TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

10 minutes ago, VegasBaby said:

It is National Roller Coaster day and track/supports are already on site, but then again it's Six Flags were talking about.  I do miss the videos where they announced all of the parks' new rides at once.  I'd watch it with my kids and we'd make plans on what SF parks we were going to hit the next year.

The announcement vids were the best, just give it to me all at once! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VegasBaby said:

It is National Roller Coaster day and track/supports are already on site, but then again it's Six Flags were talking about.  I do miss the videos where they announced all of the parks' new rides at once.  I'd watch it with my kids and we'd make plans on what SF parks we were going to hit the next year.

Unfortunately that CEO is gone. I too loved those videos.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, bert425 said:

I had guessed Black Adam several pages back simply based on the Yellow Track.

if there are now Maroon supports on site? 

yeah, it's Shazam.

Maroon? That clearly means it's going to be Tatsu 2: Son of Tatsu.

So, has anyone else hear that SFMM may not be opening any of their indoor mazes for FF due to rising Covid?  Which, if true, would basically only leave Aftermath, scarezones, and possible shows.

14 hours ago, ryder said:

So, has anyone else hear that SFMM may not be opening any of their indoor mazes for FF due to rising Covid?  Which, if true, would basically only leave Aftermath, scarezones, and possible shows.

2 hours ago, ryder said:

Nevermind... while someone in guest services did send out a communication saying indoor mazes were going to be closed, it was apparently in error.  Looks like indoor mazes are back on

Let's just agree that nobody knows what the situation is going to be in a month, so we'll continue to play by ear.

On that note, if anyone was planning on traveling beyond their local area for halloween events this year I'd suggest maybe not.

45 minutes ago, rba13 said:

Disney would not be pleased.

Captain Marvel is also a DC character, he's just usually called Shazam. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike240SX said:

Captain Marvel is also a DC character, he's just usually called Shazam. 

officially - since the "NU52" relaunch 10 years ago (2011) - they changed the character's name to "Shazam"

so while it's true for Decades, "Captain Marvel" appeared in the DC comics under the comic titled "Shazam" (due to Marvel Comics trademarking "Captain Marvel" back in the 1960's, while the Fawcett character - whom DC acquired to publish - was dormant) - every appearance since 2011 he's been "Shazam"

• Like 1

Yeah, at this point I will be shocked if it's not Wonder Woman. I am curious to see how this layout varies from Jersey Devil, since I'm sure there will be some adjustments on profiling like we saw with Stunt Pilot vs. WW/Railblazer. And of course the ending will change to fit in the area too.

Took a little afternoon trip last week.  Overall it was fine, but there was just a buildup of small wacky stuff

• Surprisingly cold for August and it drizzled on and off until about 1pm.  But it was a nice break from the usual heat.
  • Several rides were not using their indoor queues (i'm guessing covid safety?)  I noticed Superman, Lex, Apocalypse, and WCR (not Batman for some reason).  Superman, Apocalypse, and WCR were holding guests outside and then letting one train worth of people into the building at a time.  Lex was using the FlashPass side entrance (but didn't have a sign or anything, just shut the front door making a bunch of us think the ride was closed).
  • Goliath parked short in the station when we returned and we couldn't get out for a couple minutes.  But the crew had NO CLUE what to do.  I was listening to the gal at the panel call it in to the office and the way she described it sounded like they didn't even know what to call this situation.  So that was not super confidence inspiring because I knew exactly what the deal was from back in my Ride Op days.
  • Batman had a sign out front saying it was running1 train.  But I got to the station and they were running two.  But then they unloaded one train and sent it for one cycle with just a single employee riding, and then empty for a second cycle.   And then put it back in service immediately after that.  I'm not sure if it was a training thing or what, but it was odd.
  • Scream was riding pretty well.  Slight rattle still, but much better than I've seen it before.  Still a parking lot coaster, but I'm still glad that we have it.  The side wheels need some love though, because that turn out of the station is creaky and LOUD.
  • And the final moment of wacky... while in the pre-loading area of the Lex Luther queue, I noticed that the Operator at the panel on one side was getting her hair braided by another employee.  Like... while she was working the ride.

At the risk of sounding like a Six Flags hater... i would like to point out that their revamped entrance security screening is incredible and I'm completely in love with it.  So quick, so easy.  10/10.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Superbatboy said:

They've chopped away at some of Batman's queue to make space. The project is a lot bigger than I imagined it.

I was there yesterday and it looks like most of the footers are there just waiting for concrete. It appears as though the entrance will be closer to the new cleared space near Batman as there are footers going in where the old entrance used to be for Green Lantern. Also a ton of track is now onsite as well. I wonder when they will announce it??

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We were there on Sat Aug 28th and did NOT get a break from the heat, which usually is not an issue for me; but105? Holy hell it was hot! Anyway we were on a SoCal coaster trip and since we had been to SFMM before decided it would be the sacrificial Saturday park since we were going to have to hit one of them on the weekend and therefore could skip some of our less than favorites if time was an issue. We used our memberships to do the free upgrade to Platinum for Gold price on flashpasses AFTER I explained to the employee that I was allowed to use that perk once at each park not just once total like she thought when she told us we weren't eligible and then seemed to take a while to understand that we had been to other parks that year 🙄 After she confirmed with the supervisor she did the transaction all the while being amazed when I told her we had actually been to 4 other SF parks this year and that I understood the procedure better than she did. 

Anyway, I can confirm that the indoor queues are not being utilized for lines due to Covid. Not because they are particularly worried about the spread but more because they didn't want to have to argue with guests about masks and such. At the end of the night when I had hit the wall but my son was waiting in line for one more WCR ride I had a long chat with the young, naïve, and clearly inexperienced ride op who confirmed that. When people lost their shit because some girls pulled the "excuse me we are catching up with our people" ploy, skipped the whole line and then he let them go on not realizing he had just been bamboozled I suggested he might want to make people show him who they were catching up to when they tried this. He did and was most amazed when they then would walk off since there was in reality no one to catch up to. And when he complained they were never going to get to leave because people kept joining the line after park close I suggested he might want to physically put the ribbon across the entrance and tell them the line was closed. Again he did and was amazed at how well that worked. You're welcome kid.

Seriously I should have gotten a supervisor's pay that day.

We did go straight to WCR at the back of the park and were able to get a regular line wait of only about 25 min and thus was able to save our FP for a second ride when the line had gotten a lot longer after the GP made it there. Then at the end of the night when most of the people had melted the wait was back down to about 30 min. 

Also, right at dusk a whole crap ton of bats came out and were flapping all around the park and helpfully eating all the bugs congregating at the various lights around the park. As far as I could tell no one else had a clue that they were there. One other couple stopped to look because they saw me staring up at the sky and they were amazed when I pointed out the bats, lol. No idea what cave and/or abandoned building they spent the daylight hours in but it must have been fairly close.

Other than that pretty typical SF Sat summer day. Only major ride that we would have done but couldn't because it was down was JL. Oh yeah and Tatsu which I gather has been down a while.