TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Quick trip last week.  The parking lot was already pretty full by 10:20a but the ride lines didn't get too bad until 1 or 2.  YOLO and Tatsu were closed.  Apocalypse, X and WCR had delayed openings.

• Batman - Had two trains on the track but only loading 1 due to no line.  And yet... they still managed to stack the train upon our return.  Yes, they stacked 1-train ops.  Didn't think it could be done.  New paint looks great and it's still my favorite ride in the park.
  • TC - Did not witness any races while in line and went for a 0 racing ride.  Crew seemed to be trying pretty hard, but was just not making it happen.  In about 15 total rides, I've raced blue side twice and green side never, so maybe it's just me.
  • Lex - Standard fun ride, the tower sway from Superman cycles is still very creepy.
  • Justice League - On board audio didn't work for our car and I noticed several of the practical effects were not working.
  • Superman - So nice to having it running at full speed again.  The wind in your face on the reverse trip is still nuts.  Still not a coaster, but still a total blast.
  • Ninja - I always make a point to go on Ninja because it's so old and I never know when it might get the chop (hi-ya!).  Operations were RUGGED though.  Multiple dispatches of 3-4 minutes.  One crew member obviously picking up slack for the rest.  Then the ride went down when I was next, but I stuck it out for about 15/20 minutes.  Still a fantastic ride, but I do very much miss all the trees.

Also, according to a new-ish sign at the ride entrance, Revolution is the "world's first looping coaster".   I'm just like...

Sure Jan GIF

^It’s the world’s first safe vertical loop (not counting vintage things like the Flic Flac in Victorian Times that gave people whiplash). So it’s more accurate accurate than not.

Corkscrew, which is the first safe loop, is not vertical. 

27 minutes ago, ryder said:

^It’s the world’s first safe vertical loop (not counting vintage things like the Flic Flac in Victorian Times that gave people whiplash). So it’s more accurate accurate than not.

Last I checked, the early 1900s was not the "Victorian Era."  Either way, their statement is false and in no way accurate.  They could say "world's oldest operating looping coaster" and have an accurate statement though.

But still, they have the record over Corkscrew at Cedar Point (which does in fact have a vertical loop) by like a week, though, so I'm not even really sure if that counts.

Anyway, this is a company that counts Larson Super Loops as "roller coasters" when they neither roll nor coast, so yeah, it's Six Flags.

7 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

Last I checked, the early 1900s was not the "Victorian Era." 

"Flip Flap Railway was the name of a looping wooden roller coaster which operated for a number of years at Paul Boyton's Sea Lion Park on Coney Island in Brooklyn, New York. The coaster, which opened in 1895, was the first looping roller coaster to operate in North America."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip_Flap_Railway

"Victoria (Alexandrina Victoria; 24 May 1819 – 22 January 1901) was Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland from 20 June 1837 until her death in 1901. Known as the Victorian era, her reign of 63 years and seven months was longer than any previous British monarch."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Victoria

It's bad enough being pedantic. Being pedantic and wrong? Bummer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was referring to any of the other number of looping coasters that existed back in the early 1900s, but sure, I'm wrong on that particular coaster.  Child.

I think what we're saying is that we are not counting the looping coasters that existed and sent craploads of people to the hospital because the loop was improperly designed.  So sure, it should maybe say, "World's first looping coaster that won't send you to the hospital", but that doesn't have the same ring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We’ve reached peak enthusiast when there’s a page of discussion on arguing semantics about revolutions loop.

In other news: track is here for “insert super hero name here” coasterFF8D0A73-B70F-434A-926B-1044826E6AEC.thumb.jpeg.8a6a12f2175347314f6d54b244720cb2.jpeg

• Like 4

On 7/22/2021 at 10:30 PM, ryder said:

Whiplash or not, Flip Flap Railway and the 3 separate Loop The Loop coasters all opened and operated for several years with a loop.  The fact that they had issues and eventually shut down doesn't negate that.

Y'all go ahead and impress the SFMM management with the width and breadth of your vast knowledge.  I'm sure they'll be shocked and amazed and get on changing that sign that they've had for about 45 years now right away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

They also still advertise Full Throttle as the tallest and fastest looping coaster in the world, which is a record it never had in the first place. It's even more hilarious because Viper is *right* there (and there are others too, some that even predate Full Throttle).

At this point parks can claim pretty much anything for their coasters and nobody cares except super enthusiasts. The media will probably get it wrong anyway. If it draws in people and helps boost the park's attendance, more power to them.

• Like 2

^I had a great experience with my Platinum flash pass when I went in June, right after they began filling all rows again. Used the phone version, which worked well as I had good connection throughout the day and a battery pack to ensure my phone was charged. X2, Viper, Riddler's, Batman, Scream, Goliath, Gold Rusher, Full Throttle, and New Revolution entered at the air gates side of the platform, and always had a grouper, whether or not it was adjacent to the main line entrance (except Viper, where they never checked my FP). West Coast Racers entered around & behind the gift shop/exit, at the base of the stairwell across from the main line, so you were sent up and usually on the next train. Tatsu joined in a similar fashion at the base of its stairs, and had usually a one or two train wait aside from the front row. Ninja entered through the exit. Twisted Colossus merged about halfway into the last switchback, so was often still about 15min wait including individual row waits. Full Throttle and New Revolution were the only rides where I had an actual short line of Flash Passers to wait behind. Superman does NOT have flash pass, so if the line is not sticking far out of the "fortress", take advantage as that's pretty short. Apocalypse was closed, so can't speak for it. 

I was at the park about a week ago, and Apocalypse is open again, but as far as I know, I think Tatsu is still down.  I think everything else is open, though (thought not all rides open on time).

• 2 weeks later...

With SFOT and SFFT already being the first parks to announce their 2022 additions, does anyone have any idea when SFMM will make their announcement? I've read in several places that corporate wasn't putting out a chainwide video announcement. Can anyone confirm?

On 8/8/2021 at 1:16 PM, thrillseeker4552 said:

The current rumor is 8/16, which is National Roller Coaster Day. Makes sense to do it that day if they are announcing their 20th coaster too. About a week to go!

Hopefully today is the day.

4 hours ago, thrillseeker4552 said:

They haven’t hinted or teased an announcement at all yet. So unless they drop it out of nowhere, I guess today is not the day and that rumor was false.

Well they just posted this…. first they’ve even mentioned “future.” Maybe they’ll announce the announcement date today….

1F50E954-A184-4A18-AB66-5AC713CCC17C.jpeg

It is National Roller Coaster day and track/supports are already on site, but then again it's Six Flags were talking about.  I do miss the videos where they announced all of the parks' new rides at once.  I'd watch it with my kids and we'd make plans on what SF parks we were going to hit the next year.

• Like 1