TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

20 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

"But everything in SoCal is expensive..."  This was the rationale used to explain the ridiculous HitP drive-through price, so I guess it applies here too?

I did pay $65 to do Stranger Things.  That was pretty excellent, IMO.   A car show?  I just don't get it.  I'm a car guy, and I don't go to car shows to drive by cars.  I want to look and see what's been done to them.  The cars in Holiday in the Park were the weakest part.  But, I can't fault SFMM for coming up with something to bring in some money. 

I'm so not a car show person either... but I do definitely think there's an audience for this.  Like, whenever I do the Universal Studios Tour, one of the areas that gets the most attention for pictures is the part where they show cars from movies.  People eat it up, for reasons beyond me.

Also, keep in mind that West Coast Customs is SoCal based.... their headquarters are right in Burbank.  So there's likely a stronger fan base for it here.  Which is probably a big reason this wouldn't work so well at any other SF park.

While it's not an event I'm really interested in, and probably not many on this board, it isn't even trying to appeal to a coaster crowd.  This is a totally different audience.  And while I don't think it'll be as popular as their HitP event (which can appeal to a very broad base), I think it'll likely find a decent draw. 

This didn't come out of nowhere.  SFMM sent out a survey last year about other possible Drive Thru events, and this was one of the options they listed.  I suspect it got enough positive response on that survey to warrant making it happen.

My brother is a total car nut and would love to do something like this. He's been wanting to ride West Coast Racers for the theming alone (regardless of what the coaster is like), but COVID hit. I think the appeal is definitely there.

As someone else said, I don't think this would work anywhere else besides Southern California. The LA street-racing, car enthusiast crowd is very prominent and I think Six Flags is genius for taking advantage of that and building West Coast Racers and theming the entire area around it, as well as doing this event when the park is closed.

• Like 1

It’s not like this event has a high cost to produce (might have even been part of the original deal with WCC, only they obviously intended for it to be a typical car show), so more power to them if they can get some people some work and make a little profit.

My guess is either WCC is providing all the cars, or likely calling up their clients and saying “hey, want some free tickets to magic mountain whenever it reopens? Just gotta come up for a few hours on these weekends.”

It’s not like this event has a high cost to produce (might have even been part of the original deal with WCC, only they obviously intended for it to be a typical car show), so more power to them if they can get some people some work and make a little profit.

My guess is either WCC is providing all the cars, or likely calling up their clients and saying “hey, want some free tickets to magic mountain whenever it reopens? Just gotta come up for a few hours on these weekends.”

Yah. I mean out here in woodland hills there used to be a super car “show” every weekend in the Westfield Promenade and it was always packed.

https://yelp.to/lMke30hN7db

http://www.supercarsunday.com/about-us/

LA is one of the few places where something like this WOULD succeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the main selling point is still the novelty of being able to drive your car through the park.

The people into car culture want to be able to see the cars up close, talk to the owners about the car, and geek out with fellow car enthusiasts. Driving by them likely isn’t exciting.

On 2/16/2021 at 11:04 PM, MagicMountainMan said:

I totally agree, but unfortunately entertainment isn't something that really makes the park any money directly (seasonal events notwithstanding). I worked various jobs for and adjacent to the Entertainment department for over 4 years and they cut the Entertainment budget every single season. It's just not something that Six Flags prioritizes at all. It requires time, effort, and money to pull off good entertainment and Six Flags has shown absolutely no willingness to support it. A lot of talented individuals from Entertainment and other departments have gotten their start at Six Flags and almost none of them stay there.

I could go on for hours complaining, but at the end of the day entertainment is just not in the Six Flags business model.

I'll admit, I was not much of an entertainment park guest until the last couple years, but I've come to believe it's important to the overall park experience.  People need something to do besides wait in line and some way to form memories with other people instead of just machines.

But you're right though.  That's just not something that current era Six Flags is interested in.  Which is such a shame, because they've got really quality IP available in both D.C. and Looney Tunes that could make for a gold mine of entertainment.  And Magic Mountain is capable of it.... the Batman shows were cheesy but exciting, and had great production value.

• 2 weeks later...

A saw an email from a passholder who did already pay, and they were told they'll be able to redeem 2 free park passes once the park reopens.

Also, when I looked, it seems they also lowered the price.  It's now only $49 per car, as long as you have 4 people or less in the car.  If you have more than 4, then the price does go up.

^From just two events?  And it's not like there's really all that much of an alternative.  Six Flags isn't exactly known for their food, so I don't think a food event is in their cards.

