TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

17 hours ago, Freestyle23 said:

The park should be empty this coming Tuesday right? Walk ons except for the usual X, Tatsu and probably West Coast/Crazanity? Or are 1 train operations making lines like 15-30 minutes? 

I went on a couple of weekdays last week. Crowds were light, but there were one-train ops on everything except Twisted Colossus (which ran two trains). Everything had about a 5-10 minute wait except for X2, Full Throttle, and Superman - which were both close to 30 minutes. X2 was running 4-minute dispatches in addition to one-train ops, and only the forward side of Superman was running. Apocalypse, Viper, Riddler, Batman, and Scream were walk-ons.

I would expect this week to be similar.

• Like 2

On 10/9/2021 at 12:10 AM, CACoasterCruze said:

Recently posted on YouTube. Watch for the right side drop in use for Jet Stream. 😛

Thank you for this!  Revolution; a train dispatching every time a train goes down drop 2.  The way it was meant!  Not crappy headrests or bucket seat and low brakes!  Beautiful!

That's how coasters used to run; there was no song and dance before each dispatch.  People had common sense; get in cuz the train is leaving!  Demon at SFGAmerica (my home park) used to have a train on the lift when the one before it hit the first loop, while the 3rd train was entering the station.  Whizzer ran 5 trains, no restraints.  Get in and hold on to your sh*t!  And no air gates...

On 10/10/2021 at 7:56 PM, moviemansig said:

For those who work at the park or who went over the weekend, do they require you to wear a mask on all the rides on proof of vaccination days?  Thanks. 

I went Sunday.  Vax check at entrance security.  Masking requested outside but not enforced (or obeyed).  Tatsu and Viper were both down til I left at 4.

15 minutes ago, Kstr737 said:

I went Sunday.  Vax check at entrance security.  Masking requested outside but not enforced (or obeyed).  Tatsu and Viper were both down til I left at 4.

How did they do the Vax check?  Is a picture of your card on your phone enough or do they need to see the actual vax card?

Accepted methods of proof are listed on the website.

Honestly, I wouldn't read too far into this. Six Flags probably doesn't care. The person checking vaccine records at Six Flags isn't going to give a crap. I guarantee that they had no clue what Kstr737's's Excelsior pass was, had never seen one before and had no way whatsoever of scanning it to make sure it was valid. Any reasonable proof will be fine, but I'd probably just take a picture of my CDC card (though I guess I also have the Excelsior pass).

Knowing them, an Instagram post you made of you getting the shot back in April is probably sufficient. They're just going to do the bare minimum.

• Like 1

Living in Seattle, I've had to show my proof of vaccination for several different restaurants, theaters and a Mariners game, and a photo on my phone of my CDC card was fine for all of those. And as coasterbill said, they're not gonna give a crap anyway. There is way too much information to check and match to your ID, and way too many people to get through to be overly meticulous. 

I really do want to know who was responsible for this decision making.

”Hey, we know that this card is probably going to be required for a lot of things. Should we make it wallet sized?”

”No. Make it really big and annoying”

”Okay. Then should we have a federal universal digital version then since we’ve known that this moment would be coming for a year “

”No”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/6/2021 at 10:44 AM, coasternut said:

Two other  bits of bad news, I've learned from an insider. 😢

Goliath is closed until the end of October

Lex Luthor is closed until the end of November.

Do they ever say why?  Sad to see Goliath closed

As for Lex Luthor, is this ride ever opened?  I usually go to SFMM every Nevada Day (Last Fri of Oct) and I have only been on that ride once in my life (I think the first year or 2nd that it was opened), been closed every other time now. 

12 hours ago, coasterbill said:

I really do want to know who was responsible for this decision making.

”Hey, we know that this card is probably going to be required for a lot of things. Should we make it wallet sized?”

