TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

On 10/22/2021 at 6:06 AM, njcoasterguy34 said:

It's not the first time a Six Flags park reused a station.  When Six Flags Great Adventure replaced Viper with El Toro, they reused the station.  They just reversed the direction the trains move through the station.

And I do believe my home park, Six Flags Great America, has used the current Goliath station 3 times: Z-Force 1985-1987, Iron Wolf, 1990-2011 and Goliath 2014-present.

On 10/22/2021 at 4:06 AM, njcoasterguy34 said:

It's not the first time a Six Flags park reused a station.  When Six Flags Great Adventure replaced Viper with El Toro, they reused the station.  They just reversed the direction the trains move through the station.

It's not the first time SFMM has reused a station, either. Ninja's station used to be the top station for the Dragon tram. The lower station is still standing, too - even though the tram has been gone for 40 years.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SoCalJasonland said:

I saw the really trash action of someone trying to fill up a giant thermos with BBQ sauce.  I felt like I was with the ghetto people at El Pollo Loco who bring their own tupperware to steal salsa.

I hate people so much

13 minutes ago, prozach626 said:

Thankful for roller coasters joining the fight for equality.

You will be treated equally but first you must be as tall as daffy duck's hand to participate in the equality.  If not, we have a separate but equal attraction for you on You tube!

• Haha 1

On 10/29/2021 at 12:13 AM, coasterbill said:

Honestly after reading the article, this guy's idea was pretty solid in his situation (a broke guy right out of college with crazy student loan debt who liked coasters anyway who worked 5 minutes away from a park open 365 days a year) as long as he didn't just eat fried shit all day every day and it sounds like he tried to eat the healthier stuff after the first year. lol

I can't hate on this at all. I tried. Going into that article I totally planned on it but actually I just have to give him props.

It's also clever that he can use that 15 minutes of fame to bring in some quick extra cash in interviews and spots on local news to push down those debts a little.

Potentially looking at visiting for the first time on Jan 18th or 19th. I'll be in Vegas that week and, if I decide to go, will be renting a car and driving down. Couple questions...

1. Does SFMM have a ride rehab schedule or is it a more Six Flags approach of "f*ck it, if it breaks we'll fix it"? I tried searching but haven't found anything. I know to expect a couple things to be closed, just hoping to know before I pull the trigger.

2. How are crowds typically on a mid January weekday? If necessary I'll buy a Flashpass as I want to do the whole park in 1 day. 

Pretty excited to potentially be finally knocking this park off the bucket list!

1. They do, but they don't publish it for the public to see. Be prepared for one-train ops and 4-minute dispatches, regardless, since January-February is their slowest time of the year.

2. The park will most likely be a ghost town. If you're there on a weekday and spend most of the day there, you most likely can get on everything with a Flash Pass.

You will have no issues getting on every coaster on a weekday in January (or really a weekend too) from a crowd perspective. Any roadblocks will be random rides closed here and there for maintenance, like ^^^ said, and potentially weather since any possible rain will shut down most rides because it's California and it's a weird phenomenon when water falls from the sky.

Even with slow dispatches and potential closures, this is a great time to go to the park. Most rides *should* be open, just single-train ops on about everything except maybe Twisted Colossus if you're lucky.

One word of note... the first week of January, most kids are still on Winter Break, and won't be returning to school until Jan 10.  So if you go before then, it could be considerably more crowded, even on a weekday.

EDIT:  Just saw it was Jan 18/19, so you should be fine.  The park should be pretty dead.  But I would expect a few rides to be closed for refurbishment, and JL has been closed for a while, I suspect due to being indoors and Los Angeles regulations requiring masks indoors, and SFMM doesn't want to monitor that.

1 hour ago, ryder said:

EDIT:  Just saw it was Jan 18/19, so you should be fine.  The park should be pretty dead.  But I would expect a few rides to be closed for refurbishment, and JL has been closed for a while, I suspect due to being indoors and Los Angeles regulations requiring masks indoors, and SFMM doesn't want to monitor that.

Justice League being closed is fine...I ride it enough at Great Adventure. Hoping to maximize on the coasters, particularly the ones that may only have a few years left (Viper, for instance) and the unique stuff like X2. I'm fully expecting to miss out on a few coasters but hoping for the best. Also definitely planning on a more complete SoCal trip in a couple years to hit Knotts, Disney, Universal, etc plus Dodger Stadium (and maybe a side trip down to Sea World/Petco Park) so I'll be back.

Hopefully after Christmas LA will stop being so strict with the mask regulations, but I know that's unlikely. I saw that there's some days during holiday weeks that masks are required even outside. Glad I won't be there for that. Apparently the virus only transmits on Thanksgiving and Christmas and not other busy Saturdays?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, southpuddle said:

I wonder if all 20 coasters will ever actually be open simultaneously?

LOL. Hopefully during the summer months! For a park with this many coasters, I'm sure the winters and slow season will see closures for maintenance or construction. Can't keep everything always open all the time, all year long.

Batman is being closed because of the construction of Wonder Woman. Not a BS excuse this time. I've heard the Batman exit ramp will be expanded to include Wonder Woman too. I've also heard Batman is now closed after it's last day yesterday - Sunday. 😭

21 hours ago, coasternut said:

Batman is being closed because of the construction of Wonder Woman. Not a BS excuse this time.

... so as I was saying. lol

7 hours ago, CACoasterCruze said:

There is now a construction wall from the entrance to employee area near the First Aid building all the way to the first carnival game next to where the Batmobile was. DC Universe is now completely closed off to the public. 

Just asking because I genuinely have no idea how long a coaster repaint takes in a year round park...

Should I have 0 expectations of Tatsu being open in mid January or is there a chance it will be done by then?

18 hours ago, Zand said:

Just asking because I genuinely have no idea how long a coaster repaint takes in a year round park...

Should I have 0 expectations of Tatsu being open in mid January or is there a chance it will be done by then?

It's Magic Mountain so just take however long you think it should take and then triple it.