3646514873a26b8ceff7335c754f486f.jpeg

IMG_6969.thumb.jpeg.67354a0359e94cb66de1558e682fe8ca.jpeg

IMG_6968.thumb.jpeg.fdc2e2d6b9d30fb6a5b3a482bef8f1aa.jpeg

IMG_6962.thumb.jpeg.50bbce1d66356a9b807f4040f0e6c1ac.jpeg

1105876362_IMG_70722.thumb.jpeg.1494f229f9a683e9dcc8fc48f134999d.jpeg

IMG_7070.thumb.jpeg.82ce12eaa488384546bf788a28d8eb1f.jpeg

IMG_7065.thumb.jpeg.baa6ae2cd8f90e40921b22fc30a8066d.jpeg

IMG_7079.thumb.jpeg.92f0563e63bf758b36efda11f15f1df8.jpeg

IMG_7078.thumb.jpeg.beb1fbc6c1f795331accf42894718466.jpeg

IMG_7026.thumb.jpeg.72450ccee47567b22b3dae93b3c5a65b.jpeg

IMG_6998.thumb.jpeg.1c6be2a0a85e8ec672d05961d2964dc6.jpeg

IMG_7047.thumb.jpeg.556645b2e1cfbc0487db69cf97ef2a35.jpeg

IMG_7044.jpeg

• Like 4

I just "love" the food offerings that SF:MM offers for these special events. Simple, Classic stuff....

IMG_1953.JPG.351d450454c7142ce0d449bda8179d72.JPG

'Nough said.

And then there was Knott's during this same event weekend I attended (both parks visited)....

IMG_2027.JPG.c5faaeea7edc2b7f2ef31e11e1a55a88.JPG

Beverage container not part of it, but still ...... yeah, well.... IMhO.

2016 West Coast Bash Weekend.

The last two pictures really sum up the Magic Mountain experience quite well.  Looks like the area could really use more shade, but I’ll reserve final judgement until I see it in person.

I’m looking forward to riding this week

I'm sure this policy will likely change in the future (especially when WW is a part of Flashpass), but yesterday during the AP previews, they were allowing people with no loose articles directly into the Flashpass line, skipping at least 2+ hours of waiting.  TIP:  Use the lockers by Batman to store items, hardly anyone was using them, then head over to Flashpass.

Again, once Flashpass kicks in (and would it today?), I don't know if they'd still do it this way... maybe ask at the Flashpass entrance first to be sure they're still doing it that way

Headed out yesterday for the passholder preview and... woof.  I don't want to sound bitchy but I was really disappointed.  SFMM decided that functional is the same as finished and we got a pretty terrible overall experience.

Coaster - A solid 7/10.  Less insane than the 1st-gen single rails, but I think that's a good thing.  Easing up on the aggression makes it really re-rideable and I think it will be a huge hit with enthusiasts and GP.  My one ride was in row 10, but I heard folks saying that the front was crazier.  The new trains do make you sit with your feet unnaturally far apart, and it's kind of uncomfortable.  Could be a more significant problem for folks who have shorter legs or narrow hips.

Ops - I wasn't able to figure out what caused this but trains were regularly being sent out with only 4-6 passengers.  Quite a few trains had only 2 or 3.  This happened over and over again during my 3 hour long wait and it was maddening.  The handful of times that they did send multiple full trains in a row, I noticed that the line actually does move, so that's a plus.  I happened to be in one of the full trains, so I didn't get to see what the problem was they were experiencing.  And I'm sure the employees were doing their best, no shade to them, but management forced them to open when they were very clearly not ready.

Presentation - Lots of construction stuff still up around the area, a big dirt hole to the right of the switchbacks, confetti still all over the place from media day.  The inside part of the queue had no working A/C, so it was hot and very humid from all the sweaty bodies standing inside.  The floor inside the building is also a mess.  It's like they told the construction crew: "don't worry about spilling paint on the floor because we're gonna do a finish coat on it"... and then they just didn't.   Also, the paint on the coaster supports looks SUPER patchy and weird, especially near the ride entrance.  Like they got scuffed up and someone fixed them with red spray paint.

Extra weird thing - The entrance and exit of Batman have switched so that Batman and WW can share one exit path.  Except there was no sign, so we walked off WW directly into the Batman queue and kept going onto the ride.  Wasn't a big issue in the moment since there was virtually no line, but that better get fixed quickly before fights start about people cutting the line.