”No. Make it really big and annoying”

”Okay. Then should we have a federal universal digital version then since we’ve known that this moment would be coming for a year “

”No”

Probably the same folks in LA county who require vaccine/negative test and still want masks outdoors 🙄

Thankfully if you got your vaccine in LA county, they have a digital pass too. I’ve used that with no problems.

10 hours ago, eatyourkimchi said:

Do they ever say why?  Sad to see Goliath closed

As for Lex Luthor, is this ride ever opened?  I usually go to SFMM every Nevada Day (Last Fri of Oct) and I have only been on that ride once in my life (I think the first year or 2nd that it was opened), been closed every other time now. 

I've posted about a week ago that Goliath is back open! Lex is down for maintenance. It can be temperamental with the sensor adjustments etc.

Went today on Sat.  Got there at 11am.  Long lines for vaccination verification but entry lines were short.  If you have Clear verification, you can skip the vaccine/negative test line.  Most people were wearing masks.  Maybe 5-10% weren't good about it.  No lines for the first few hours for Goliath, TC, Scream, Batman, Riddler, Apocalypse, We used the Flash Pass on WCR, Tatsu, X2, and FT.  Lex Luthor was still down.  Superman was running both sides inconsistently all day

I would say the cat's out of the bag, and I was pretty way off on the theming thinking it would be Shazam themed.

they posted this on Twitter today:

FCL4m8AWQAwEgUG.thumb.jpg.f9b9aaaeda2584eb203686bb0a1024a3.jpg

strong rumor is that it's the announcement of the Raptor.

and these Red/Yellow colors match the color scheme of the new coaster.

know what else is tomorrow, 10/21?

"Wonder Woman Day"

https://jetpackcomics.com/2021/10/13/thursday-10-21-is-wonder-woman-day/

• Like 1

Here is a trip report for last Saturday.  I did West Coast Racers for the first time and really enjoyed it.  I thought the airtime greatly enhanced the ride experience.  The dueling aspect was reminiscent of Twisted Colossus, which was also nice.  The ride length was perfect, longer than most.  The wait time in X2's regular line was a modest one hour late morning.  I rode Superman forwards for the first time and thought it went higher than when it goes in the backward direction.  The wait time in Superman's regular line early afternoon was less than 20 minutes.  Jet Stream was closed early on, but opened up in the evening.  I did it for the first time and thought it was just mediocre, as it was too bumpy and hardly gets you wet.  What I didn't know beforehand is Superman isn't included with the Gold Flash Pass and X2 doesn't have an additional surcharge with Gold.  Lex Luthor and Justice League were both closed. 

• Like 1

Six Flags Magic Mountain Announces Record 20th Coaster WONDER WOMAN Flight of Courage

The Tallest and Longest Single-Rail Coaster on the Planet Will Debut at The Thrill Capital of the World Summer 2022!

VALENCIA, California — October 21, 2021 — Six Flags Magic Mountain, the undisputed “Thrill Capital of the World,” in partnership with Warner Bros. Themed Entertainment and DC, today unveiled plans to add yet another record-breaking coaster—WONDER WOMAN™ Flight of Courage—to its unparalleled thrill ride lineup. Six Flags Magic Mountain’s record 20th roller coaster—the most at any theme park in the world—will debut as the tallest and longest single-rail coaster on the planet where riders will fly over 3,300 feet of track, towering 13 stories and soaring at speeds up to 58 miles-per-hour.  The new coaster will be located in the six-acre DC UNIVERSE™ area of the park, which will be expanded and entirely remodeled to include a new, innovative restaurant and bar experience, plus retail locations featuring exclusive DC branded merchandise.

“This is an historic milestone for our park as we introduce the latest addition to our unrivaled coaster dynasty, WONDER WOMAN Flight of Courage. Not only is this a record-breaking single-rail coaster, it brings Six Flags Magic Mountain’s coaster count to an unprecedented twenty, the most in the world,” said Park President Don McCoy. “Our partnership with Warner Bros. Themed Entertainment makes this accomplishment even more exciting, as we integrate the legacy of an iconic DC Super Hero into the theming of the ride. Additionally, we are creating a more innovative guest experience by redesigning one of our most popular areas, DC UNIVERSE, which will become the home of WONDER WOMAN Flight of Courage,” added McCoy.