In any case, I do think one key difference is this is a daytime event.  Even though I'm not a car person, it'll just be nice to see the park in daylight.

Oh, and I did get my email for members, lol

5 hours ago, ryder said:

A saw an email from a passholder who did already pay, and they were told they'll be able to redeem 2 free park passes once the park reopens.

Also, when I looked, it seems they also lowered the price.  It's now only $49 per car, as long as you have 4 people or less in the car.  If you have more than 4, then the price does go up.

that's pretty fair, i guess. lol

I would really REALLY like to see a TR on this Event.

Shots of cars, standing still.

Awesome. 😋

IMG_7911.JPG.14cf39a05c7a8f4daac2ddf76ed5598d.JPG

We've had a "Car Show" at the PNE once or twice. Had to walk by it, though.

This one was in the 2018 Fair. Opposite the Hastings Horse Race Track, which also runs during The Fair.

It appears my first guess was correct: there isn’t much appeal for a car show where you can’t get up close to the cars.

They should just go for broke at this point and ask the Governor for an exception to open in a limited capacity since its all outdoors and he’s apparently on track to approve fans for MLB games regardless of the tier in time for opening day early April...

17 minutes ago, Jew said:

It appears my first guess was correct: there isn’t much appeal for a car show where you can’t get up close to the cars.

They should just go for broke at this point and ask the Governor for an exception to open in a limited capacity since its all outdoors and he’s apparently on track to approve fans for MLB games regardless of the tier in time for opening day early April...

I really hope he allows the park to open before summer, that would be the most ideal but it's far fetched. Anytime before June is going to be a huge victory

California made an announcement that they are going to change the daily new cases per 100,000 threshold once enough poor people get vaccinated.  This should happen in a couple weeks and again in a couple of months.  The increase will be "slight" with no actual new tier ranges mentioned but it should get counties opened quicker.  

Section from March 4th press release relating to re-opening:  https://www.gov.ca.gov/2021/03/04/california-leads-with-public-health-and-vaccine-equity-to-safely-and-sustainably-reopen/

"Consistent with the disproportionate impact of the virus, the state is modifying the Blueprint for a Safer Economy to lead with opening activities when vaccines have been deployed to the hardest-hit communities. This modification will shift Blueprint tier thresholds to allow slightly higher case rates per 100,000 population once more inoculations have occurred in the communities suffering the most, allowing counties to move to less restrictive tiers. 

The initial goal of the vaccine equity metric is to deliver a minimum of 2 million doses to the hardest-hit quarter of the state as measured by the Healthy Places Index. The state has currently delivered 1.6 million doses to this quarter of the state. It is estimated that 2 million doses will be delivered in the vaccine equity quartile sometime in the next two weeks.

Once that threshold is reached, the Blueprint for a Safer Economy will be updated to allow for somewhat higher case rates in each tier, with an overall effect of allowing counties to loosen health restrictions at a somewhat accelerated, but still responsible, pace. The Blueprint will be updated again when 4 million doses have been administered in the vaccine equity quartile."

I was wrong too.  Rides are coming!  Did anyone else notice the date is April 1st?  Don't make an April fool of me California :-(  You better re-open.

https://ktla.com/news/california/some-outdoor-ballparks-stadiums-and-theme-parks-eligible-to-reopen-april-1-in-california-state-officials-announce/

"Amusement and theme parks:

counties in the red tier: limited to 15% capacity

counties in the orange tier: limited to 25% capacity

counties in the yellow tier: limited to 35% capacity

no indoor dining

limits on indoor rides

In addition, theme parks should only be accepting visitors from inside the state of California, Ghaly said during a news briefing Friday, adding that a statewide travel advisory remains in place."

I think it's important to note a few things in the 'reopening' news...

- Parks CAN reopen April 1st if they're in the correct tier. This could change. And Orange County and LA county are sometimes not the same tier.

- California residents only.

- Just because they CAN open doesn't mean they will, I could see them waiting a few weeks to make sure they are ready and numbers are still trending in the right direction. 

From what I have read a county has to meet the requirements for a tier for 3 weeks before it qualifies which would actually allow a park to open.  Right now only CGA would be allowed to open, no other park is located in a county in the correct tier.

This whole reopening system still seems like garbage that’s not really based on what it should be.  The rules as written allow CGA to open but require SFDK to stay closed which is just crazy.  But then frankly shopping at a grocery store is likely more dangerous then visiting an outdoor amusement park.

• Like 2

It's California.  I'm not holding my breath.  Unless the Recall Newsom endeavor is about to reach their verified signature goal, in which case he'll throw everything out the window and pull a Texas,

• Like 2