TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Not the greatest photo ever but this was Batman testing yesterday! Also, so many more construction walls were up/going up yesterday and from the Riddler's lift hill I was able to see some people walking around the new coaster site. Very exciting!

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.cbe092540b6f1e61b074d70b86d52a28.jpeg

1 hour ago, CACoasterCruze said:

Ok, not a bad video, but they definitely need to polish up on their flying skills. I'd have to say a little dangerous with the park open and people everywhere. 

I was almost expecting them to fly through Full Throttle's loop!

DJI FPV DRONE - 6 Flags Magic Mountain

that was garbage. lol  well, the 2 minutes i was able to handle. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm planning on swinging by the park this evening for my first coaster rides in over a year. I'm stoked to finally be back.

Given that season passes and added perks carried over from last year, does anyone know if the park is still honoring 2020 refillable drink cups that came with the dining plan on a Gold Season Pass? Or will they give me a new cup?

On 5/5/2021 at 6:57 AM, thrillseeker4552 said:

Considering that Batman has now been painted twice since Tatsu opened, I wouldn't count on it... sigh. I imagine Tatsu is a very challenging ride to repaint though. Batman is small and tucked away in a corner near access roads. It was probably a cakewalk, hence why they completed it so quickly.

I have a personal wager about whether Tatsu or Xcelerator will get repainted first. One day...

They likely paint it more than other rides because they weld it so much.

58 minutes ago, joelwee said:

I'm planning on swinging by the park this evening for my first coaster rides in over a year. I'm stoked to finally be back.

Given that season passes and added perks carried over from last year, does anyone know if the park is still honoring 2020 refillable drink cups that came with the dining plan on a Gold Season Pass? Or will they give me a new cup?

If it's anything like the other SF parks throughout the chain, yeah, they're honoring them. In fact, they're probably still selling them and issuing them to people that buy the plan.

• Like 1

My brother and his friends got reservation for one time and now it's sold out. 

When making a reservation for a certain time, are they making people wait until that timepoint or just letting people enter? So if I get one for a later time, can I just walk in with the group?

1 hour ago, coasternut said:

Batman opened today. I rode it several times. 🙃 Good thing I had a flash pass, line management is a nightmare for the general public...

Lucky...waited 80 minutes for Batman. Plus, they need to figure out what to do for Batman's line. I was stuck in a tiny tunnel for over half an hour in between maskless guests. I personally was not bothered, but others around me were quite upset by the situation. Even one of the employees working the line got frustrated at the whole ordeal.

On a brighter note, I had the smoothest ride on Scream in my life today so that's something.

I was at the park again yesterday. It was very busy. It seems like normal attendance for this time of year on a Saturday. The 3rd parking lot was full and they were even running the buses to the front gate. I'm sure they increased the number of admissions as per the change in the county's lower infection status. Now they just need to load all rows on the trains to speed up the longer lines.

Tidal Wave is missing most of its first drop now. The station looks ready for another coaster to just plop in. All of the Green Lantern city facades are gone. It's probably a matter of days/weeks before the Green Lantern signage is finally removed.

If you go to the park and want a nice view of what's going on, the best views are from Riddler's and Batman lifts, both of which have walk on waits during the last hour of the day.

3 hours ago, southpuddle said:

Slowly but surely both of the rides that Riddler was built around have all been scrapped. RIP Freefall and Tidal Wave

I still mourn the Enterprise that was in the space Green Lantern occupied.  Those are starting to become pretty hard to find, and still one of my favorite flats.  The only one left in California is at CGA, when SFMM and Knott's both used to have one.

4 hours ago, ryder said:

I still mourn the Enterprise that was in the space Green Lantern occupied.  Those are starting to become pretty hard to find, and still one of my favorite flats.  The only one left in California is at CGA, when SFMM and Knott's both used to have one.

The now demolished facades that made up queue for Batman and green latern were the last remnants of that section of the park.

the nightclub from that section is why magic mountain had metal detectors long before other parks: in the 80s, a packed night turned into a gang brawl with multiple stabbings.

On 5/7/2021 at 12:13 PM, Jew said:

They likely paint it more than other rides because they weld it so much.

You kidding?  Six Flags doesn't pay for licensed welders on staff, they just throw JB KwikWeld on everything.

I don't think anyone will miss Tidal Wave, especially since it hasn't operated in years.  A West Coast version of the Jersey Devil coaster is just what this park needs and will be a huge hit with the GP, most of whom have probably never ridden a raptor-style coaster. 

Had a “fine” visit to the park yesterday. My first time in 14 months. I say “fine” because most of my enthusiasm was a result of me simply being excited to be back in the park riding coasters. But it definitely wasn’t a smooth visit.

Full Throttle was closed all day, and Twisted Colossus was closed until about 2pm. The first half of the day was quite nice. Lines were short and I rode 7 coasters in just a couple hours. After lunch, the crowds significantly increased and coasters were posting massive lines. We used our Diamond Elite skips on Tatsu (just before it sold out) and Viper, since other rides were unavailable or closed. Operations were pretty bad, letting in WAY too many Flash Pass people rather than pulling from the regular line (plus random groups of 10+ that show up at the exit and fill up a train - what is up with that?). This was prevalent at Twisted Colossus, and was made worse by 2-train operations. Luckily they were filling most rows.

The B&Ms had pretty normal operations. They were blocking off every other row, but if a party had more than 4 people, they could fill up consecutive rows. Kinda confusing, but overall those lines moved fine. X2 was operating 100% normally and had a very tolerable line (we waited 45 minutes). The train is naturally socially distanced in pairs of two, so it operated at full capacity, consistently, and with no issues. That was the pleasant surprise of the day. And my god, that coaster is just wild. I can’t tell if I love it or hate it. It’s just so… “WTF just happened.”

The only major rides we didn’t ride were Goliath, which surprisingly had THREE train operations. Although they were double stacking, so it didn’t help at all. But still kinda strange to see. It had a massive line that almost reached the entrance, so we never bothered. Also didn’t ride Ninja (crazy line), Gold Rusher (don’t care), or Full Throttle (closed all day). It was nice to be back in the park and ride lots of rides, but the operations were frustrating. Hopefully they improve in the coming months. I’m sure they had to re-hire a ton of people in a very quick time frame so I have no problem cutting them some slack.

It was overcast and cloudy all day, so I don’t have any good photos to post. Despite some setbacks, I do suggest visiting if you’re a resident and are itching to ride rides! Superman is running all the way up to the top, mobile ordering is FANTASTIC, and the coasters were running multiple trains despite the bad operations. Just don’t go in with high expectations, as always with Six Flags.

One other improvement I noticed last week was that sensor-operated water bottle fillers had been installed at most of the drinking fountains. Of course, they were all turned off, due to L.A. County's COVID-19 rules.... because if you're trying not to get sick, you should avoid drinking water, right?

I'm glad to see them installed, anyway. One of my biggest gripes about this park was that the Coke FreeStyle machines do not dispense plain water and the drinking fountains typically did not have sufficient flow to fill up a water bottle - so the only way to get water was to wait in a food line.