WONDER WOMAN Flight of Courage exemplifies the Super Hero’s traits of strength and speed—showcasing the legacy of Wonder Woman herself. As guests enter the ride queue, influenced by Greek architecture and featuring tropical landscaping, they will be immersed in the story of her life and how she obtained her super powers. Riders will join forces with Wonder Woman in the fight for truth, justice, and equality, to embark on an incredible journey of heroic feats, propelling through dives, banks, rolls, and turns designed to challenge the bravest of thrill seekers.

Key features of WONDER WOMAN Flight of Courage include:

Themed entrance portal and queue inspired by the hidden island of Themyscira;

Four sleek trains of 12 passengers each sitting one rider per row along the monorail track;

3,300 feet of single-rail, I-beam track;

Tension-building ascent up a towering, 131-foot lift hill;

Reaching speeds up to 58 mph;

Intense elements including a steep, 87-degree first drop and overbanked cutback; and

Three dramatic inversions including a 180-degree stall, raven dive, and zero-gravity roll.

The newly-themed DC UNIVERSE™ area also includes the popular BATMAN™ The Ride and several other DC themed rides.

For more information about WONDER WOMAN Flight of Courage, please visit www.sixflags.com/magicmountain.

• Like 7

Nice addition. I am really glad I decided to give Jersey Devil a second ride later in the day back in August after not caring for my morning ride much. I loved the second ride. It's a good coaster. 

Also, it is pretty hilarious to watch my fellow coaster nerds on social media complain about a cloned ride 2,700 miles from its original. As if even 1% of the guests at Magic Mountain will even know this, let alone feel anything about it. Good, smart move by Six Flags. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, abovethesink said:

coaster nerds on social media complain about a cloned ride 2,700 miles from its original

So, in other words, business as usual on #coastergram. 👍

I wasn't super impressed with my first ride on Jersey Devil, but like you, after getting a second and third ride on it recently during Fright Fest Power Hours, it's definitely grown on me. It's not as batshit crazy as the prototype raptors but it's a good, solid ride from start to finish. It'll be a good addition to Magic Mountain. Hopefully they can keep the downtime low now that the kinks have been mostly ironed out of the east coast version.

So just to clarify this is essentially a clone of Jersey Devil just maybe a little bit taller and with a different turn at the end into a station that's oriented slightly differently? 

Seems like *most* people liked Jersey Devil just fine (besides the obvious enthusiast grumblings) so this should be a solid addition. I like the mention of a new restaurant and bar location being added with it too!

I think WW will be a great addition to the park and gives SFMM a much needed airtime machine.  I would've rather they combined the money for WCR/WW and given us a Giga instead, but it's hard to complain about the park getting a 2nd RMC coaster.  I've ridden the WW raptor at SFFT and absolutely loved it, so I'm interested to see how the longer model compares. 

1 hour ago, coneyislandchris said:

So, in other words, business as usual on #coastergram. 👍

I wasn't super impressed with my first ride on Jersey Devil, but like you, after getting a second and third ride on it recently during Fright Fest Power Hours, it's definitely grown on me. It's not as batshit crazy as the prototype raptors but it's a good, solid ride from start to finish. It'll be a good addition to Magic Mountain. Hopefully they can keep the downtime low now that the kinks have been mostly ironed out of the east coast version.

A lot of the issues with Jersey Devil are also due to them trying to run four trains at once. This won't be an issue for Magic Mountain after year one when it runs three trains and keeps one in refurb perpetually forever.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

A lot of the issues with Jersey Devil are also due to them trying to run four trains at once. This won't be an issue for Magic Mountain after year one when it runs one trains and keeps three in refurb perpetually forever.

FTFY

• Like 3