--

The whole experience gave me the mental scenario of the construction project manager sending an email update saying "Hey everyone, we're almost to the end.  We'll be ready to open in 3-4 weeks."  And then someone from marketing replying "We just announced the opening day, so actually you have 2 weeks.  Figure it out."

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, CedarFlags said:

Ops - I wasn't able to figure out what caused this but trains were regularly being sent out with only 4-6 passengers.  Quite a few trains had only 2 or 3.  This happened over and over again during my 3 hour long wait and it was maddening.  The handful of times that they did send multiple full trains in a row, I noticed that the line actually does move, so that's a plus.  I happened to be in one of the full trains, so I didn't get to see what the problem was they were experiencing.  And I'm sure the employees were doing their best, no shade to them, but management forced them to open when they were very clearly not ready.

I saw that too, and it's the locker situation.  There's such a huge back up at the lockers with a single kiosk and no available lockers, there's no one available to ride.

10 minutes ago, ryder said:

I saw that too, and it's the locker situation.  There's such a huge back up at the lockers with a single kiosk and no available lockers, there's no one available to ride.

Oooooh, interesting!  That definitely makes sense.  I noticed there was a smaller cubby across from the lockers that my buddy put his backpack in, I wonder if they found that somewhere after a couple hours to help out.

This actually makes me even madder at the park, tbh.  It wasn't just that they opened without having time to test their procedures.   They opened with missing infrastructure.  That's completely inexcusable.

I gotta say, as a fairly new father one of the benefits of bringing a child in a stroller to a park is the ability to drop all my loose articles with my wife and the stroller while I ride, then swap.  I haven't taken a second glance at a locker in 15 months.

Trip Report 7.17.22.  First Impressions of WW:FOC

Got into the park at 5:30pm yesterday. Headed straight to WW:FOC and the inside queue was full but that's it. Took about 17 minutes to get on. 

IMG_9356.thumb.jpeg.61f7ac904a1ca311e3b58f0c6dcf1599.jpeg

After this I got rides in on TC, Scream!, Tatsu, Ninja, and strolled around the park at sunset before returning to WW at 7:30, where I got on 7 times in just one hour. The wait was never more than half of the inside during this and the line was constantly moving. I was big dizzy after my 7th straight, so I headed back to TC to re-calibrate my senses.

IMG_9353.thumb.jpg.eba3c047d035abab894b7b1048401c66.jpg

In total, I got 8 rides on WW. Rows 1, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, and twice in the back.

My back row rides were my favorite for sure. The drop was insane and the whole ride was just so fun. Loved being whipped over all the elements. I will say there is more of a rattle in the back than the front, but we are talking about a super minimal rattle, certainly nothing to take away from the awesomeness.

IMG_9357.thumb.jpeg.6685b079d57eab0351b0be3e407c87af.jpeg

Something interesting to note here. On my last ride (row 1), they ride-stopped us on the lift hill. A team member ran up the lift, told this kid to put his phone away, ran back down, and restarted the lift. Whole thing took no longer than 3-4 minutes. It was interesting to see them paying such close attention to loose articles on this ride. I appreciate it, although I can see it being a little frustrating if you are in line and it is slowing things down. Of course, this is not the park's fault anyway. They do a good job at reminding you no loose articles. 

My thoughts: Wonder Woman is the perfect addition to the park. A fast-moving line, smooth, super fun experience that appeals to just about everybody, and a ride that feels unlike any other in the park. I was worried about it feeling slow, or too much like TC, but alas I was pleasantly surprised in pretty much every way. The pacing on this thing is exceptional. Thankfully that MCBR is not on as that would really damper the experience. I am so happy to have this high capacity attraction at the park and will be going on this multiple times a visit. 9.5/10 addition for the park. Would be a 10, but...IMG_9364.thumb.jpg.c0f2536cae431533b824e3d3f266064f.jpg

RIP Green Lantern!

My only gripe: The queue. I do not care that they opened the ride in an unfinished area (DC). I am happy it is open. But, the floor in the queue was a complete mess, people were peeling the paint off the walls, and that room is a literal hot box. The locker situation is not *terrible*, just pretty bad, and is also very ugly IMO. The slight attempt at theming is fine, but again the rest of the mess is a bad look. The locker situation is also set up for people to easily cut back to the front of the line after getting off which is a shame. The loading platform itself is pretty cool though with the moving trains. 

Thank you RMC for bringing two world-class coasters to Magic Mountain in the last 7 years. 

I can't rank it above TC or X2, but it might be giving Tatsu a run for its money. Time will tell.